new reviews?
Oct 31, 2007 11:35 AM
I was wondering if we could have some reviews from folks who have been sleeping on their mattress for a full year or more. Honestly, I enjoy all the reviews, but would love to hear from folks who have really experienced the bed for a period of time. After 1 year one should know if their mattress is and has remained all they hoped for. I would rnjoy knowing what these folks love or hate about their purchases.  It would also help those of us who are new to our particular beds to know what to watch out for. Thanks in Advance
Re: new reviews?
Reply #1 Oct 31, 2007 2:11 PM
Foam Nerd
I agree. You make an excellent point. Unfortunately, I think anyone a full year removed from the process is probably not lurking around the forum any more.
Reply #2 Oct 31, 2007 8:42 PM
We have had our Eastern King LATEX mattress for 4 years.  We bought it at memoryfoam.com when Mark Reigle (BATMAN) was the owner. The combo we ended up with was 3 layers of latex 14-36-28. 

We did try memoryfoam as a top layer, but we both had back pain,both were hot & we didn't like the 'stuck in mud' feeling. 

After 1 year the top layer (14ILD) softened & we both had back pain.  I found 1" layers of 20-24ILD latex (at another site) & my husband is still using 3 layers of these instead of the 14ILD.  I ended up purchasing a new 14 ILD layer about every year for myself. I have severe ligament damage in lower back & the this was the only way I could wake up without pain.

It was great to buy the layers as we did.  With the king we got 3 layers for each side & we could switch layers & swap with memoryfoam.com till we got it right.  And, in the future, we could  make changes.

It is now "the future".  My last 14ILD has softened, & I decided to try something different.  I still have 3 extra layers of the 1" 20-24ILDs, so I made my side this way (top to bottom):

1" 20-24        ,     3" 36 ILD         ,          2" 20-24 ILD        ,  3"  28ILD.

Last  night was the 1st  on this combo & I had a lot less pain this morning.  If  this or another combo does not work,  I will probably order a 44ILD from somewhere & go from there.  Might need more support & less softness. 

Another nice thing about this set-up is that it is easier to move "pieces" than to move a huge King one piece mattress.   We will be moving soon.  We will just roll up each layer, place in garbage bag & carry each out.  When we move in 12 yrs ago with old mattress, the movers had to 'bend' the mattress & they messed up the walls & ceiling.

Our bed came with the stretchable  terry that zips off.   I sew, & was eventually going to make a cover that looked more like a conventional mattress cover, with quilted top.  But I soon realized we would lose that unique feel of the latex.  Plus, I really like being able to zip the top off & washing it in my own washer & not have to go to laundramat for larger washer/dryer.

We're still happy with our purchase & endless possibilities. 

Reply #3 Nov 1, 2007 3:09 AM
I've been sleeping on my zippered latex and coil mattress for almost a year now. I probably will never go back to a conventional, readymade mattress again. I really like having the ability to open it up and switch around the layers. Mine is different than those who have bought the kits online. Mine is from a local shop and I had the option to have all latex or latex and/or PU foam over coils. I chose the latter. I also chose two high density 3/4" layers of PU foam for our base over the coils. Then I add a couple inches of latex in 44 and 32 ILD. The cover is quilted and when zipped up looks just like any other mattress. Matching foundation. Of course, I've also chosen to add about 4" of comfort layers (toppers) over the mattress. The reason I did that is because I put a very thin sheet of doorskin plywood over the coils to firm them up even more. I like firm! BUT, my ol' bones also like something soft on the surface.

As of the last three nights (I switched a couple of toppers around), I've been sleeping VERY well. All in all, I am very pleased with this bed. I just love knowing I can order new layers as needed. Or even a new cover or coils. I hope this is the last mattress I ever have to buy!

By the way, I have two XL Twins inside an Eastern King frame. So my husband and I can customize our own mattresses. My toppers are different than his right now.

sillymom wrote:
I was wondering if we could have some reviews from folks who have been sleeping on their mattress for a full year or more. Honestly, I enjoy all the reviews, but would love to hear from folks who have really experienced the bed for a period of time. After 1 year one should know if their mattress is and has remained all they hoped for. I would rnjoy knowing what these folks love or hate about their purchases.  It would also help those of us who are new to our particular beds to know what to watch out for. Thanks in Advance
Reply #4 Nov 2, 2007 7:23 AM
Great idea sillymom! Here's mine: Sealy Reflexion - Newport Beach. I'd posted a review (a stellar one, at that) shortly after purchasing it in 2004 - so check that out - compared to NOW :-D...

