A problem I had with ZONING my mattress
Feb 23, 2008 10:08 PM
As most of you know I have been experimenting with my mattress which basically consists of, top to bottom, top 1/3 zone to middle 1/3 zone:

TOP 1/3 of mattress (shoulder area)
1" soft PU foam
1" medium HR foam
2" soft visco foam
springs

MIDDLE 1/3 of mattress (hip area)
1" soft PU foam
1" medium HR foam
1" very firm HR foam
1/2" super firm HR foam
springs

This is my current configuration which seems to work pretty well so far, though I'm still experimenting.

But at first the zones I had made were killing my back and I figured out why:

On the next to top layer, under the soft pu layer, I had different densities of foam so there was a line right at my waist which was the division between, say, a medium one
inch layer and a firm one inch layer. So that "line" where the medium piece met the firm piece was actually creating a pressure point or line of pressure all the way across
my waist, or above my waist (25" down from the top of the mattress).

What I realized is that I HAVE to have the same density of foam on that top layer (next to top layer, not counting the topper, it's the top layer). Otherwise I was getting a line of pressure across my waist from the difference in densities. I assume I also need to have the topper be an even firmness all the way down the length of the mattress.)

So once I began using Medium firmness or medium ILD for that next-to-top layer for both my top 1/3 and the middle 1/3 of my mattress, that pressure line disappeared and
now I am doing much better! I still have a much softer top 1/3 for my neck area, however, by making the layers UNDER the top layers be much softer for my shoulders.

This may not be true for everyone, but it was certainly true for me!

Hope this might help someone who is zoning. I'm curious if anyone else has ever run into this problem.

Recent Posts