PU/Latex/Memory Foam Mattress
Oct 28, 2007 7:19 PM
Has anyone put together a mattress with PU base, latex in the middle, and memory foam on top? I was laying on a Simmons ComforPedic the other day with this configuration. It felt like Temperpedic support laying in it, but it didn’t have that hard feel when you roll over or sit on it – it actually had a little spring to it. When I was looking at it in a showroom, I was able to see some of the specs on the sheet the sales person was holding:

Top layer: 4.5” 5.5lb memory foam – ILD unknown, but possibly 2 different foam ILDs (springs back faster than Temperpedic)
    Middle layer: 2" 24 ILD latex (said it was to dissipate heat)
    Bottom: 7" 30 ILD foam (I'm assuming it's PU, but I'm not sure???)

From what I've been reading about foam lately, I thought a combination like this would be too soft, but it was really supportive. After laying in it for awhile, it did seem a lot cooler and more comfortable than a Temperpedic. The price for the above configuration was $4200. Any ideas on putting one together for a lot cheaper?

Re: PU/Latex/Memory Foam Mattress
Reply #41 Nov 11, 2007 10:11 AM
Does anyone have ideas for a inexpensive boxspring style, slat foundation? I'm going to try to return my 2.25 year old mattress (or should I say...hammock) to Costco this week. If they take it, I won't have the option of trying to firm-up the boxsprings. I noticed SleepEZ sells them, but they're a little too expensive for me.
Reply #42 Nov 11, 2007 12:10 PM
Flexible slat foundation video.
Reply #43 Nov 11, 2007 1:22 PM
How about a non-flexible slat foundation, or other style that will work with foam mattresses?
Reply #44 Nov 11, 2007 3:34 PM
Steve, in another thread, this Ikea adjustable slat foundation was suggested as the least expensive alternative. I have no experience with it, but it looks like it would work in a standard king metal frame (which has a support down the middle.) Of course, I'd ask Ikea if it would work. By the way, what foam layers did you order? (And please report back here with results when it all arrives.)
This message was modified Nov 11, 2007 by donw
Reply #45 Nov 11, 2007 4:03 PM
haysdb, did you give your Isoform sample the "blow through" test that you did with Venus? Does it compare?
Reply #46 Nov 11, 2007 9:19 PM
I just ordered a 3" Sensus topper for now - it should be delivered by Tuesday. I'm going to see if Costco will allow me to return my current mattress and box spring before I purchase anything else. If I can't return it, I'll probably use the box spring as my foundation. It seems to be very ridged when I walk on it - there really is no spring to it. I'm still undecided on what layers to go with. I was reading the legacy forum and it sounds like a number of people had a problem with sinking into latex too far and that seems to be the source of my lower back pain now, so that leaves poly foam for my support layers. I'm tossing around the idea of going with FBM 2.0 density foam with the hopes of getting a couple years out of it. I would at least give me some sort of idea what ILD will work for me before I spend too much money on something that doesn't. If I go the FBM route, I'll probably go with a 5" and a 3" layer of 50 ILD and 36 ILD, but I'm not sure what one will be what. I would assume the 50 ILD my be too hard for anything but the very bottom?
Reply #47 Nov 12, 2007 10:37 AM
Foam Nerd
PU and Latex ILD's seem to be different. I cannot explain the discrepancy since the ILD's are measured in exactly the same way, but for a given ILD, PU will be more firm. I have a couple of ILD 55 samples and they are VERY firm. I can't really imagine using this foam anywhere but the bottom layer, and 2" to 3" would seem to be more than enough. Alas, this isn't based on experience, but only my subjective impressions based on some foam samples.

Donw, the sample of Isoform I have is a very open celled foam. Whether this translates into it sleeping cooler than other memory foams I can't say, but intuitively one would expect this to be true.

This foam felt fairly firm when I first got it. Now that it is broken in, I would call it one of the softer memory foams. That's very subjective since my samples are of various thicknesses. This may have a lot to do with how permeable it it. Because air escapes from it so readily, it has a softer feel.

Something else that has changed since it's gotten broken in - it seems to recover quicker now than it did initially. I initially commented that this felt like a very "slow" foam. Initially it recovered similarly to the FoamByMail foam. It's definitely a "Slow Recovery Foam," but it recovers it's shape within about 3 seconds vs. 4 to 5 for the FBM foam. Sensus and Venus are faster still, recovering their full height in about 2 seconds. Sleep-Aid is a 1-second foam. Some cheap "memory foam" I have can't even be called memory foam because it recovers instantly.
This message was modified Nov 12, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #48 Nov 12, 2007 11:09 AM
Haysdb - I guess that info takes care of my indecisiveness. 2" to 3" of the 50 ILD or 55 ILD (depends on what website of Foam Factory you go to - they list different ILDs for the same stuff) and 5" of the 36 ILD on that. That will give me a little room in a 12" cover to fit a latex layer if I feel the need for a little more cushion. Would you consider this configuration to be firm enough with good support, yet be comfortable...obviously "comfortable" is subjective.

When stacking all this foam, can I expect my finished thickness of the mattress to be less because of the weight of the upper layers of foam compressing the lower layers? Should I shoot for a 13" size to fit in a 12" case?
Reply #49 Nov 12, 2007 1:45 PM
Does anyone know of a good price on a 12" King cover that zippers around at least three sides. The one I was previously looking at on eBay is no longer available. It was only $35 too.
Reply #50 Nov 12, 2007 4:12 PM
Steve, I think you are on the right track, leaving room for a 1" layer of 20ILD latex. If it works the way it is, then you're done, but if you need softer, you could always add it. Most of the support issues people have had with latex have been with 100% latex. Since you can't get soft PU foam with high density, it makes sense to use latex for the comfort layers and dense PU for the base layers. I would still consider the more dense (HQ) foam for the base layers - it's maybe $160 more? And it'll last 15 years or so.

Recent Posts