REVIEWED BED: Sealy Reflexion - Newport Beach (fairly plush latex - I forget the configuration now - sorry).
PERIOD OF TIME: About 3 years
VICTIMS: Me - 49 year old 90 lb woman with mild/moderate scoliosis (double curve 40/40), DDD lower lumbar, osteoporosis (no pain from that as I have no breaks - but I figured I'd mention it anyway) - so LOTS of pain below the waist CONSTANTLY - some days/times worse than others.Husband - 52 year old 168 lb. man in excellent shape (runs & swims daily!) - but has typical aches & pains most 52 year old people have.

After some time on the Newport bed - unfortunately, I am not sure WHEN, it went from comfy plush - to feeling like we were sleeping on a ROCK. I still don't really know what went wrong with this bed - as it still LOOKED PUFFY on top - no noticible body impressions - BUT, when you put your hands on it and pushed down - it felt like a hard rubber ball underneath. When sleeping in it - I'd easily fall into my husbands depression (physical ;-)). I don't think I weighed enough to sink in enough to make me feel comfortable though.

So... it basically appeared okay, but seemed to become very hard unyielding for individual body parts (butts, backs, etc) - but did yield to my husband's entire body, causing me to roll into him.

We tried numerous toppers - one fiberbed did help for a while before it compressed (within a 3 month period).

Went out and slept around at mattress stores - decided on a Tempurpedic Deluxe - but after a week and a half - found it to be too mushy (yet hard - does that make sense?)... exchanged it and we are now sleeping on the Tempurpedic CelebrityBed - which I think I really LIKE! (by the way - NO HEAT issues with either - and the Deluxe only smelled for a day or so - the Celebrity never smelled!)

BOTTOM LINE: After reading TONS of reviews - both here, eopinions.com and other places, I have come to the conclusion that ALL (okay, MOST) BEDS (latex, coil, visco, air,- perhaps not water)... BECOME CRAPPY AFTER 3-5 years! They either become mushy or sag or - poop-out for some reason or another. So, the bottom line is to find a bed that is comfortable NOW... and count on buying a new one in 3-5 years. YES, I am/was willing to spend $3500 on a bed for the next 3-5 years (hopefully) - maybe it will last beyond that - maybe it won't - but that is life. Heck, plenty of people spend $100 or more on a nice meal ONCE A WEEK (if not far more ;-)) for an hour or so (with possible indigestion later - and probable weight gain) - that is $5200 a year - I think $3500 on a good night's rest every night for 3 years is a bargain!
Reply #5 Nov 2, 2007 11:39 AM
This is all great info. I was considering the sealy latex before I purchased my Spring Air.  Then I found out that the Sealy latex is 100% synthetic.  That closed my mind to that brand. I just feel that at least some natural latex  is better.  I am glad to have read a review from someone who felt they had to change their once rave review. This helps us all learn.  

As far as replacing a mattress goes, I don't care if the mattress company has to replace the mattress 3 times in the 10 warranty period. If I get a new mattress every 2 or 3 years because their product failed, great! I would demand the company stand behind the warranty they put in place. After that time , I will be happy to buy a new mattress. After spending over $2000 on a mattress, it had better hold up as the company promised! I am a big believer in making the company put their money where their warranty is, and going public if they don't.

It is also interesting to me to note the need to change configurations over time. I guess this is something that just occurs with age, injuries and such. I am grateful that we have options like latex and memory foam toppers to help us get comfortable. I guess we need to accept the changes in our bodies and go with the flow. This is why, if I had to do it again, I would go with a flo-bed kit. I like the idea of changing the layers around as needed or adding different layers.  Alas, I live and learn.

Thank you all for the great help. Anyone else out there? I would love to hear about it.

Reply #6 Nov 24, 2007 7:25 PM
Sealy Reflexion Huntington. After a LONG time researching, after suffering from severe body depressions in our last Serta expensive King after only a few years, we decided Latex was the way to go. So we bought the Huntington, as it seemed to be the right firmness, felt great, and was a decent (not cheap) price.

For the first 6 months it was heaven! We turned it on a regular basis, as recommended. Then we noticed a little bit of depressions, but not terrible. After about a year, the depressions were very noticeable.

Now, not quite 3 years later, the bed has noticeable body impressions and we wake up every morning sore and with aches. Somehow in all of my reading, researching, etc. I did not discover that Sealy uses less that great latex, and they put a PU comfort later on top that breaks down pretty quickly. So we're looking again, and consider our $1300 to be money out the window. Ugh

Recent Posts