Need help cutting through Latex Mattress Fog
Sep 27, 2013 2:41 PM
I have been reading numerous posts, and look forward to the opinions of any of you that have one.

I am considering a new purchase of a Latex Mattress, and since there is no local dealer in Chattanooga that has the expertise to discuss these matters intelligently.I have read an old entry dated 2010 by Phoenix and am just trying to clarify a few points, and to see if there have been any changes in the past three years.

First, I am looking at a budget of $3000 plus or minus.  It would not hurt my feelings to come in below, but if someone can talk me into it, I will consider the benefits.

Second, based on what I have been reading in this forum, Astrabeds, Plushbeds, OMI, Flobeds and Dremata are among the most popular with OMI being strong but much more expensive.  Is there a consensus that these offer good represenations of Latex mattresses?  Natural is another brand, but seems to be questionably reliable.  Does anyone have someone different that you believe I really should be looking at?  I looked at Astrabeds (aka Simply Rest) on the BBB web site, and they are given an F rating and scathing reviews.  When I contacted Astrabeds, they indicated that they are INDEED a different company from Simply Rest and have been unable to get Better Business Bureau to correct their entry.  Can anyone confirm that Astrabeds is a reliable online retailer?

Next, I weigh 210 and sleep on my side,  my wife is 115 and sleeps on her back,  She is handicapped with Rheumatoid arthritis, and need support of hips, back, knees and shoulders, but had avoided the memory foam because she also has trouble moving, so doesn't like the consttraints of being "cocooned" in very soft foam. 

Astrabeds suggested their Harmony bed with layers of 36, 32 and 28 ILD bottom to top but from what I have read, this sounds fairly stiff to me.  I am inclined to go a "4 layer" bed just so I can get more different foam types (from 19-36) and be able to swap more to get just the right feel.  Flobeds promotes different layers on each have of the bed, which precludes being able to rotate the mattress, which I assume would help in the avoidance of body impressions.

I am definitely looking for all natural, but not necessarily "certified" because of the offgas issue.  I guess what I need is for someone to convince me that any of the above vendors are not acceptable, and as one previous post indicated, it is just to stop analyzing to death and just pull the trigger

This message was modified Sep 27, 2013 by charnlar

Recent Posts