new mattress help
Feb 26, 2008 9:49 AM
does anyone have any info on the following mattresses. Serta Perf. sleeper Northstar Stellaris-Sealy Post. Savior plush---- Sealy post, Influence----Sealy Post Inspiration------ Stearns and Foster Hoffman------ Corsicana------ I am a big guy but came across these mattresses and box springs for 500.any help would be greatly appreciated...
Re: new mattress help
Reply #1 Feb 26, 2008 12:12 PM
The cute names of the mattresses (Northstar, Inspiration, Influence etc) don't give us anything to go on. Every store or online seller makes up their own name for each model of mattress in order to (among other things) prevent you from comparison shopping. The exact same mattress down the street will have a different name so you have to look at the line (eg: Simmon's World Class vs. Classic) and the type or firmness (firm, plush firm, pillowtop etc).

However, if you read some of the threads on this forum, you will find the consensus is that almost all mattresses are made with cheap compressible foam, which will break down in months, if not weeks. The safest thing to do with your money, is to buy a firm mattress with beefy springs and very little (crappy) padding, then add a topper or two of either high quality foam, memory foam, or latex. This is essentially building your own pillowtop which can be replaced if it breaks down -- as opposed to going out and buying a whole new mattress.
Reply #2 Feb 26, 2008 12:15 PM
Any of those would be perfect for you.  Just select something that looks nice in your price range . . instead of wasting your time researching the previous contributions to this forum.
Reply #3 Feb 26, 2008 5:25 PM
sager66 wrote:
Any of those would be perfect for you.  Just select something that looks nice in your price range . . instead of wasting your time researching the previous contributions to this forum.

sager66, if you think this forum is so worthless, why are you still wasting YOUR time hanging out here?
Reply #4 Feb 26, 2008 10:17 PM
A very informative site that will also help educate you is  http://blog.pennlive.com/mattress/   The writer is partial to Sealy latex mattreses as well as Sealy and S & F box springs and sells them at his store. Therefore he does have that bias. But...he will answer any question about any mattress and help you match names. He is also a big heavy guy with his own back issues and does not recommend the same thing for everyone. He seems to help people understand what they need without being a salesman. I have spent hours reading the site and it added to the education I received from this one. It takes about a week for a submitted question to get answered.

The best thing you can do is spend the time it takes to educate yourself. I have spend 80+ hours in my spare time reading these two forums as well as epinions and cross referencing mattress names on google to see what equaled what. Once you think you know what you need after reading what others like you have tried and missed or tried and succeeded, make a list and go try out the mattresses that work for your body type and needs. Then decide if you want to buy a ready made one, a box spring with a do it yourself topper assortment, or something entirely from scratch.This site has wonderful help for the second and third option.

I wish you success--Sabra

Reply #5 Feb 26, 2008 10:21 PM
I wouldn't trust that blog site.  I posted about it before, and it is a biased front for a mattress salesman..
Reply #6 Feb 26, 2008 10:34 PM
Novahelp--I did mention that in my paragraph! He is certainly partial to what he sells as well as what he likes to sleep on. At the same time, he provides information no one else does on the internet to help the consumer sort through every kind of mattress question if you don't intend to build your mattress. His blog provided a much needed part of my education, as does this one.
Reply #7 Feb 27, 2008 1:41 AM
That guy, Peter is irritating to me at times. He definitely is biased. So if it's a Sealy or Stearns and Foster you want, he's your man. Just like there's another mattress guy out there who pushes Simmons. Sure, they'll answer your questions, but I can tell you for sure that Peter Cancelli doesn't always have the right information. I've had to correct him (in a private post) and he's not always agreeable or one to admit when he's wrong.

Sabra wrote:
A very informative site that will also help educate you is  http://blog.pennlive.com/mattress/   The writer is partial to Sealy latex mattreses as well as Sealy and S &amp; F box springs and sells them at his store. Therefore he does have that bias. But...he will answer any question about any mattress and help you match names. He is also a big heavy guy with his own back issues and does not recommend the same thing for everyone. He seems to help people understand what they need without being a salesman. I have spent hours reading the site and it added to the education I received from this one. It takes about a week for a submitted question to get answered. </p><p>The best thing you can do is spend the time it takes to educate yourself. I have spend 80+ hours in my spare time reading these two forums as well as epinions and cross referencing mattress names on google to see what equaled what. Once you think you know what you need after reading what others like you have tried and missed or tried and succeeded, make a list and go try out the mattresses that work for your body type and needs. Then decide if you want to buy a ready made one, a box spring with a do it yourself topper assortment, or something entirely from scratch.This site has wonderful help for the second and third option.</p><p>I wish you success--Sabra
Reply #8 Feb 27, 2008 1:43 AM
He's a salesman alright. :-) But I'm pretty sure he doesn't hide that fact. He has a store in New Jersey (I think) and will be quick to sell you a mattress whereEVER you live.

