New SleepEZ Bed - need some help configuring layers
Mar 1, 2009 9:02 PM
Hi all - I've been browsing this forum for the past two months in search of a new mattress.  Ours was sagging and causing my husband back pain.  After reading so many great reviews on latex, and being so frustrated with the innerspring mattresses, my husband and I decided to try out the latex.  We initially ordered a 3 inch soft topper from Sleep EZ and we LOVED it!  Oh my gosh it was wonderful!  Based on that experience, we went ahead and ordered the full mattress.  We have three layers of talalay blended,  s/m/f, the medium and firm layers are split layers (the soft is all one piece).  We got the full kit Friday and have slept on it two nights.  My first thought was that the whole mattress together was too firm - it didn't give the same way the latex topper did.  When we slept on it the first night, it felt like it was pressing into my shoulder and hips - just altogether a bit too firm.  Also, rather frustratingly, my husband woke up with back pain again this morning.  When he was sleeping on the spring mattress/topper combo, that didn't seem to be much of an issue.

Here's my real question - what do we do now?  We're rearranging the layers to try out s/f/f and s/m/m.  I know I can call and swap layers, but I'm not sure what we need.  We are very SHORT and small.  My husband is 5'2" and weighs roughly 125lbs.  I'm 5'0" and weigh 135lbs.  We're both side sleepers.  Do you think we need to go softer or firmer?  Is anyone else out there as small as we are?  I am looking for any advice I can get.  I really want this to work for us as I so enjoyed the latex topper - it was amazing!  I really want the whole mattress to be just as good.

Thanks to everyone who has used this forum.  I've spent quite a few hours perusing the messages and most everything you've posted has been helpful!  :-)
Re: New SleepEZ Bed - need some help configuring layers
Reply #7 Mar 16, 2009 5:51 PM
Can I just say how awesome y'all are?!  I cannot thank you enough for all of your encouragement and help in this process.  I really appreciate all your posts on this and the old forum - they have helped us out tremendously!
Reply #8 Mar 18, 2009 5:57 AM
i think most of us here are happy to offer the benefit of our experience. Please be sure to let us know how things work out with your mattress.
Reply #9 Mar 18, 2009 10:48 PM
I agree with Cloud9, that we are more than happy to help you out since other members have helped us when we were considering what bed would suit our needs and when we were adjusting our beds for our comfort.  The members of this Mattress Forum have helped me so I do my best to return any help I feel I can give. 
Reply #10 Mar 22, 2009 7:07 PM
We bought a piece of plywood to go over our boxspring (we don't have room to put the mattress on the floor).  It firmed everything up!  Maybe a little too much.  Now we have to rethink and retry everything.  It's a little frustrating at this point.  But again, I think it's good to stick with it.  We want to make sure we are going to stick with the latex before we make more purchases for it (like foundations or slat foundations), but if we need to purchase a foundation, we will find an inexpensive one. 

Our top layer Saturday was the soft (as we're trying all of our previous combinations again with the firmer foundation).  My husband and I both woke up with back pain.  I just don't think the three inches of soft talalay latex is going to support us the way it needs to - especially since we're smaller.  However, I slept with the medium on top, soft in the middle, and firm on the bottom last night, and woke up with shoulder and back pain - too hard!!!  I feel like the Princess and the Pea or Goldilocks - can't find that "just right" combination.  We called Shawn and ordered some different layers for our swap (over a week ago), but we still don't have them.  Tomorrow I'll be getting a 1" soft topper to put over it all.  Hopefully that will help.  Would a regular foundation be more forgiving and easier to sleep on than the plywood?  It's really feeling HARD right now, which makes me want to go softer with the layers.  But soft layers aren't giving us any support.  My husband's back was happy this morning, sleeping on the firm over soft over medium, but he feels it's still a little too firm.  He'll be trying medium tonight as top layer.  We've had the full bed for just over three weeks.  I know that several people on here have found that latex doesn't work for them.  The latex was working over the boxspring, now it's not over the firmer foundation.  I'd really like to hear from people who have had success with the latex.  What are we doing wrong?  What are we doing right?  What else do we need to do?  I feel like we're doing all we know to do right now.  I'm frustrated, but not ready to give up yet.  And I know this is a good place to ask questions and seek answers.  Thanks in advance!

