New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Dec 1, 2009 9:33 PM
Hi, I have been looking for a new mattress and when I was researching Latex mattresses I found this site. I had already decided to try a latex mattress before coming here and from what I have read I am more convinced that is what I want. My husband noticed a new latex mattress listed on the Costco site and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I know it is new, but I thought maybe someone might have some comments that might help. Here are the highlights of the bed components - we would be getting a King size with the foundation and at $1499.99 it seems like a steal. I know we would be sacrificing the ability to customize the firmness on each side but is it worth $1000.00 for that??? Here are the list of latex layers - Four layers of 100% natural latex for unsurpassed comfort: Layer 1 – 1” 19 ILD natural latex – soft layer Layer 2 – 2” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Layer 3 – 4” of 32 ILD natural latex – support layer Layer 4 – 3” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Two mattresses in one! Due to its unique construction, the Sleep Science Natural Comfort Latex Mattress allows you to sleep on either the top or bottom of the mattress. Each side has been engineered for a slightly different feel, one softer than the other. The Sleep Science Natural Latex Mattress is two high quality mattresses in one. The mattress is delivered with layer 1 (softer sleep surface) on the top. For a firmer sleep surface, remove the mattress from the cover, flip the mattress, put the cover back on and enjoy a firmer sleep surface. 100% Natural Latex. Certified by the ECO-INSTITUT as 100% Dunlop processed natural latex. Sleep Science Natural Comfort 10” Latex mattress fits the dimensions of your bed Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633-Federal flammability (open flame) standards Limited Warranty: 20 years against manufacturer defects Hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and dust mite resistant This luxurious, health promoting mattress comes with a beautiful silk blend and micro-suede mattress cover Sleep Science Softness Scale – Soft/Medium on one side and Medium on the other Here is the link if you would like to look at all the info - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11496053&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|4914|4916&N=4001838&Mo=39&pos=0&No=31&ViewAll=40&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4916&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC850-Cat4914&topnav= Thanks again for your help! I am so glad I found this forum! Brenda
Re: New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Reply #194 Nov 5, 2010 12:50 PM
Hello everyone!  I followed this thread closely, reading every comment at least twice! I really enjoyed the pictures and info as I waited patiently for my Sleep Science latex mattress from Costco to arrive.  We find it to be perfect.  I thought I would have to buy toppers or something to make it softer, ( I probably will in the future), but it is really fine to us right now.  I love the feel of the latex.  Firm and supportive, yet soft and pliable.   And I really do feel (after only 4 nights) that I don't wake up with extreme lower back pain like I used to. The pain is not gone but my back definitely feels better. And now that I think about it, my shoulder doesn't hurt and my arm no longer feels numb. I sleep on my back, side and (unfortunately usually end up) on my stomach. My husband is a back sleeper.  I am about 5'0", 140lb he is 6'2" about 250lb.

My husband who can sleep anywhere, on anything, at any time didn't have much to say about the mattress.  He would scarcely have noticed it was new had I not been badgering him for weeks, starting every conversation with "Latex mattress".  I am now in the market for some kind of organic wool pad (any recommendations?) to keep us from sweating into the mattress (eeeeww) as we are currently sleeping directly on it with just a sheet over it. I really want the new organic quilted wool mattress case sold by sleeplikeabear, but it's over a $1,000! Starting to get near the cost of the entire mattress itself!

My question for you guys with this mattress is how tall did your mattress get? Ours is only around 8 inches....closer to 9 in some parts....but no where near 10.  It has only been a few days, is it still "growing"?

Thanks!

Reply #195 Nov 5, 2010 2:54 PM
I strongly urge you to go with the St Dormeir washable wool mattress pad for your new latex mattress.  I purchased a washable wool pad for my new latex mattress and it was worth every  penny.  The wool helps to regulate heat while it absorbs moisture.  This model seems to be the favorite on the forum.  (Do a search and you will find lots of discussions about wool mattress pads)

http://www.snuggledown.com/s/catalog/st_geneve/st_dormeir_wool_mattress_protectors/

Good luck!

Reply #196 Nov 5, 2010 4:25 PM
Thank you, markbnh1! I like to think myself internet savvy but was having a hard time finding the domeir or genevieve pad people seem to talk about on the boards.  Thanks! I'll be ordering once I convince my husband that the brand new poly/cotton mattress pad ($180 from Bloomingdales) is simply not good enough!
Reply #197 Nov 5, 2010 6:27 PM
I agree that organic wool mattress case is overkill.

I use this organic wool topper from walmart.com.  It works pretty well for me.  However, it is not washable.  So, I also have a washable wool filled fitted mattress pad over it by Natura.  The St. Dormier is a good choice as well.  I would tend to go with one of those, over the wool topper, because they are washable.  I don't think you will find anything organic that is washable.  

