Pianoman's latex-foam hybrid mattress setup w/PICS!
Jun 4, 2010 7:15 AM
My order of PU foam for my DIY Eastern King latex-foam hybrid mattress from foamdistributing.com arrived yesterday. It included six 82" x 76" x 1" Lux foam skins, plus a 15 lb. bag of shredded memory foam and a 72" x 5" poly round bolster. (I'm going to use the shredded memory foam to try and make my own king size pillows, and I plan to cut the poly round bolster into five 14" lengths to be used for back/lumbar support when sitting).

Everything arrived safely and well-boxed. Here are some pics of the order...

The order shipped in four boxes. I opened one box, then remembered to start taking pics...

Contents in boxes... mostly

Contents unboxed but still in outer plastic shrink wrap...

Contents still in all plastic

Contents with all shrink wrap removed. Note that the contents are packed in an inner, "non-shrinked" plastic bag. They've also expanded somewhat...

Contents with all shrink wrap removed

All six layers unpacked and layered on top of one another (bolster and memory foam can be seen underneath piano)...

All six layers together

The next six are shots of each layer. These are "crusts" or "skins", so the sides that were against the mold are not pretty. As you can see, the reverse sides are all uniformly beautiful...

Layer #1:

Layer #1

Layer #2:

Layer #2

Layer #3:

Layer #3

Layer #4:

Layer #4

Layer #5:

Layer #5

Layer #6:

Layer #6

I also recorded the dimensions and the weight for each layer and calculated the approximate density of the foam...

Actual Foam Specs

I was pleased to discover that the average density of 2.75 is nearly that of their Lux-HQ foam which is spec'd at 2.8. I was afraid I was going to get something closer to 1.8, which is the density of their Lux-R foam.

Finally, I was surprised at how much give there was to the foam when I began handling it. It seemed much softer than I imagined it would be. Once the six layers were in place on the floor and I lay down on it, however, it seemed firm.

But the proof will be in the pudding. Come on, latex order, hurry up! More pics then...

6/12/2010 UPDATELatex Arrived Yesterday... Pics Below!

The three 2" LI Talatech layers arrived from SleepEZ yesterday. Here are some pics...

The order shipped in one box (65 lbs.)...

SleepEZ Order — Boxed

Unboxed, still in vacuum-packed plastic...

SleepEZ Order — Unboxed

Platform Bed Frame (for assembly pics see Wal-Mart Premier Platform Bed Frame (King) — Assembly & Report)...

Wal-Mart Frame Assembled

Bed frame covered with cardboard from bed frame shipping box...

Bed frame and cardboard with 1" Lux-HQ foam skin on top...

Bed frame, cardboard and 1" foam skin with Luna 11" King Mattress Encasement open on three sides and with sides folded down over frame. Fourth "attached" side is in front with top folded up under front of bed frame. This mattress protector with "three-sided zipper" (according to Luna website) actually has only two sides zippered. It starts in one corner and goes completely to the opposite corner. I was very frustrated and disappointed to find this out but didn't want to return it and have to wait to obtain a true three-sided zippered cover so I used a utility knife to cut the third side open. Once the layers were in place, I duct-taped the side back together from the inside out.

All layers in place — five 1" PU foam skins, two 2" 32 ILD Talatech layers and one 2" 24 ILD Talatech layer...

Finished Mattress!!! Sides have been pulled up, "cut" side (top left) duct-taped from inside out, other two sides zipped shut, and the cover is truly a perfect fit. Yesssss!!!

So how does it feel? See the rest of this thread for comfort reports and updates.

This message was modified Jun 15, 2010 by pianoman
Re: Pianoman's latex-foam hybrid mattress setup
Reply #4 Jun 4, 2010 2:54 PM
sandman wrote:

What is the ILD of the skins?   They are cheaper because they are the end pieces?

ILD of the Lux foam skins is 50. Yes, they're cheaper ($17 vs. $41) because they're the end pieces.

I have no way to compare with the non-skin Lux-HQ foam, but I have noticed a bit of irregularity in the thickness of these layers. One is noticably thicker than 1" and two are noticably thinner. Also, the thickness varies some within each piece itself. Generally the outside fourths toward the sides gradually thin just a bit. So when all six 1" layers are piled on top of each other, there is a small but noticable decline sloping toward the side edges. I don't believe this will negatively affect the function in any way. I would think that this "issue" would be virtually nonexistent if the core was one solid 5" block instead of five 1" blocks (my sixth layer will go between my mattress and my platform... "pretty" side up, btw... LOL). Any slight irregularities in the cut would not be multiplied by five as they are in my situation.

This message was modified Jun 12, 2010 by pianoman
Reply #5 Jun 5, 2010 10:50 PM
Interesting. Nice photo essay. Look forward to hearing how you like it.
Reply #6 Jun 10, 2010 8:38 PM
Latex supposed to arrive from SleepEZ tomorrow! Getting a little excited!
Reply #7 Jun 10, 2010 8:45 PM
pianoman wrote:

Also, the thickness varies some within each piece itself. Generally the outside fourths toward the sides gradually thin just a bit. So when all six 1" layers are piled on top of each other, there is a small but noticable decline sloping toward the side edges. I don't believe this will negatively affect the function in any way. I would think that this "issue" would be virtually nonexistent if the core was one solid 5" block instead of five 1" blocks (my sixth layer will go between my mattress and my platform... "pretty" side up, btw... LOL). Any slight irregularities in the cut would not be muliplied by five as they are in my situation.

I could probably solve any slope issue by cutting half of my pieces in half (so they are TwinXL sizes) and orienting them so that they taper toward the middle of the bed. This would offset the aforementioned downward slope toward the edges.

Reply #8 Jun 12, 2010 10:01 PM
Latex arrived yesterday. Bed frame and mattress are now assembled, sheets are washed and on the bed and my wife just told me she's turning in for the night. I'll give you updates as the days go by.

Also, I just added pics of the frame, latex and mattress assembly in my original post in this thread, so check it out if you're interested. G'nite!

This message was modified Jun 12, 2010 by pianoman
Reply #9 Jun 12, 2010 10:24 PM
Ha!! cheeky You win for most motivated! I concede (though I did do one more configuration I hadn't thought of, until Shaun recommended it). I hope it works for you.
Reply #10 Jun 12, 2010 11:36 PM
cynicaljones wrote:

Ha!! cheeky You win for most motivated! I concede (though I did do one more configuration I hadn't thought of, until Shaun recommended it). I hope it works for you.

I hope so, too, 'cause getting back into the mattress to make any changes is going to mean more surgery! (Darn two-sided zipper. Remind me to call or email Luna Monday and see what the deal is with their "3-sided zipper".)

What's your latest configuration?

Reply #11 Jun 13, 2010 12:11 AM
Just soft over firm, just the two layers. So far, I've had the best nights' sleep since I've had the bed. Hopefully, I'll be able to determine if I need to exchange my medium layer for a F or XF
Reply #12 Jun 13, 2010 9:45 PM
Hey Pianoman ... Great post how is it working for you?  Is it comfortable?  Do you do much Jazz ... ?cool
Reply #13 Jun 13, 2010 9:50 PM
Well I've had only one night on it and my sleep was fitful, but that's 'cause I got a little sunburnt Friday. In fact, I still hurt today! (Gotta love that "farmer's tan"... brown neck and arms. Hey, I only had my shirt off an hour! Course it was midday...)

I'm going to give it a few nights before passing any judgment. I'll plan to update on Wednesday, 6/16.

This message was modified Jun 16, 2010 by pianoman

Recent Posts