newbie needs help with tempur-pedic mattress topper
Jul 26, 2013 3:28 PM
Hello all,

Just found this forum today and am need of help.  I have been reading through the forum as much as possible.  My problem is I bought a beauty-rest pillowtop in 2007 and for the last six months my wife and I have woken up with sore backs and our sleep has been sub-par to say the least.  We bought a tempur-pedic mattress topper two days ago and that is not helping since we both sink into the middle due to the divots.

Should I perform the surgery and cut off the pillowtop and put the mattress topper on top of the springs?

Do I need to add other foam under the topper?

I am a side sleeper who perfers a softer bed my wife is a back sleeper who perfers a firmer bed

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!1

Re: newbie needs help with tempur-pedic mattress topper
Reply #1 Jul 26, 2013 5:24 PM
offshorebound wrote:

Hello all,

Just found this forum today and am need of help.  I have been reading through the forum as much as possible.  My problem is I bought a beauty-rest pillowtop in 2007 and for the last six months my wife and I have woken up with sore backs and our sleep has been sub-par to say the least.  We bought a tempur-pedic mattress topper two days ago and that is not helping since we both sink into the middle due to the divots.

Should I perform the surgery and cut off the pillowtop and put the mattress topper on top of the springs?

Do I need to add other foam under the topper?

I am a side sleeper who perfers a softer bed my wife is a back sleeper who perfers a firmer bed

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!1

Almost certainly the pillowtop foam is the problem.  As you have discovered, just putting more on top won't solve the problem. 

Best solution is to get rid of the junky foam and replace with higher quality foam. 

Just putting the topper on the springs might not be enough foam, but you might be able to use some of what is already in there.  Hard to say without knowing what it is.  If it is totally useless, then you might want to add 2-3" of latex.  You might even be able to use firmer on one side vs the other, depending on the matress size. 

You may want to read through this posting.  

This message was modified Jul 26, 2013 by sandman

Recent Posts