Otis Moonshadow Futon Mattress
May 30, 2009 2:30 PM
I was speaking with the owner of a local futon shop about his latex/foam mattresses, and he mentioned that he's slept on this mattress for 13 years and it is still great. I like the price a lot better ($600-800 depending on where you buy it), but wondering how well it will hold up with two people sleeping on it (we're not big people). I guess i could replicate this mattress, through FBM or the like, maybe in a more economical and durable way...? Then again, i haven't tried out the HD foam yet--i'll have to go to the store next week and do so.

Could this be a decent mattress for a while? Thanks for any advice/scolding/etc...;)

10-year pro-rated warranty
A true 8" mattress
7 1/2 oz twill fabric provides proper strength to hold the tuft in the mattress
7" of fantastic minimum 2.0 pound density foam provides the ability to keep the mattress looking and feeling great
Machine tuft reduces the thickness of the mattress to lock in its look and feel
Constructed with 4 layers of convoluted and flat medium-density foam
Full polyester wrap
Boxed edges and taped seams for extra durability
Full size weight: about 50 lbs
Re: Otis Moonshadow Futon Mattress
Reply #1 May 30, 2009 3:27 PM
Seems way overpriced to me. You didn't say what size it was. Usually futons are double or full-sized.

Is it HD or HR foam? As I recall HR is better than HD, but I forget. You may want to check into that.

I can buy a king size piece of 4" HR foam for about $150, at a foam distributor.

If this is for a living room, for an extra bed, I can see why you might want to spend that much and have a "nice looking" one.
But if it's for a bed in a bedroom, if I were you I would buy just foam cores and toppers. That way you can have more options to adjust it to your liking.

For example:
3 to 4" of 37ILD HR foam
3 to 4" of 32ILD HR foam
2" of Sensus memory foam (overstock.com has it cheap)
and/or 1-2" of latex 12-18ILD topper

With this in your arsenal you can adjust your bed as you see fit and the total cost for a double size should be less than the above, or certainly no more, but with better quality and more options for adjustment.

For example, you can put the 37ILD on top of the 32ILD and vice-versa. You can use the sensus foam with or without the latex. If you get the latex you can try it on top of the Sensus or vice-versa, etc.

You don't need to worry about enclosing it, just put a well-fitting bottom sheet with elastic over the layers and they will stay in place. Foam tends to have a lot of friction so does not move on top of other foam layers.
Re: Otis Moonshadow Futon Mattress
Reply #2 May 30, 2009 7:26 PM
Thanks so much for the detailed reply and suggestions. It is a king size, actually, and would be for my bed...I haven't really tried out any HD foam yet, so i think i'll try it out in the store, and if i like it, i'll buy the foam online--I'll keep your suggestions for reference!

Recent Posts