overstuffing mattress case with foam layers
Dec 1, 2010 3:33 PM
i have a sleepez bed that I keep trying to soften by adding more layers of foam in the case. So I now have 4.5 layers in a case meant for 3 layers. The case still zips, but I wonder if I am compressing the foam so much that it is affecting the feel. I have talalay latex, which always felt springy to me, but I am wondering if this made it more springy? Or if this is bad for the foam? 
Re: overstuffing mattress case with foam layers
Reply #122 Dec 29, 2010 5:32 PM
Did I see light bulbs? :)

I am guessing that the "bad latex" came from FBM and not foamorder which is a much more reliable supplier. They are very open about what they sell and while their prices may not be the best, I would certainly have confidence that what I ordered from them was what they sent me ... unlike FBM.

I am assuming that when you are talking about ordering 2 pieces of firm you mean 2 half pieces ie. one complete layer? I'm hoping that's the case since I don't think you will need 2 firm layers.

If you have say 40+ ILD Dunlop under the medium Dunlop, then the medium dunlop would compress first and the top part would feel soft and so "add to" the 3" of comfort you have with the soft Talalay. It would then start to compress and get firmer faster and with this "deeper firmness" in combination with the firm Dunlop under could also give you the support you need. Once you have tried this ... any minor adjustments you may need will be much more clear.

I doubt that most people would feel the difference between blended and natural Talalay in a comfort layer but the natural in theory would be a little springier and resilient and perhaps a little bit more "point elastic". I really do doubt though that the difference is enough to make an issue of it.

I was mentioning the PLB and Rejuvenite as examples of what I might put over a thicker layer of Dunlop to "duplicate" the OMI. They wouldn't work for you because you already have 3" soft Talalay which should work fine. You may need a thin layer with this but the medium Dunlop could give you what you need if what is under it is firm enough to "make it compress" first.

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 29, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #123 Dec 29, 2010 5:43 PM
Yes, light bulb. FInally! I like to think I'm pretty smart but this sure took me long enough...

Anyway, I just got off the phone with Shaun at SleepEz. Told him what was going on and he recommended 1 piece of FIRM BLENDED TALALAY. He suggested I could put the firm over the medium dunlop. His reasoning was that either talalay or dunlop should be firm enough (in terms of support), but that the talalay would have a little more give / comfort and so it should help more with the pressure points. Your thoughts?

By the way, I think I am going to order a new terry cover because I can feel my sleepez cover is compressing (apparently I am a princess). smiley  So that means I really will just have 8.x" of foam and no other materials. So I really wonder if I should also but some sort of topper, either wool or wool/latex blend? Or do you think its better to try the new config and see?

Thanks (for the millionth time smiley)

Reply #124 Dec 29, 2010 6:07 PM
I partly agree with him and partly disagree. I can see his reasoning and it is "partly" valid IMO but I believe it could be risky.

With a firm thin layer over a softer layer (the medium Dunlop), you will not sink in as far into the softer layer below and this would help with alignment. It would help diminish the "sinking down". This is a good thing. I would probably be tempted to use a thin layer of the firmest Dunlop I could find to do this though rather than Talalay although the layer would be so thin it may not matter much. Dunlop is denser and would be "more like" a thin stiffer layer like we were talking about before than Talalay (and that you could feel made a difference). This is the part I agree with except I would use Dunlop to do it with if it had the same ILD (minor issue with a 1" layer)

In terms of pressure relief though it would be a different story. If the 1" layer was firm enough to stop the sinking down ... it's unlikely that it would make a big enough difference as a comfort layer. you would not sink "into" it enough to give you the extra "cradling" you may need. Yes, being thin it would "give" and may initially feel like you were "sinking in" but it would give more "as a whole" since the layers above and below are softer and would compress before it did. Even though it may "feel like" it was helping create a deeper cradle, it's unlikely it would really be doing this as well as the top part of your medium Dunlop (which it would dominate). This is the part of his advice I would consider to be "risky"

In other words ... if the 1" layer was firm enough to help with "sinking down" ... it may be too firm to help with "sinking in". If it was soft enough to help with "sinking in" then it wouldn't be firm enough to help with "sinking down". To do both you would need a thick enough middle layer where the combination of ILD (softness) and Sag factor (support) was meaningful in practice.

