overstuffing mattress case with foam layers
Dec 1, 2010 3:33 PM
i have a sleepez bed that I keep trying to soften by adding more layers of foam in the case. So I now have 4.5 layers in a case meant for 3 layers. The case still zips, but I wonder if I am compressing the foam so much that it is affecting the feel. I have talalay latex, which always felt springy to me, but I am wondering if this made it more springy? Or if this is bad for the foam? 
Re: overstuffing mattress case with foam layers
Reply #101 Dec 26, 2010 10:38 PM
Given that there are 2 "basic" approaches to construction (differential and progressive ... although there are variations and other schemes as well) ... once you've decided on one or the other then the rest becomes much easier. Differential is a "safer" way to go with a support core first and then playing with comfort layers that are more "independent" of the support layers. Because "progressive" layering uses part of an underlying or overlying layer more, it is more difficult to get the support right even if you can get to the right comfort layers more easily. I personally prefer the "differential" approach for most people only because it is generally "safer" and easier to build. Since it always involves firmer support cores that are more based on weight and weight distribution, it is easier to build comfort on top of it. The progressive approach is more "nuanced" and many times involves changes and "transition layers" that affect both support and comfort more. Getting one right can very easily put the other one out of kilter. Because it has "finer" adjustments, It may end up being more "accurate" however and can be the difference between 80% and 95% perfection.

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 26, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #102 Dec 26, 2010 10:42 PM
You should write a book on this!

At the very least someone should collect your posts (& other good ones) and make them "stickies" - I assume you know what that is, but if not, its a collection of posts that answer the most commonly asked questions and stay at the top of the forum all the time. People basically ask 10 questions on this forum - and those have been answered 100 times, 100 ways. Awfully hard to find the best answers without something like FAQs or stickies. Wonder if there is an admin who might do this??

This message was modified Dec 26, 2010 by st3v3k4hn
Reply #103 Dec 26, 2010 11:39 PM
I've been working on writing something as a "guideline" that is a little simpler than my previous efforts but I always find that there are so many "important" things to include that it becomes "Charlie Brown's teacher" like (in Leo's words :)) and gets too complicated for what I would think most people want to read. I think that most people just want to get the "chore" over and done with as quickly as possible and would probably be happy with 70 - 80% but that would also leave out the people who wanted more "accuracy" or had more complex situations and were willing to spend a little more time and research on their choice.

It'll probably be a while before I find the balance that is the "most effective".

I did at least get to some kind of definition of a "perfect mattress" though ...

A perfect mattress is the one that feels wonderful in every way when you first lay on it, that forms a "perfect for you" pressure relieving cradle in all your sleeping positions, and that seems like it "floats" on top of perfectly supporting lower layers that keep you in alignment all night long. This is the equivalent of "sleeping on a cloud".

I guess that's a start (laughing).

Phoenix
Reply #104 Dec 27, 2010 12:08 AM
Phoenix wrote:

Given that there are 2 "basic" approaches to construction (differential and progressive ... although there are variations and other schemes as well) ... once you've decided on one or the other then the rest becomes much easier. Differential is a "safer" way to go with a support core first and then playing with comfort layers that are more "independent" of the support layers. Because "progressive" layering uses part of an underlying or overlying layer more, it is more difficult to get the support right even if you can get to the right comfort layers more easily. I personally prefer the "differential" approach for most people only because it is generally "safer" and easier to build. Since it always involves firmer support cores that are more based on weight and weight distribution, it is easier to build comfort on top of it. The progressive approach is more "nuanced" and many times involves changes and "transition layers" that affect both support and comfort more. Getting one right can very easily put the other one out of kilter. Because it has "finer" adjustments, It may end up being more "accurate" however and can be the difference between 80% and 95% perfection.

Phoenix

Uh oh Charlie Brown's teacher is here, LOL, seriously though what the heck do you mean?  Differential?  Progressive, like bifocals, LOL.  Talk layman terms for dummies please.  Do you mean a hard as rock core, then soft?  Do you mean Firm, medium, then soft is worse to do for fine tuning?

Reply #105 Dec 27, 2010 12:12 AM
st3v3k4hn wrote:

You should write a book on this!

At the very least someone should collect your posts (& other good ones) and make them "stickies" - I assume you know what that is, but if not, its a collection of posts that answer the most commonly asked questions and stay at the top of the forum all the time. People basically ask 10 questions on this forum - and those have been answered 100 times, 100 ways. Awfully hard to find the best answers without something like FAQs or stickies. Wonder if there is an admin who might do this??

Just PM Admin, there is a stickies already at the top of the page.  If he likes he posts wink

You asked about is the blanket enough to protect the latex, yes.  You just are protecting it from light and dirt.  When I used the Natura wool with polyester backing that was rough it ripped up my latex, so no that is not good.  Luckily that latex is no longer used, it was shredded from that backing of the topper.  You don't need a zipper case for my uses.  Maybe for yours you need or want it too look good.  But mine has a sheet over it and is not seen.  Some do it yourself people used the terry cloth zipper over 3 layers of latex and it is protected enough.

This message was modified Dec 27, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #106 Dec 27, 2010 12:28 AM
"Uh oh Charlie Brown's teacher is here, LOL, seriously though what the heck do you mean?  Differential?  Progressive, like bifocals, LOL.  Talk layman terms for dummies please.  Do you mean a hard as rock core, then soft?  Do you mean Firm, medium, then soft is worse to do for fine tuning?"

