New - bunch of questions
Aug 11, 2010 5:04 PM
Hi I am new, and going through mattress troubles.  I have just realized that my bed is killing me when I sleep :(  I just got a new mattress, which is the same as my old one.  Its a "Simmons signature plush III", whatever that means :)  Its a pillow top, but only on one side.  Anyhow, I didn't buy this mattress nor do I own it or the one before and given where I live in the Caribbean there are no mattress stores about.  

The issue is my lower back is killing me. I use to sleep on my side and still fall asleep that way, I think that is the way I want to sleep, but it becomes uncomfortable in my lower back and hip area, then I notice that I find myself sleeping on my stomach after I am asleep, with one leg or the other raised up real high to my side, like I have raised my knee....if that makes sense.  I toss to and fro all night.  I can't sleep on my back, for whatever the reasons, although I am going to try more.

I don't know if I need a firm bed or a soft.  I am so confused now :) I figured firm since my other bed was so soft and hammacked that It was really hurting me.  I read that you want a softer bed for side sleeping so your hips can sink in.  I have never been shopping for a mattress, and have to wait till I fly back to the States before I can try some.

I did start thinking of a DIY on the non-pillow top side.  I can probably get a lot of supplies via mail - if not too big/heavy.   I can't cut the mattress since it is not mine, but I do think I could lay some foam/latex down and see where it leads me.  My questions is what would you recommend I top with for how I sleep  I want to make my experimentation as cheap as possible....I don't mind spending money, but not until I know its perfect.

Also what on earth are Hotel mattresses?  What makes them different...anything?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you,

Ser

Recent Posts