Amy

Reply #11 Mar 23, 2009 12:47 AM
Wait until you try the topper over the latex cores before making a decision and playing with more layers. That is the only way latex works for me is to have a thin layer of softness over very firm layers of support. 
Reply #12 Mar 23, 2009 5:54 AM
I second the motion! Wait a bit.

A regular foundation may be a slight bit softer than a plywood board. Foundations are just a framework of loosely placed slats covered by a sheet of heavy cardboard with a little padding over it. It may have a little bit more give--but not like a box spring. Another option are adjustable slats that allow you to increase (or decrease) the level of support, but they are much more expensive than a generic foundation.

If the 1" topper over the medium over the firm still feels a bit hard in the shoulders, try the 1" topper over the medium with the 2.8" soft core in the middle and the firm on the bottom. If the medium over the soft was just a bit too hard that extra 1" of soft over it may hit the spot.

Reply #13 Mar 23, 2009 10:15 PM
New 1" topper arrived tonight and is in place.  Here we go!  It was also really refreshing to read about JCTurboT's experience with his SleepEZ in the old forum.  Seems like he was having the exact same problem - that as the "foundation" for the bed changed, so did his opinion of the bed (and frustration level).  However, he figured it out, which means I am eagerly looking forward to figuring this one out!  I really like the latex.  The springiness and feel of it just make me smile - especially when unwrapping a new piece of latex foam.  Call me a nerd, but it makes me laugh!  :-)  Anyway, sweet dreams to all.  Hopefully it will be a great night's slumber!
Reply #14 Mar 26, 2009 4:17 PM
Update - the 1" topper is quite comfy.  It didn't help much over the plywood board - we ended up yanking that out around midnight day 5 - my shoulder and shoulder blades were in awful pain.  I just don't think hard plywood is the way to go for our foundation.  We're back on the box spring as a temporary fix.  We're planning on getting a box foundation this weekend.  It should be supportive and solid enough for the latex, but not overwhelming in the price category.  I also think it will be softer than slats, which I am afraid may be just as solid as the plywood.  OUCH!  I am tempted by those euroslats, but I don't know if we really need it (or should splurge on it without knowing just how "solid" it's going to be - could be too much so).  We're both smaller people - I think a box foundation will be fine.  It will give us a good feel for the latex, unlike our current boxspring.  The box spring seems rather soft - a bit too soft actually - and I think we'll start having problems from that if we don't pursue another type of foundation.  I'm looking forward to continuing our quest, but I am also really ready to find that "just right" combination of foundation and latex and toppers.  ::grins::  Customizing your bed really has its merits, but the time involved and the trials... that can be overwhelming and a source of frustration.  I don't think I recommend this quest to just everyone.  My husband has found some relief from his back pain in the latex - he needs to go firmer with his layers.  I'm still working on mine.  We'll see where this goes in a day or two after we get our box foundation.  If we need to, we can always add slats later on top of it.  Thanks for sticking with our story!  I hope it's helpful to someone else seeking the latex route.
Reply #15 Mar 27, 2009 1:09 AM
quefret, thanks for the update. Glad you also find the 1" topper comfy. I think the box foundation will work for you. Please keep us updated.
Reply #16 Mar 28, 2009 8:18 PM
We bought the new foundation today.  Went to a local store and picked one up.  I made sure to ask if we could return it if we didn't like it - especially since I didn't want to feel like I was sleeping on a rock as I did with the plywood.  We get home, set it up - only to find out that we already have been sleeping on a box foundation.  Wow.  I feel so incredibly dumb.  Point number one right here - make sure you know what you're actually sleeping on.  It just never occurred to me to check what we had underneath the mattress.  I am so grateful we can return the new foundation.  We're going to use it tonight since the bed is already set up.  It's wrapped in plastic, and as long as it stays that way, we can return it.  I have obsessed so long over this, but I never even checked to see what we already had.  I thought, in all honesty, that we had a box spring.  Just needed to vent there a little.  Master of the obvious.  Anyway, we're going to try the new foundation tonight just in case it does have some effect.  However, if our old foundation is okay, we'll just see if the new layers help.  I called Shawn two weeks ago to get a medium and a firm and still haven't gotten the layers.  I think there might have been a problem with processing.  We'll see what happens.  They have been really helpful and friendly, so I'm pretty sure all will continue to go well.  :-)  So yeah, I guess I can say with confidence that sleeping on a box foundation with latex layers is really pretty comfy!

Recent Posts