overstuffing mattress case with foam layers
Dec 1, 2010 3:33 PM
i have a sleepez bed that I keep trying to soften by adding more layers of foam in the case. So I now have 4.5 layers in a case meant for 3 layers. The case still zips, but I wonder if I am compressing the foam so much that it is affecting the feel. I have talalay latex, which always felt springy to me, but I am wondering if this made it more springy? Or if this is bad for the foam? 
Re: overstuffing mattress case with foam layers
Reply #21 Dec 4, 2010 4:54 PM
OK ... thanks.

"I am sure I started out with 1" then 2", then 3", etc. etc. toppers.  When I had less I believe I had back pain."

This is also really helpful information as it "points to" a thinner layer being fine for your hips, but we need to make sure it is supportive (has enough resilience) to fill in the small of your back.

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 4, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #22 Dec 4, 2010 4:58 PM
Phoenix wrote:

Anyway, given that these 4 layers felt too firm, do I really want to try just 3?

Yes please (smiling). And preferably with the convoluted latex on top.

Since you would not be bottoming out onto your base with 4 layers, the "firmness" is coming from an inside layer. It's always best and easiest to find a simple reference point first and work from there. This more simple beginning point will do a lot to help decide where to go from there. I'm "targeting" certain layers to gain information.

Before we start, are you sure your wife will be OK with this as we will likely be making a few changes to test effects over the next week or so. I would suggest trying each layering scheme for 2 nights unless it is so uncomfortable that you can't go to sleep on it.

OK, I'll try it. The big problem is what to do with the discarded layers and toppers. Right now they are on the floor in our room; thats the part wifey hates the most...

By the way, just read the link on poly foams. Interesting, altho difficult to fully understand. On the chart, I assume lower is better? I've always liked the feel of poly foam (ie my couch) more than latex (ie my bed) but worried that poly foams just weren't durable enough for bedding (esp given my weight). Maybe thats not true, and a poly layer would help?

Reply #23 Dec 4, 2010 5:02 PM
st3v3k4hn wrote:

OK, I'll try it. The big problem is what to do with the discarded layers and toppers. Right now they are on the floor in our room; thats the part wifey hates the most...

By the way, just read the link on poly foams. Interesting, altho difficult to fully understand. On the chart, I assume lower is better? I've always liked the feel of poly foam (ie my couch) more than latex (ie my bed) but worried that poly foams just weren't durable enough for bedding (esp given my weight). Maybe thats not true, and a poly layer would help?

removed.

This message was modified Dec 15, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #24 Dec 4, 2010 5:07 PM
Using a high quality polyfoam is always an option as a good quality HR foam is slightly less than latex with similar qualities (although in spite of what they say it's certainly not proven that they would last as long). They also I don't believe have the same point elasticity as latex so have some drawbacks there.

The chart was very interesting and I spent some time there to make sure I had a logical explanation for the different effects. One of the most interesting things is that ILD is only about the upper 25% of a layer. If you compress a HR foam that is softer in the upper 25% to 65% then it could be much firmer than a lower quality foam which starts off (first 25%) much firmer but doesn't have as much difference when it is compressed and so is softer with deeper compression. This is why compression modulus (sag factor, comfort factor etc) is so important as it is rare that someone actually sinks into a layer exactly 25%.

In other words ... the response curve of higher quality HR foam can start off softer but "curve upwards" faster and end up firmer in deeper parts of the layer. If latex was a polyfoam, it would be considered an HR foam. Different formulations of latex will also affect it's qualities although they would all be considered HR.

Phoenix

Reply #25 Dec 4, 2010 5:14 PM
Leo, (I need to start including who I'm replying to in this thread) :)

I'm going to spend a bit of time looking at all the things you tried before I give you any beginning ideas.

If you're game for this I am. Should we start a new thread to save confusion in this one or just leave it here?

Phoenix

Reply #26 Dec 4, 2010 5:57 PM
Phoenix wrote:

Leo, (I need to start including who I'm replying to in this thread) :)

I'm going to spend a bit of time looking at all the things you tried before I give you any beginning ideas.

If you're game for this I am. Should we start a new thread to save confusion in this one or just leave it here?

Phoenix

Yes, should start a new thread if Steve is getting confused.  But somehow I think we are both in the same boat..

This message was modified Dec 15, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #27 Dec 4, 2010 6:07 PM
OK ... lets start a new thread (leave you to start it since it's your project :)) I think it would also help others who may be in a similar boat and who wanted to follow the "logic" of each construction towards (hopefully) a resolution. If I'm getting confused remembering which construction I'm commenting on ... I can imagine that others might be as well (laughing).

And yes ... any videos or pictures that may help would certainly be welcome.

Phoenix

Reply #28 Dec 4, 2010 11:20 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Yes, should start a new thread if Steve is getting confused.  But somehow I think we are both in the same boat.... I am still going over my log.  I have concluded the 3/3 change did cause hip and back pain.  Sometimes I would write what happen on the next log....  Do you want to see a video of the last setup?

Not to worry, I am usually confused. smiley

Leo I've been reading thru your thread and yes it sounds like we are in the same boat. But separate threads still make sense. Best of luck to you...

Reply #29 Dec 5, 2010 7:14 PM
By the way Phoenix I am still here. We had guests this weekend (including tonite) and I normally throw the extra foam in the guest room so my wife asked me not to start experimenting until they leave (tomorrow). In the meantime I've been trying to read thru a bunch of your other posts and thinking back to my research. Truth is I've never spent more than 1/2 on a foam bed and liked it. They feel great in the store for that long, but that doesn't mean much (as I've since found). Is it possible that I would be better off with foam over inner springs? ie are they that different that I could be reasonably comfortable on springs but not on foam core? If you can remember any posts where you discuss this lemme know...

Steve

Reply #30 Dec 5, 2010 8:45 PM
It's been a busy day so I haven't had the chance to post in this thread with any comments yet.

Yes it certainly is possible however it is likely more a matter of preferred feel than the innersprings themselves as the same "issues" and "tradeoffs" of support and comfort apply with them as well. They are just a different approach.

More later ... but well before your guests leave :)

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by Phoenix

Recent Posts