Need advice to improve basic Tempurpedic - Too Firm
Sep 14, 2012 10:58 PM
I have a 10 year old Tempurpedic kingsize bed.  It's so firm and I constantly toss and turn.  I bought an extra thick polyester mattress topper from Macy's and it's helped but is still uncomfortable.  I have to take ibuprophen each night as my body gets sore using this bed.  When I lay on my back and sides, it's so firm and my body starts to ache thus causing me to toss and turn more than normal.

The best night sleep I've had was on a Serta Suite Dreams bed which Hilton uses but I don't want to buy one if I can avoid it.  

Can you coach me on how to improve my tempurpedic to be much softer?  Should I purchase more memory foam and/or latex foam?

Thanks for helping me move towards better sleeping!

Re: Need advice to improve basic Tempurpedic - Too Firm
Reply #1 Sep 15, 2012 11:03 AM
10-years old and still too firm... suggests not much hope for fixing it other than to make it the core support layer beneath a soft comfort layer.

Coming from a Latex point of view, I would add a 3" Talalay Latex layer on top, say ILD 19-28 depending on your height and weight.  Plan on putting a relaxed fit wool pad over that to manage body heat and moisture.  Relaxed so that it allows the Latex to contour.

Down the road, you could migrate these new items to a fully Latex mattress.

Unfortunately, Latex in king size costs the most and will probably have a glue seam.  You might consider 2 twin xl Latex layers of different firmness for each side... a split layer.  You could order one side toward ILD 19 first to try it, assuming it will become hers.  Then order the other side with better insight into what firmness you want.

Finally, be sure your 10 year old mattress and support is not sagging as this cannot be fixed and will continue to strain your body.

GK

Reply #2 Sep 15, 2012 11:45 AM
I agree with everything GK has said.
Reply #3 Sep 15, 2012 1:13 PM
Thank you for your advice and speedy reply.  I weigh 190 and am 5' 11.

1. Do you recommend I order from Foam Factory or another vendor?

2. Where do you recommend I purchase the wool from?

Thanks again for your coaching!  

This message was modified Sep 15, 2012 by davebarr7
Reply #4 Sep 15, 2012 10:48 PM
I would look for resellers of Latex International Talalay Latex.  Their website lists a few online resellers.

Some resellers offer LI's Rejuvenite 3" Topper in a nice cover.  That may interest you.

Wool pads can be found at the usual bedding outlets.  I'm not really into recommending resellers... I certainly don't buy enough of this stuff to recommend a business.

GK

Reply #5 Sep 17, 2012 8:08 AM
Hi.. Please do yourself a favor.. forget about buying toppers for this mattress.. it's 10 years old... you will never fix it.. and BTW... the memory foam you are sleeping on will still be the memory foam you are  sleeping on with a new topper etc.   All you will waste is your time and money.. Get a decent coil mattress with a nice covering.. I highly recommend dumping foam and latex.. they eventually will beat your body beyond repair..   Also, make sure you do not buy a pillow top ever.. and make sure you know what is on top of the coil mattress you are buying.. should be a nice combination of material that lasts and doesn't compress.. the feeling you have on the memory foam is the density is pushing back on your body causing the pain you feel thus not giving you the comfort level you need.  The first thought is the bed was too firm to begin with.. be a smart shopper the next time you buy and you will have NO regrets.. Good Luck...
Reply #6 Sep 17, 2012 2:36 PM
Thanks Glenbury!  I've been debating this option of just buying a new bed.  Will all the options out there, what do you recommend?  I know I need a softer bed.  Should I consider an air-bed since the softness can be adjusted?  I realize air-beds usually have latex and memory foam added on top.

Just wondering how to distill down to the best choice considering there are so many options of beds to buy.  What name brands are best, etc.?