This message was modified Nov 5, 2010 by sandman
Reply #198 Dec 5, 2010 7:11 PM
I just came across this marathon thread, and appreciate all the reviews and information everyone has offered.  I'm considering purchasing this bed from Costco (the Natural Comfort 10" latex), and wondered if any current owners might provide an updated review on their mattress?  Has the comfort level deteriorated at all since you started using it? Any body impressions starting to take shape?  I'm tall and skinny (6', 170 lbs), and have the astonishing ability to create body impressions in mattresses like it's my job.  My wife and I have the Sealy Meadow Hill innerspring mattress from Costco (purchased about 3 months ago), and I've already started to get a "gutter" forming on my side - with the comfort level and support decreasing accordingly.  So we're looking to exchange it for something better, and I'm intrigued by what I've read on the benefits of latex.

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated!  Thanks.

Reply #199 Jan 5, 2011 12:30 AM
I just discovered this site & can't say how much I appreciate the knowledge and experience shared here.  What a find!

I'm planning to purchase the mattress Sleep Science 10" Natural Latex Mattress soon - sort of hoping Costco might come up with another sale - but I do have a question:

Someone mentioned having purchased a slatted bed base from IKEA.  I was considering doing the same, though given that I am working with a 100-year-old bed frame, I'm not sure the Sultan Laxeby (with 39 slats for a full) will work with the bed frame.  I am considering instead the Sultan Luroy instead - it is 17 birch slats for a full-sized bed.  The web site is here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60160217

Does anyone who has this matttress already have any thoughts as to how well such a slatted base like this would work?  Is anyone else even using slats?  Is there adequate support for the mattress?

Thanks in advance!

Reply #200 Jan 5, 2011 11:47 PM
Looks like Costco is no longer selling King size (they have Cal KIng).  Does anyone know if they are just out of stock and will sell again in the future, or will I no longer be able to purchase this mattress in King size?
Reply #201 Jan 22, 2011 9:46 PM
mikeyj6767 wrote:

My wife and I have been sleeping on a king for almost 2 weeks now and love this mattress!!!

It's only showing that they have twin and Full beds available.  Am I missing something?  I need a King.

This message was modified Jan 22, 2011 by shine389
Reply #202 Jan 24, 2011 4:03 PM
bertie wrote:

I just came across this marathon thread, and appreciate all the reviews and information everyone has offered.  I'm considering purchasing this bed from Costco (the Natural Comfort 10" latex), and wondered if any current owners might provide an updated review on their mattress?  Has the comfort level deteriorated at all since you started using it? Any body impressions starting to take shape?  I'm tall and skinny (6', 170 lbs), and have the astonishing ability to create body impressions in mattresses like it's my job.  My wife and I have the Sealy Meadow Hill innerspring mattress from Costco (purchased about 3 months ago), and I've already started to get a "gutter" forming on my side - with the comfort level and support decreasing accordingly.  So we're looking to exchange it for something better, and I'm intrigued by what I've read on the benefits of latex.

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated!  Thanks.

O.K. I wanted to get back on the forum to give an update on this bed. We purchased the king bed with foundation a little over a year ago and I do have some issues. FIrst of all, we did not experience the foundational squeaks and cracking noises too much but the plastic bottom sheets do no support well. In fact, we have noticed that if you sit or lay on the bed and someone else looks under the bed, they will see a considerable depression that is made. Furthermore, it appears as if the depressions are now permanent and there is a bit of sagging going on. I'm not sure if this was caused because of the defect in design of the foundation or if the latex mattress is just getting soft. The bed is softer now than we bought and the depressions are noticeable. I was thinking of removing the plastic sheets on the foundation and replacing them with 3/4 inch plywood for support. I just don' t know if the depressions will come out since it has been so long.

Is anyone else experiencing these depressions or any sagging? I like the mattress but if the depressions aren't resolved with the plywood, I will be forced to return.

Reply #203 Jan 24, 2011 4:20 PM
Barry wrote:

O.K. I wanted to get back on the forum to give an update on this bed. We purchased the king bed with foundation a little over a year ago and I do have some issues. FIrst of all, we did not experience the foundational squeaks and cracking noises too much but the plastic bottom sheets do no support well. In fact, we have noticed that if you sit or lay on the bed and someone else looks under the bed, they will see a considerable depression that is made. Furthermore, it appears as if the depressions are now permanent and there is a bit of sagging going on. I'm not sure if this was caused because of the defect in design of the foundation or if the latex mattress is just getting soft. The bed is softer now than we bought and the depressions are noticeable. I was thinking of removing the plastic sheets on the foundation and replacing them with 3/4 inch plywood for support. I just don' t know if the depressions will come out since it has been so long.

Is anyone else experiencing these depressions or any sagging? I like the mattress but if the depressions aren't resolved with the plywood, I will be forced to return.

Thanks Barry.

Do you think the depressions made in the mattress are due to the defect in the foundation. (the foundation being made up of plastic on top of iron tubes?) Do you think that If the foundation was solid that there would not be any depression in the mattress?

Thanks.

This message was modified Jan 24, 2011 by roy1

Recent Posts