If I was going to use a "thin layer" approach, I would put the thin layer in between the two medium Dunlops and would probably use a thinner firmer layer rather than an inch of latex. If I was to use latex in this way (rather than an "insulator pad" type of layer), I would make it the absolute firmest I could find. I would think that even an inch of really stiff poly may also work with this approach. The goal of this thin layer approach would be to make the bottom medium Dunlop act "more like" firm Dunlop and "force" the middle dunlop to compress enough to add to pressure relief and cradling.

So bottom line ... If I was to use the "thin layer" approach ... It would probably be in between layers not "in exchange" for one of the mediums ... I would tend towards a non foam layer ... and If I used foam to do this (or at least test it) I would probably be with really firm poly with really firm Dunlop as the second choice.

Overall ... because the mattress would be thinner and because it would have a "dominating layer" in the middle, it would also reduce the "range" of the mattress which is it's ability to give both support and pressure relief in different sleeping positions with different needs.

Phoenix

Reply #125 Dec 29, 2010 6:23 PM
I think you misunderstood. He didn't suggest a 1" layer; he suggested one standard-size (3") layer. I think I confused you because I said "8.x" foam but thats still 3 standard pieces (just noting that each piece is really slightly less than 3").

As I said he just suggested that a firm talalay piece would help both give more support and ease pressure points. I have to say I just rejiggered my mattress to put the 2 medium dunlops on my side and the 2 medium talalays on the other side and I definitely prefer the all talalay side. It feels nicer on my shoulder and also on my back (the dunlop seems to press up into the small of my back more or something that feels slightly uncomfortable).

The problem with this approach is that the firm talalay may not be firm enough, even when in the middle of the stack. Also, I could end up with a slightly uneven bed (if I decide to use all talalay on my side that means I need to use at least 1 dunlop on my wife's side, theoretically that means different heights although I am not sure its noticeable)...

Reply #126 Dec 29, 2010 6:39 PM
OK ... I get it. At least we had the chance to include ideas about "thin dominating layers" in our discussion lol.

So now we need to talk about thick dominating layers (firmer over softer). Just to make sure I am clear ... he was suggesting from bottom up Medium Dunlop, Firm Talalay, Soft Talalay? I hope I have it right this time and this layering is the basis of my comments

The firm Talalay would "dominate" the medium Dunlop underneath it ... to a point ... until it compressed enough that it became firmer. This means that it would force the lower dunlop to compress without having the benefit of a middle layer compressing which would deepen your cradle and add to pressure relief. In other words it too would benefit you in terms of support but it would be much more like the Dunlop/soft Talalay on the floor except the lower Dunlop would compress before you "bottomed out" and i would not feel as "hard". I don't believe it would "deepen your cradle" enough though nearly as well as medium Dunlop. The first 25% of the medium Dunlop would be much softer than firm Talalay and I believe you need an inch or so of "softness" in the middle layer that can be part of your comfort layer.

The advantage of medium Dunlop in the middle layer over firm Talalay is that it "starts off softer" which you need and it "ends up firmer" (or at least the same) with more compression than the firm Talalay which you also need. If there was a really firm layer underneath this, then it would be the last to compress and would let the top two layers do what they do best.

Bottom line ... I disagree with Shawn as far as the likelihood of this layering to do both of the things you need compared to the Dunlop. I agree with him as far as it's likelihood to do one (alignment/support).

Phoenix

Reply #127 Dec 29, 2010 7:08 PM
Phoenix wrote:

So now we need to talk about thick dominating layers (firmer over softer). Just to make sure I am clear ... he was suggesting from bottom up Medium Dunlop, Firm Talalay, Soft Talalay? I hope I have it right this time and this layering is the basis of my comments.

Yes, you got it now. Shaun essentially said even at my weight the top 2 layers would bear 90% or more of the support, and that it hardly matters what the bottom layer is. Thats why 2 sided mattresses (say a 6" core with 2" soft on each side) work. 