novahelp wrote:
I wouldn't trust that blog site.  I posted about it before, and it is a biased front for a mattress salesman..
Reply #9 Feb 27, 2008 4:55 AM
sager66 wrote:

Sager66-- 328 posts... Do you ever have anything worthwhile to contribute? Just asking, cause you know, I wouldn't want to waste my time researching any of your previous contributions to this forum.
This message was modified Feb 27, 2008 by cloud9
Reply #10 Feb 27, 2008 7:43 AM
cloud9 wrote:
Sager66-- 328 posts... Do you ever have anything worthwhile to contribute? Just asking, cause you know, I wouldn't want to waste my time researching any of your previous contributions to this forum.

Then that would be a big mistake on your part. Sager66 has been here 3+ years and the posts are informative, succinct and chock full of excellent information. The position is correct. Posters should not just show up and without doing any preliminary research/reading here whatsoever, toss out a question whether any of half a dozen piece of $hit mattresses are any good. Those questions are a disservice to everyone here. They lower the discourse. And the funny thing is--that approach generally is disadvantageous even to the poster since has so little time and energy invested in the process that little necessary information will sink in.
Reply #11 Feb 27, 2008 1:00 PM
sager66 wrote:

Ahhhh... you were being sarcastic. That went over my head. That's the danger of virtual communication I guess. The subtle (and not so subtle) nuances of sarcasm are easily misinterpreted without the benefit of voice tone or facial expression.

I'm relieved to know that you weren't dissing all previous contributers to this forum... just the poor guy asking a question.
Reply #12 Feb 27, 2008 3:34 PM
kimmcgov wrote:
Ahhhh... you were being sarcastic. That went over my head. That's the danger of virtual communication I guess. The subtle (and not so subtle) nuances of sarcasm are easily misinterpreted without the benefit of voice tone or facial expression.

I'm relieved to know that you weren't dissing all previous contributers to this forum... just the poor guy asking a question.

Don't feel bad - the sarcasm went over my head, too.

For those of us who are convinced that the Big S companies and others sell mattresses made of pure crap materials, it is difficult to answer these questions without sounding like curmudgeons who hate all mattress manufacturers (which, okay, I basically am! ;-D )

I mean, the facts are the facts: Sealy loads most (if not all) of their mattresses with crappy unsupportive material. I defy anyone to prove me wrong.

I will venture to guess that Serta, Spring Air, Sterns and Foster, Simmons, etc. - all the "big" manufacturers - also load their mattresses with super soft non-supportive foam and other junky materials that provide no support and wear out very quickly.

So it's my inclination to tell people this when they ask about a Big S mattress... I don't know who runs this forum and why they started it, but I am thankful that it exists and that they allow people to call them as they see them.

Reply #13 Feb 29, 2008 6:18 AM
I just don't see the point of being sarcastic or grouchy. People are looking for some direction here not humiliation. Shopping for a mattress can be overwhelming for a lot of people. Yeah, sure they ought to do the research but for a lot of  people--their head's are already spinning from just the shopping alone. They go into a store and all they see are S-brands everywhere that are marketed to seem like the answer to their prayers.

I don't have a problem with someone taking the fast track and just asking for a quick opinion. Most newbies don't realize that every store sells the same mattress under a different name or that mattress lines change every six months, so even if you do research this forum you probably won't find any information on the exact mattress you just looked at.

I think most of the regular participants on this forum like sharing their knowledge and helping other people out.  So yeah, Oilerguy, all the S-brands are basically crap and it doesn't matter what you buy. Avoid pillowtops, eurotops, plushtops etc. Just make sure it's got good sturdy springs and be prepared to open it up and replace the foam in a couple of years. Or better still, get a sturdy mattress without any foam and just add your own toppers.

Reply #14 Feb 29, 2008 6:26 AM
mccldwll wrote:
Then that would be a big mistake on your part. Sager66 has been here 3+ years and the posts are informative, succinct and chock full of excellent information. The position is correct. Posters should not just show up and without doing any preliminary research/reading here whatsoever, toss out a question whether any of half a dozen piece of $hit mattresses are any good. Those questions are a disservice to everyone here. They lower the discourse. And the funny thing is--that approach generally is disadvantageous even to the poster since has so little time and energy invested in the process that little necessary information will sink in.