Differential approach means a bigger difference in ILD between the comfort layer(s) and the support layer(s). Say 3" of say 19 - 22 ILD over 6" of 36 or 40 ILD (or soft over firm)

Progressive approach means a smaller difference in ILD between the comfort layer(s) and the support layers(s) say 3" of 22 ILD over 3" of 28 ILD over 3" of 40 ILD (or soft over medium over firm)

Starting with Soft, Medium, Firm can be much more difficult to adjust because it's sort of a "compromise" of both comfort and support and trying to change the comfort ends up affecting the support as well (and vice versa) more than the other one. You can often get "more accurate" this way and change the overall "feel" of a mattress more but it can be a lot harder.

Phoenix

PS: you're a tough nut to crack ... but a great "testing ground" for what I "try to" write (laughing).

This message was modified Dec 27, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #107 Dec 27, 2010 12:39 AM
Phoenix wrote:

Differential approach means a bigger difference in ILD between the comfort layer(s) and the support layer(s). Say 3" of say 19 - 22 ILD over 6" of 36 or 40 ILD (or soft over firm)

Progressive approach means a smaller difference in ILD between the comfort layer(s) and the support layers(s) say 3" of 22 ILD over 3" of 28 ILD over 3" of 40 ILD (or soft over medium over firm)

Starting with Soft, Medium, Firm can be much more difficult to adjust because it's sort of a "compromise" of both comfort and support and trying to change the comfort ends up affecting the support as well (and vice versa) more than the other one. You can often get "more accurate" this way and change the overall "feel" of a mattress more but it can be a lot harder.

Phoenix

PS: you're a tough nut to crack ... but a great "testing ground" for what I "try to" write (laughing).

Okay so I have a "differential" setup with my hard mattress, then soft layer top.  You are saying that is better?  I notice Sleepeze 99.999% always recommends soft, medium, firm, so that is a tougher to get comfortable from the readers posting here.  But you are saying (the last paragraph) you can often get "more accurate" this way... but it can be a lot harder.

I don't know about me being a tough nut to crack, or what that means, LOL, but I am more honest than most if I don't understand something I say so.  laugh  Maybe I am asking what some other people are thinking and not posting.

Reply #108 Dec 27, 2010 12:47 AM
"I don't know about me being a tough nut to crack, or what that means, LOL, but I am more honest than most if I don't understand something I say so.  laugh  Maybe I am asking what some other people are thinking and not posting."

You probably are posting what lots of people are thinking and not posting ... that's why I said you were a great testing ground. The "tough nut to crack" means you are challenging me (in a good way) to be a better combination of simple and informative and that if what I post "works" for you it will probably "work" for lots of people ... but it's tough to get there :)

Sometimes too it's important (to me at least) to go into more detail than most would want just for the few that may like to read "every technicality" or every "opinion" I may have or know about. This is what some of the old posters (dbhayes, cloud9 and quite a few others) that sadly aren't posting anymore used to do as well in the old forum and the earlier part of this one and it really helped lots of people as well ... including me. There doesn't seem to be quite as much "research based" type of posts at the moment as there once was. There's a lot of people still here from those times that still post and help a lot of people so they might have an interesting perspective on this as well. Did they all get tired or did the switch in forums really have that big an effect?

Yes ... you have a "differential" setup which is easier to get "close". The progressive setup could end up better (at least for some) but can take a lot of patience, fiddling, or "correct predictions" sometimes to get there. It might also need "non standard" layer thicknesses outside of just 2" or 3" to get to "perfection". Which one is "better" really depends on the person but in my experience getting to 80 - 90% or so is probably good enough for most and this is often easier to get to with the "differential" approach.

If Soft medium firm with maybe one layer exchange is "close enough" for someone, then they are happy. If it's not close enough, or if someone really needs something closer to "the best for them" and one layer exchange doesn't get there, then it often starts an endless series of adjustments that seem too often to "fall short". Sometimes it's because none of the choices seem to work (for usually unknown to them reasons) and sometimes it's because they just run out of patience or will and think that "nothing will work".

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 27, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #109 Dec 27, 2010 2:08 PM
I think many old posters quite honestly still never got it right, or they got it right and stopped posting.  There are many latex mattress people who never liked the mattress and they tried and tried and some ended up loving them.  I also think some people ending up hating them and just never post back.  Who really knows.  I think some people who have some physical pain that may never get it comfortable.  But who can say that is true for sure, we are all just assuming we know how to fix a mattress by mathematical equations (not pointing fingers) but there is just comfort factors you can not equate.  The other problem is the first night the mattress sleeps great, second night not so good, third horrible; or the other experience the first night is horrible.  Now can you really say keep trying it night after night?  How long do you experiment.  Frankly I may give up and sleep in a recliner!  I have heard that statement before.  Then you have people who can sleep on a rock, they have no problems sleeping on anything (my hubby is like that).
Reply #110 Dec 27, 2010 3:34 PM
"we are all just assuming we know how to fix a mattress by mathematical equations (not pointing fingers) but there is just comfort factors you can not equate."

I wish there was a mathematical formula that could be used ... it could help a lot in some cases ... but I don't know of any. Who is making these assumptions ... I'd like to find them and see if they would give me their "formula" (smiling).

I certainly agree with you though that it's really hard to "figure in" comfort factors. It's a lot more intuitive than mathematical. If they do some field testing though it's a lot easier to get a sense of what feels comfortable for them.

Having said that, I do see many times people who try to change things that have little chance for success. There are always a few (like yourself) that stick to it but unfortunately there are also lots who give up once they've made a comfort switch or two that doesn't work out. Sometimes the switch they are trying has very low odds of success and could have been "predicted". I think these are the ones who often lose hope when they don't see improvement.

Most of the old posters I was talking about weren't looking for a mattress. I meant some of the old posters that had been around for many years that seemed to stop posting when the forum changed or soon after.

Phoenix

Recent Posts