So it sounds like you disagree with putting the firm talalay on top of the medium dunlop. On the other hand it sort of sounds like you like the idea of the medium dunlop on top of the firm talalay? Or are you saying just get the firm dunlop? (And I assume layer soft over med-dunlop over firm-dunlop?)

As I said I just tested the "dunlop" vs "talalay" and think I prefer the feel of talalay. I've tried soft over medium over firm all dunlop and that didn't work. I'm sort of curious to try soft over med over firm all talalay (which I could do if I get the firm talalay layer). And I could always swap a medium dunlop back in if its not firm enough...

Reply #128 Dec 29, 2010 7:35 PM
"Shaun essentially said even at my weight the top 2 layers would bear 90% or more of the support, and that it hardly matters what the bottom layer is. Thats why 2 sided mattresses (say a 6" core with 2" soft on each side) work."

While I agree that the top 2 layers create most of the effect ... I couldn't disagree with him more about the bottom layer having little effect. The laws of physics and "order of compression" completely contradict this as well as your own testing with 6" on the floor. The reason 2 sided mattresses like this work (including my own) is because it uses the laws of physics to advantage rather than disadvantage. A thin soft layer will rapidly compress and only allow a little "sinking down" (because it is softer and thinner) before the thicker middle layer of a 2 sided mattress "takes over". I don't like to disagree with anyone so strongly but in this case ... and with your one sided construction ... I'm sorry to say I have to.

So it sounds like you disagree with putting the firm talalay on top of the medium dunlop.

Since I've "black and white" disagreed enough for one day ... I'll just say I don't believe it's optimal.

On the other hand it sort of sounds like you like the idea of the medium dunlop on top of the firm talalay? Or are you saying just get the firm dunlop? (And I assume layer soft over med-dunlop over firm-dunlop?)

My preference would be the firm Dunlop if it was on the bottom. For the first 25% they would be the same firmness but after than the Dunlop (if it had the same 25% ILD) would be firmer and since firmness is what you need on the bottom ... why use Talalay when it would have no advantage? The only advantage of the Talalay would be if the bottom layer compressed less than 25% which is the only "level of compression" where it may be firmer than the Dunlop (it starts off firmer and ends up softer ... in other words the response curves "cross" as compression gets deeper). The firmer it is the more it will "encourage" the upper 2 layers to "interact" to your advantage.

As I said I just tested the "dunlop" vs "talalay" and think I prefer the feel of talalay. I've tried soft over medium over firm all dunlop and that didn't work. I'm sort of curious to try soft over med over firm all talalay (which I could do if I get the firm talalay layer). And I could always swap a medium dunlop back in if its not firm enough...

"Feel" is a very different thing and can mean many things. Some of the "feel" comes from what is on top and some of it comes from what is underneath. For example how an innerspring reacts can create a different feel even it it's ability to provide comfort and support is the same as a different material. If the feel you mean would really come from the lowest layer of talalay and if it was important enough to you ...  then yes it would make sense to use Talalay over Dunlop even at a "tradeoff" of pressure relief and/or support. I guess what I am trying to get to is whether the "feel" you mean is coming from the upper 3" (in which case using Dunlop in the lower layers would make no difference since the top is already Talalay) or if the "feel" you are meaning is coming from the deeper layers (in which case you would be trading the "feel" for something else).

The risk in using a middle medium Talalay over a medium Dunlop is that you would sink in further than a Dunlop of the same ILD. If you went firmer with the middle talalay layer to compensate for this then it wouldn't work as well as a comfort layer.

If you know what you are "trading" (feel/comfort/support) ... then it's easier to "visualize" what each layer change can lead to.

Phoenix.

PS: I believe it is in the "misunderstanding" of the differences between Dunlop and Talalay that many of the "battles" about which is "better" come from. They are different and these differences can be used either to advantage or disadvantage. Those who by "accident or design" get to the best pressure relief and support with one easily come to believe that it is better. Those who do the same with the other believe the opposite. Both can lead to a "perfect design" in terms of pressure relief and comfort with unlimited choices in layer thickness and ILD so the only "built in" advantage of one or the other is in how it feels (the "intangibles) and this is a matter of preference not "better or worse". There is not even as much difference between the two as there are differences between latex in general and other constructions ... although the difference in "feel" is certainly noticeable. I also prefer the "feel" of Talalay however I would not trade this feel for pressure relief or support.