That may be true, but lately all he does is bitch about how lazy people are. I disagree that the questions are a disservice to everyone here. I think the discourteous replies are a disservice. It's kind of like going to the information desk and asking for directions and having the staffer tell you to look at the directory yourself and not waste their time.  Read my other post on this matter.
Reply #15 Feb 29, 2008 6:52 AM
cloud9 wrote:
It's kind of like going to the information desk and asking for directions and having the staffer tell you to look at the directory yourself and not waste their time.

No. It's not. Reread the original post.
Reply #16 Mar 2, 2008 6:14 AM
cloud9 wrote:
It's kind of like going to the information desk and asking for directions and having the staffer tell you to look at the directory yourself and not waste their time.

mccldwll wrote:

No. It's not. Reread the original post.
Oilerguy wrote: does anyone have any info on the following mattresses. Serta Perf. sleeper Northstar Stellaris-Sealy Post. Savior plush---- Sealy post, Influence----Sealy Post Inspiration------ Stearns and Foster Hoffman------ Corsicana------ I am a big guy but came across these mattresses and box springs for 500.any help would be greatly appreciated...
You mean that original post, or have I completely lost sight of the point you're trying to make? Because I was remarking on Sager's and I guess on your impatience with people who take the shortcut and ask for some quick feedback without taking the time to read every post that was ever written on this forum.
This message was modified Mar 2, 2008 by cloud9
Reply #17 Mar 2, 2008 7:16 AM
"without taking the time to read every post that was ever written on this forum."

Given to hyperbole? Anyone capable of boiling water could spend 10 minutes checking reviews and scanning posts and discover not only that a $500 mattress/box spring set was junk, but that mattress names are all over the map.
Reply #18 Mar 2, 2008 2:59 PM
It's not nice to be a mattress snob. Very tempting, yes. But, still not nice. :)

I find this sort of thing happening on other consumer forums...EXCEPT CruiseCritic! :-) I learn so much from people asking questions that may have been asked a hundred posts ago. I also find that people will many times add a helpful link to a past thread which the current poster is asking about. Those kinds of helpful gestures make for a pleasant and user-friendly forum. AND, it sure keeps me coming back! Not to mention having the opportunity to actually have met some of these PATIENT folks.

I might not feel as excited about getting together with someone who was in the habit of ragging on me for my first time questions. :(

mccldwll wrote:
&quot;without taking the time to read every post that was ever written on this forum.&quot;<BR><BR>Given to hyperbole? Anyone capable of boiling water could spend 10 minutes checking reviews and scanning posts and discover not only that a $500 mattress/box spring set was junk, but that mattress names are all over the map.
This message was modified Mar 3, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #19 Mar 3, 2008 6:27 AM
mccldwll wrote:
"without taking the time to read every post that was ever written on this forum."

Given to hyperbole? Anyone capable of boiling water could spend 10 minutes checking reviews and scanning posts and discover not only that a $500 mattress/box spring set was junk, but that mattress names are all over the map.

Oh come on! The point of this forum is to share knowledge, not show everyone how superior we are. I don't have a problem with helping someone out. If you do, perhaps you should just not reply to questions you think are beneath you.
Reply #20 Mar 3, 2008 7:43 AM
You win. You're elected to answer every open-ended question tossed out, whether discussed and/or answered dozens of times before or not. It's like a high school student who has slept through an entire class, then wakes up with 5 minutes left and asks questions that everyone else has been discussing for the first 45 minutes. Good forums request that posters make a bit of an effort before posting. That's why FAQs are common. Snobbery or superiority? Get real. It's common sense. Aside from being a waste of bandwidth, lazy posting accomplishes absolutely nothing since more than one response/opinion for each mattress mentioned really is needed. So an OP then has to weigh the responses/opinions, then will go back into the forum anyway for more info. That's bassackwards. Do the very basic preliminary research, then ask more focused questions, and everyone wins.
Reply #21 Mar 4, 2008 6:11 AM
Occasionally you make some valuable contributions to this forum but too often you seem to use it as an outlet to air your discontent with the world. I feel like I'm wasting my valuable time by bothering to respond to you when I could be helping someone out replying to their open-ended questions. Man, you are one rude miserable dude!  I'm sure you'll sleep very well tonight secure in the knowledge of what a wonderful human being you are. Did you catch the sarcasm there?
Reply #22 Mar 4, 2008 7:11 AM
cloud9 wrote:
'''...... but too often you seem to use it as an outlet to air your discontent with the world. I feel like I'm wasting my valuable time by bothering to respond to you when I could be helping someone out replying to their open-ended questions. Man, you are one rude miserable dude!  I'm sure you'll sleep very well tonight secure in the knowledge of what a wonderful human being you are. Did you catch the sarcasm there?

Get help.
Reply #23 Mar 5, 2008 5:16 AM
mccldwll wrote:
Get help.

Bored now.

Recent Posts