Reply #7 Sep 17, 2012 3:21 PM
Hey there Dave... Listen I have been the route of latex, and memory foam.. believe me they saw me coming.. spent a fortune on all of them.. and still terrible..the mattress industry is a very profitable one for the manufacturers and the store owners.. they love us..!!!   They have all the gimmincks, all the textures, all the material you could want in a lifetime, trouble is you don't get anything for your money today.  You are lucky to have had your Tempurpedic for 10 years.. they have improved upon them over the years and offer all kinds of  comfort levels today.. I finally gave up and went back to a coil mattress with a firm feel and soft but not too soft a top as I didn't want all this padding to compress on me.. do I love it .. NO.. but it is the first bed in 5 years that I can stay in longer than 1 or 2 hours..  If the air mattress you are talking about is the Sleep Number.. forget it.. have a few friends that have had them and they hated it, and one got mold under it.. yes check that out there was a class action law suit against these people.. It is truly a buyer beware world today.. !!!  I wish there was a magic mattress out there for all our needs, but you just have to really do your homework and lay on these more than just a half hour in the store.  I would truly stay away from all these crazy things you read on these posts here about toppers ( they love selling those) big bucks for a NO fix.. or these people here that are performing surgeries to their mattresses.. what the heck is that..?  Be a smart shopper and look at all the selections out there within your pocketbook and make an intelligent decison... and one more thing.. if you think you can get another 10 years out of a mattress today..better think again..  Been had by the best names in the industry of mattresses so I am hardly the one to suggest any brand to you, I just chimed in to see if I could just help another out after having been put through the ringer with the best of them.. warranties stand for nothing....just good ole luck of the draw..Pleasant dreams my friend...!
Reply #8 Sep 20, 2012 3:47 AM
Glenbury wrote:

Hey there Dave... Listen I have been the route of latex, and memory foam.. believe me they saw me coming.. spent a fortune on all of them.. and still terrible..the mattress industry is a very profitable one for the manufacturers and the store owners.. they love us..!!!   They have all the gimmincks, all the textures, all the material you could want in a lifetime, trouble is you don't get anything for your money today.  You are lucky to have had your Tempurpedic for 10 years.. they have improved upon them over the years and offer all kinds of  comfort levels today.. I finally gave up and went back to a coil mattress with a firm feel and soft but not too soft a top as I didn't want all this padding to compress on me.. do I love it .. NO.. but it is the first bed in 5 years that I can stay in longer than 1 or 2 hours..  If the air mattress you are talking about is the Sleep Number.. forget it.. have a few friends that have had them and they hated it, and one got mold under it.. yes check that out there was a class action law suit against these people.. It is truly a buyer beware world today.. !!!  I wish there was a magic mattress out there for all our needs, but you just have to really do your homework and lay on these more than just a half hour in the store.  I would truly stay away from all these crazy things you read on these posts here about toppers ( they love selling those) big bucks for a NO fix.. or these people here that are performing surgeries to their mattresses.. what the heck is that..?  Be a smart shopper and look at all the selections out there within your pocketbook and make an intelligent decison... and one more thing.. if you think you can get another 10 years out of a mattress today..better think again..  Been had by the best names in the industry of mattresses so I am hardly the one to suggest any brand to you, I just chimed in to see if I could just help another out after having been put through the ringer with the best of them.. warranties stand for nothing....just good ole luck of the draw..Pleasant dreams my friend...!

what mattress did you got finally that you say is working for you and from which store did you buy it? Thanks

Reply #9 Sep 21, 2012 4:33 PM
Thank you all for your advice.  I haven't purchased a bed yet as I'm in the researching best options mode.

Are air beds worth it?  I'm thinking a decent quality airbed would be a safer purchase as it will allow me to adjust the firmness.

How about this vendor:  http://www.habitatfurnishings.com/air_bed.html

If an airbed isn't the way to go, please let me know what beds to narrow my search down to.  I would like to narrow down my choices to the best makers and best options first before I go to a mattress place or buy online.

Thanks for the help!

Reply #10 Sep 22, 2012 2:28 AM
Go to a few local mattress stores and find out what kind of beds feel good to you right away. Once people know what you like we can point you to some of the better brands and models. Then you can try some of the better ones for a longer period.

Recent Posts