Need a good coil mattress
Apr 23, 2012 3:37 PM
Can anyone tell me the mattresses they are happy with that have lasted more than a couple of years and are still firm with no body impressions?  No pillow tops either .. so tired of looking at mattresses and second guessing myself.
Re: Need a good coil mattress
Reply #1 May 8, 2012 12:21 AM
I have had Serta for almost 14 years. No issues, no hammock effects, no ridges, fabric and stitching is still in good condition. But do not take my word for it their manufacturing ethic may have changed over the years.
Reply #2 May 8, 2012 2:08 AM
Well, I got about 8 years out of a coil mattress made for my Flex-a-bed adjustable bed. And then another 18+ years out of a no-name memory foam over HD poly foam mattress that now needs replacing. Case is good as new, despite being on an adjustable bed. I just replaced the foam with new dense foam from the manufacturer on the adjustable base in anticipation of my next mattress being a latex one.  After an extensive search, I've concluded that in the long run they are the best for the money (and for one's overall health).  Not for everyone, of course.

We also just replaced my daughter's 6 year old Englander pillow top innerspring mattress with a fairly cheap Dormia memory foam model- that's what she preferred. It just seems like having springs these days is not a great idea if you want a mattress to hold up well. Your mileage may vary...

Reply #3 Jun 1, 2012 9:14 AM
Thanks for the replys.. still looking and still in pain.. I know I have a back/nerve issue but this bed I Comfort Prodigy by Serta is the just the most uncomfortable piece of whatever..I think its the density and the sinking part, supposed to help your pressure points.. it is giving me pressure.. I am so disgusted with this bed.. right now have put a memory foam topper on it and it has taken away that feeling of just flat and then the heat from your body makes you sink.. like quick sand..I know this is tempory fix.. and need to purchase again, but to purchase what is the question.. I think all mattress stores or the company itself should offer a refund if you are not satisfied after a certain date..for the amt. of money we pay for these mattresses there should be a better warranty other than just an exchange...and if the store doesn't have that many lines you are stuck like I am..I either had to exhcange for a much lesser value or jump even higher  with again so many stipulations that it makes the consumer afraid that the quality won't be there and then you are out major dollars..  Very frustrated consumer!!!!
Reply #4 Jun 1, 2012 10:49 AM
It sounds like you don't really want to spend any more money, but if you're stuck with that mattress and are trying to make the best of it with a comfortable top layer (and memory foam doesn't do it for you) you could go the latex topper route.  Latex doesn't respond to your body heat like memory foam does, and you don't have that slow, sinking feeling. It is more expensive that most memory foam, though.  A 3" King with zipper cotton cover will run you $508 (including shipping) from Sleep EZ. If you get an ILD you don't like (like if 19 is too soft), you should have the option of exchanging for another firmness, an advantage you don't have with memory foam. If you talk to Shawn there, he can advise you as to your best option of getting it right  the first time. You can ask about different thicknesses as well. You can also try FoamByMail, which is cheaper, but I don't know anything about their return policy.  Good luck!
Reply #5 Jun 5, 2012 9:37 PM
Original Mattress Factory    Orthopedic Ultra Firm.  Next one down is the Orthopedic Firm.  There are a chain with regional markets near their factories. 

I have a friend who weighs 400# or more.  He bought  the Ultra Firm in 2007 and it's still holding up very well to him.   He got the double row of foam cyliners at the edges, though, and they only offer a single row now due to flammability issues or something.

Reply #6 Jun 5, 2012 9:40 PM
I wanted the OMF Ortho Ultra Firm, but didn't have the money and am not done moving around the country yet, either.  So I went cheap, buying a discontinued mattress.  I'm happy with my setup, here:  

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/i-love-my-new-cheap-mattress-/19536-0-1.html

Reply #7 Aug 13, 2012 1:58 PM
Consumer Reports doesn't post mattress reviews for a very good reason.

A Mattress is kind of like a specific size of shoe.

I love my size 10 Dockers. They're comfortable, have good traction, and are extra wide for my foot. If I poll 1000 random people, however, and have them try my size 10 extra wide dockers, a large percentage of them probably wouldn't like them. There is no best mattress. There's a best mattress FOR YOU.

That said, we're more than happy to help you find that one.

Recent Posts