Reply #129 Dec 29, 2010 7:52 PM

"Feel" is a very different thing and can mean many things. Some of the "feel" comes from what is on top and some of it comes from what is underneath.... I guess what I am trying to get to is whether the "feel" you mean is coming from the upper 3" (in which case using Dunlop in the lower layers would make no difference since the top is already Talalay) or if the "feel" you are meaning is coming from the deeper layers (in which case you would be trading the "feel" for something else).

Well I liked the feel of soft talalay over 2 medium talalays better than I liked soft talalay over 2 medium dunlops. So I would say the difference is coming from the dunlop "pushing back" more from the bottom 2 layers. 

The risk in using a middle medium Talalay over a medium Dunlop is that you would sink in further than a Dunlop of the same ILD. If you went firmer with the middle talalay layer to compensate for this then it wouldn't work as well as a comfort layer.

I don't think I ever suggested this. The question is do I get a firm dunlop or talalay. In either case I would probably try soft over med over firm. If it didn't feel firm enough I think I would also try soft over firm over medium. I can also try swapping the medium between dunlop and talalay to see if that makes a difference. 

I'm really just trying to be specific about what you think would work best, and what the backup plan would be if it doesn't work. Sounds like buy the firm dunlop (from now on I'm just gonna type d for dunlop and t for talalay) and layer soft-t over med-d over firm-d. And if thats not firm enough try soft-t over firm-d over med-d. If its too firm try the med-t in the middle over firm-d. Correct?

Reply #130 Dec 29, 2010 8:11 PM
I must be going crazy today (laughing).

I don't think I ever suggested this. (referring to using medium talalay)

When you said "I'm sort of curious to try soft over med over firm all talalay (which I could do if I get the firm talalay layer)" in the previous post I took it to mean that if you went in the direction of a firm Talalay on the bottom that you could "try" an all Talalay construction and that this possibility was attractive (which I certainly understand). This is why I commented on what the medium Talalay in the middle could lead to. I thought that the "temptation" of testing an all talalay construction may become a big part of a decision to buy firm Talalay instead of firm Dunlop so I thought I'd comment on what it could lead to so that you would know what you were trading.

Am I just misreading everyone today????

In any case, yes I do believe that firm Dunlop would be a better choice than firm Talalay (assuming they both had the same ILD). If the firmest Dunlop you could get was say 36 and the firmest Talalay was say 44, then Talalay would be the better choice IMO.

The first choice as you mentioned would be Firm Dunlop under medium Dunlop under soft Talalay.

The backup plan would be exactly as you suggested ...exchanging the two bottom layers and then possibly adding a thin layer of talalay to the mix (softer over or firmer under the 3" talalay) to "deepen" your cradle as I think that this configuration may need a "little more" comfort since the firm Dunlop in the middle wouldn't give you as much "soft thickness" as the medium.

The only reason I would change this is if I could buy firm enough Talalay that it would give the same benefits as the firmest Dunlop I could find ... or that the "lessening" of benefits would be worth "trading" for the ability to try all Talalay because of it's preferred "feel".

Phoenix

Reply #131 Dec 29, 2010 9:21 PM
Am I just misreading everyone today????

No, I just reread what you wrote and got it, so that ones on me lol. 

So OK  I will order the firm dunlop. But since the soft-t over med-d over med-d wasn't "soft enough" (in terms of comfort layer) than I also know that changing the bottom piece to firm won't help the top feel softer. So I really feel like I should also order another layer of thin talalay, or a good wool topper (although I see from other posts that you don't feel that wool really softens things). So I guess just a 1" or maybe 1.5" layer of soft (22ILD) talalay might work? Does it make sense to order that from Sleepez at the same time? And do you think 1" is enough?

Recent Posts