Need Advice
Nov 7, 2007 6:46 AM
Hi.  Just found this forum & could use some help.       I recently replaced my OLD mattress with a Simmons world class spirit plush from mattress giant.  At the show room it felt great, but at home it feels to firm.  I'm a side sleeper.  Can't sleep on this thing on my side, very uncomfortable.  On my back it feels fine.   iv'e had it for 30 days as of today.  The store has a 1 time exchange policy.   The manager suggested a Kingsdown.   Of course it will cost me more money.  Around $500  with delivery & stain protection.   Is it smarter to just buy a latex topper ?  The kingsdown has a 20 year warranty.   Toppers have a 1 year or less ?    Thanks for your input..
Re: Need Advice
Reply #1 Nov 7, 2007 12:13 PM
Hi JoeA,

Honestly, I would try a 2-3" topper first. You can purchase one at Overstock or Amazon pretty reasonably priced. I prefer latex to memory foam, and I like soft better than medium. Your problem is that today is D-day for you. If you exchange it for a softer mattress, you may not like the lack of support for your back. Unfortunately, the store will not let you exchange that one. To be honest, $500 seems like a lot of money to take that chance with. With a topper, you can replace it (good latex should last more than a year) when you feel the need for a soter of firmer mattress. Just an opinion, but since today is the day you must decide, you may be talked into a decision without the time to think it over. Also, see if you can get any time extension on the comfort exchange. Best of luck!

Reply #2 Nov 7, 2007 5:22 PM
Hi sillymom.   Thanks for your input.  Actually, I still have another 15 days to do the exchange. Iv'e never owned a topper. So you think I'll needto replace the topper annually ?    The cheapest topper Iv'e seen is about $150 @ walmart.   If I need a new topper annually, that sure adds up.   On the other hand,  you're right about getting stuck with a softer mattress.   I have a plush ,  simmons world class, not pillow top.   Do you think this will get softer if i hang on to it ?   Thanks again.
Reply #3 Nov 7, 2007 7:50 PM
Firm mattress w/ any array of toppers gives you the most options.  You can't firm up a too soft mattress. That being said, I would keep what you have.

Latex topper will not need to be replaced annually.  I think I've heard 5+ years for latex toppers is average, mattresses can be 15+ years.  www.foambymail.com sells latex toppers cheap.
This message was modified Nov 7, 2007 by jiffy524
Reply #4 Nov 7, 2007 9:56 PM
I would buy a latex topper.
Reply #5 Nov 7, 2007 10:59 PM
Thanks to everyone for the help.  Sounds like  a talalay latex topper is the way to go.  
This message was modified Nov 7, 2007 by JoeA
Reply #6 Nov 8, 2007 2:14 AM
Foam Nerd
FoamByMail is a good place to buy a latex topper. I bought a 2" thick Cal King for $185 with free shipping. That's just a bare piece of latex with no cover. eMattress.com and SleepWarehouse are two other sources for reasonably priced latex toppers. I recommend the "soft" latex.
This message was modified Nov 8, 2007 by haysdb

Recent Posts