Pillow review: Simmons Beautyrest firm latex
Sep 13, 2007 12:06 PM
Okay, I received the pillow from Amazon in 2 days- wow! But... it was still not right - too firm, inspite of the reviews on Amazon saying it was very soft. I'd say it is even more firm than the JCPenney one. Prabably the same ILD, but smaller holes, so my head was held higher, yet. So I spent 3 hours tearing it up. I tried the food processor, but it didn't work - just bounced the pieces around. I used my finger and thumb (of both hands) to pick it apart, making tiny pieces - very tedious. But it was well worth it. I slept on it last night, and my head went to just the right level, with the granules cradling it perfectly. Another upside is that since I have a zippered cover, I can remove latex as needed to adjust the firmness. If you have one of the store-bought shredded latex pillows, and are unhappy with the loft, I would recommend transferring its latex into a zippered cover and adjusting the quantity of latex. It should work like a charm.
Re: Pillow review: Simmons Beautyrest firm latex
Reply #1 Sep 13, 2007 4:53 PM
I'm glad that worked.  Maybe I will try that with my JCPenney zoned latex pillow.  Maybe that mixed with my Natura DreamMate pillow, which is already shredded.  The Natura DreamMate is too high of an ILD to be used alone.  It is so firm, that I would only consider it for side sleeping, but even then I want some cush with all of that support.

Congratulations on your new pillow, & thanks for sharing your success.
Reply #2 Sep 13, 2007 6:21 PM
Foam Nerd
donw, very clever.

I've been sleeping with a Tempu-Pedic "body pillow" for a few weeks now, and it's starting to get broken in so it's not so "hard", but it's still not exactly right. I like the body pillow because it gives me something to lean against, but I would like something more compliant. Down is just too soft for me, as is poly fill. I did try one latex pillow, but the loft was way too much and it was way too firm. It never occurred to me to rip it apart. :-)
Reply #3 Sep 14, 2007 11:53 PM
I just purchased the JCPenny home collection zoned latex foam pillow. It's a medium, standard size.  Is this the one you had purchased? Just wondering if I will be tearing foam tomorrow. I had read some posts on the other site and thought this was a good one ....... Any input to contribute?  Oops, sorry I read further down the forum and found your other posts and see the info.
This message was modified Sep 15, 2007 by midfla1
Reply #4 Sep 15, 2007 12:12 AM
I am waiting for Dave to send me a low profile (5.5")Plush (very soft) Talalay Latex Pillow. He sent me a Queen and it is the perfect softness but too high in loft.  If I like the pillow, I will let everyone know and I may get a second one. I already have 4 standard natural latex pillows from Overstock.com that I like but always wished were a little softer and a little lower in height.  I have a feeling my pillow is the Simmons Beautyrest firm latex.  So if I like this pillow and others like it also, Dave at FlowBeds.com will start to sell it is also if there is a market for the pillow. 

I never thought about putting the Latex in a blender and taking some of the pieces out so I have less loft but if I get desperate that is what I will do. The pain in my neck is the worse since I had the car accident three weeks ago.   I need a lower pillow due to my only 4"10.75" height. I sleep on my side but do not like my head too far up. I dislike the feel feel of down pillows and I do not like polyester pillows.

Recent Posts