Preference to buy your mattress via the web or local store?
Mar 21, 2012 10:51 AM
Blockbuster has been replaced with NetFlix, Redbox and others.  Will local mattress stores ever be replaced by these e-Mattress stores?  I say no because one must touch and feel a mattress.  You can't just click and say 'oh that looks comfy'.  Give me some feedback here please....
Re: Preference to buy your mattress via the web or local store?
Reply #1 Mar 21, 2012 1:05 PM
After years of going to the "sleep stores" or department stores for mattresses I finally did some real research. Local/Regional manufacturers are the best bets for truly high quality bedding. Here in the Northeast you can look at companies like Gardner Mattress, Portland Mattress Makers, Daly Bros (Maiden Maine), Yankee Mattress Factory and many others. They make great products with multiple options from basic innerspring to latex.
Reply #2 Mar 21, 2012 3:20 PM
I would have to say I'm in the camp that still needs to be able to test out a mattress before making a decision. Even with all of the great local mattress manufactures I keep hearing so much about, at the end of the day I would still need to be able to test out the mattress to determine if it meets my comfort level.
Reply #3 Mar 21, 2012 4:09 PM
aerial_22 wrote:

I would have to say I'm in the camp that still needs to be able to test out a mattress before making a decision. Even with all of the great local mattress manufactures I keep hearing so much about, at the end of the day I would still need to be able to test out the mattress to determine if it meets my comfort level.

Almost all have local showrooms and some have showrooms in other towns too.

Reply #4 Mar 21, 2012 4:14 PM
SRNH, can you provide some local companies in the Austin, TX area?
Reply #5 Mar 21, 2012 4:27 PM
aerial_22 wrote:

SRNH, can you provide some local companies in the Austin, TX area?

Taylor bedding is a Texas company with some very nice products. Their mattresses are carried at Zanzibar's, Simply Austin and Matrezzz Guys.

SleepWorld ( www.sleepworld.net ) has some nice materials in their mattresses and they are made right in Austin.

Hope those help.

Reply #6 Mar 21, 2012 4:34 PM
Aerial also do not forget you can haggle. If you can't get a discount at least haggle for free delivery, mattress pads, sheets.

Recent Posts