Need pointed in the right direction
Oct 12, 2010 9:27 PM
My current mattress is about 10 years old and is probably due for repalcedment.  I have a hard time sleeping sometimes, and don't always wake up refreshed.

So I visited a mattress store yesterday and spent about an hour trying just about every bed in the joint.  The one I liked the best was the low end Stearns & Foster in a plush.  Unfortunately, it was out of my price range.  The salesman brought down the price about 25% by using a "clearance" box spring, but I didn't give in.  I probably would have had he thrown in free delivery.  Decided to "sleep on it."

I had read a little bit before going to the store, and was trying to look for stuff like the number of coils and gauge of steel.  They didn't have much of that info.  I tried the Tempurpedic bed and thought it was nice, but out of my price range.  They had a few latex floor models for 50% off.  There was one that I liked that seemed a little firmer than the rest, and I think I could have been happy with it.  I liked the individual coils the best, but maybe I'm not used to latex or foam?

Anyways, I got home and started researching and found that the three-S's are frowned upon and basically scratched them off!  I've read through here and found recommendations to search for local mattress companies.  I found a few:

http://www.bowlesmattress.com/html/crown.htm http://indianamattresscompany.com/default.aspx http://www.holdermattress.com/ http://www.holderbedding.net/index.html

I can get to the places that carry those beds.. Should I try to find the firmest matress I can and buy toppers?  My initial thinking is a firm mattress from a local shop and getting the 2.5" memory foam topper from Sam's club - staying local in case I'm unhappy.  Find the lowest gauge steel?  Bonnell springs, or open?

I've read about the DIY mattress.. like FBM stuff.  That's not entirely unappealing.  Doing surgery is unappealing though, because I'm a litle clumsy ;) I'd run in to the problem of a foundation (I have a headboard, footboard, and side rails I'd like to keep) with the DIY stuff.  It's kinda scary for me to go this route since I can't try the foam or latex before I buy. I don't want to be completely stuck.

I'm 6'4" and about 240.. so a big guy. I sleep on my back and side.  Anyone care to poke me in a certain direction for further researching?  I'm (more than) a little confused right now.

Re: Need pointed in the right direction
Reply #43 Oct 17, 2010 2:48 PM
I have the stats for the Simmons natural care and even more importantly (they are almost all latex) the natural care elite. How each of these felt to you and the specific model that felt that way can lead to great information about combinations that work for you.

Using more expensive mattresses with higher quality materials in a mattress store can be an invaluable research tool in finding a much much less expensive mattress with similar qualities in a much lower budget.

They are well worth trying out along with the Serta pure response and the Sealy embody just for the information you can gain from knowing which of these fits you. This information could be very valuable in choosing a different (and much less expensive) bed with similar characteristics.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 17, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #44 Oct 17, 2010 3:20 PM
I've found the stats on the us-mattress.com site.  The "plush" side of the mattresses had 14 ILD Dunlop on the top, and the firm ones had 28 ILD.  The bottom was the same 8" of 22 ILD foam.  So, right, I could go to a one of the online places and order similar feeling, but higher quality, materials for less.  Yes, that information is great smiley
Reply #45 Oct 25, 2010 6:53 PM
I ended up purchasing a firm mattress from Holder tonight.  I really liked the feel of the soft top in the store, but after discussing things with the salesman, we figured the firm with a latex topper would be best for me. 

I told him my fears of the foam in the soft top or pillow top breaking down and my plans to put a latex topper on the firm mattress.  He didn't think that was a bad idea because I'll be able to more easily change the feel of the bed if I change in a couple years.  Actually seemed to slightly encourage me towards that direction rather than the soft top.  Maybe he was just being a good salesman and sensed that was what I wanted?  Who knows.  Also, knowing the mattress was made 60 miles away gives me a warm fuzzy feeling ;)

He quoted me $1600 to make a soft top using latex instead of foam, but was rather discouraging about it.  It was something to do with how they attach the foam / latex to the side creates a mound effect.  He said that effect is more pronounced with the latex.  They would have preferred to do a pillow top with latex in the pillow, which was something I actually tried but thought was just too soft for me.  The entire latex bed just didn't feel right to me.  I think I "need" the springs or there'd be too much of a "learning" curve for me.

Now to decide on a topper!  The topper will put me over my budget, but not as far over as a premade full latex mattress or the "custom" latex / spring mattress.

This message was modified Oct 25, 2010 by perryw
Reply #46 Oct 26, 2010 9:53 PM
For anyone still keeping track.. I was strongly considering changing to the soft top later last night, kinda second guessing myself.  Mainly because I feel like I'm about to get in over my head with the latex and such.  Just dealing with the chances of the soft top breaking down because I'm so frustrated with how bad my current mattress is and I know how that soft top feels.

I ended up not changing and ordered 2" of medium latex from FoamByMail and a Natura washable wool mattress pad.  I think the first couple nights may end up being on just the firm mattress, unless FBM got the latex shipped today.

Reply #47 Oct 26, 2010 10:27 PM
Well I'm still keeping track. It's always interesting how the search ends up :)

What did you end up buying from holder? I know you said it was a firm but just curious about the "specs".

I think you are much better off with the firm and a latex topper than you would be with a soft top (assuming you meant a soft top with poly and not the latex one you mentioned).

Phoenix

Reply #48 Oct 27, 2010 6:10 AM
Well, I'm not sure of the amount of foam on the top and bottom of the springs, but it's not much.  It's a flippable mattress, 13gauge coils top and bottom, 12 3/4 in the middle.  The salesman said the last one he sold was to a couple in their 80's that said they wanted a mattress one step softer than a board.  I can ask how man inches of foam top and bottom when they deliver (small company, my salesman said he'd be delivering) if you're curious. 

I definitely did not buy it because of its comfort!

Recent Posts