the problem with solid latex pillows
Sep 11, 2007 1:31 PM
Okay, here is why I think a lot of people have problems with them. Because of the bounce back (push back) feature of latex, it is extremely difficult to get the exact softness/loft combination to align your head properly with your back. With the two solid latex pillows I've tried so far, one held my head slightly too high and was not soft enough for me and the other let me go to low. Its softness felt great (didn't push back on my jaw too hard) but the position in which my head was held was not right. Last night, I tried placing a folded towel under the soft one (LI Rejuvenite pillow) and it placed my head in the perfect position while maintaining the softness. This lack of adjustability is why some have tried the granulated latex pillows, but some say that the granules tend to disperse in the night. Maybe what we need is a "FloPillow" system, where you can try various thin layers of latex of different firmness?
Re: the problem with solid latex pillows
Reply #1 Sep 12, 2007 9:40 AM
donw wrote:
Okay, here is why I think a lot of people have problems with them. Because of the bounce back (push back) feature of latex, it is extremely difficult to get the exact softness/loft combination to align your head properly with your back. With the two solid latex pillows I've tried so far, one held my head slightly too high and was not soft enough for me and the other let me go to low. Its softness felt great (didn't push back on my jaw too hard) but the position in which my head was held was not right. Last night, I tried placing a folded towel under the soft one (LI Rejuvenite pillow) and it placed my head in the perfect position while maintaining the softness. This lack of adjustability is why some have tried the granulated latex pillows, but some say that the granules tend to disperse in the night. Maybe what we need is a "FloPillow" system, where you can try various thin layers of latex of different firmness?

That is a good idea.  The latex kit for pillows.  I'm surprised that doesn't already exist, considering the popularity of latex mattress kits.

Call up LI and tell them to start slicing their pillows, just as they do with their mattress cores.

If you find someone who makes this happen, please let us know.
Reply #2 Sep 15, 2007 12:48 AM
Mequonjim, That is a good idea to have a tight zipped up cover (can cover in sizes for this also depending on the thickness of the pillow) that will hold the sliced pieces of latex so we can exchange the pillow latex cores to get the exact height and pillow softness or firmness one desires. I had the perfect latex pillow for over 14.5 years that finally fell apart (I am sure it should have been replaced a lot sooner) and I had no choice but to look around again. This time Fortunoff did not have too many choices like they did years ago. I had to go online to get a natural latex pillow and despite liking my pillows from Overstock.com, I wish they were a little softer and with a little less loft/height.  I will let everyone know how I like the low profile soft standard Talalay Pillow when I get it.  I am still sure this pillow latex kit would work better.

Reply #3 Sep 15, 2007 1:42 PM
Foam Nerd
How would a "kit" pillow work? If you take a solid latex pillow and slice it into layers, each layer will be a different size. A pillow made of latex layers all the same size would have the shape of a brick.

I suppose you could have just two pieces, "cores" and the outer clam-shaped pieces, but in order to provide different lofts, the cores themselves would have to be maybe 1" slices or something, and you would need a different pillowcase for each loft. Given the fabrication costs and "inventory" issues, such a pillow would be very expensive if it were to be profitable to sell.

How about bags of shredded latex in different densities? I have never slept on a shredded latex pillow, so I don't know if this makes any sense at all, I'm just trying to think outside my little box.
haysdb: the problem with solid latex pillows
Reply #4 Sep 15, 2007 5:14 PM
haysdb, I think you are right, a latex kit type of pillow will not be cost effective to make and the most they could do is have latex pieces to unzip and put inside to get the height and firmness. I never tried latex pieces before and always used solid latex for my pillow but it is something I could consider one day. 
Reply #5 Sep 16, 2007 2:38 AM
Foam Nerd
Are solid latex pillows measured in terms of loft and ILD? I've been perusing websites, and so far have only come across one that mentioned an ILD, which they said was between 10 and 15.

If I knew the ILD of the Nuform pillow at Bed, Bath & Beyond, at least I would know what is way too firm. The loft would probably be OK if the pillow were a lot softer. My head hardly sunk in at all but just laid there on top of the pillow like it was a balloon.

There definitely has to be a better way to finding the right pillow.
Reply #6 Sep 19, 2007 12:20 PM
An update on my quest for the perfect latex pillow. As you may have seen in another post, I tried the Posturpedic solid latex and was disappointed yet again. So I created my own home-made shredded pillow by picking the Posturpedic into little pieces and placing them in its zippered cover. This has worked pretty good, but the night before last, I felt like it had a little too much loft. So for last night, I pulled out a good sized handful of the shreds. I slept very well, without the "too high feeling." I do believe someone could sell a shredded latex kit that allows you to readily adjust the amount of latex. ILD firmness of the shreds would also be an interesting adjustment, but would probably be a little expensive for the average consumer.
Reply #7 Sep 19, 2007 12:53 PM
Foam Nerd
Some sort of adjustability needs to be provided.

I was researching Kapok pillows and found one place that sells it by the pound along with zippered covers in three sizes. That's the closest thing I have seen to a "kit" pillow.
Reply #9 Sep 19, 2007 6:33 PM
Wow! So there is a "FlowPillow". I still think I would like my $40 shredded latex pillow better.

Recent Posts