Naturepedic
May 28, 2013 11:19 PM
I am looking at Naturepedic mattress (http://www.naturepedic.com/products/you/organic_mattresses.php) and couldn't find any reviews online regarding the construction and quality of the mattresses (for adults, not kids).  I would appreciate it if any experts could weigh in and tell me your opinions on whether the mattresses are worth considering.  I was looking at the Symphony, but can't tell if it's worth the price.  Thanks.   
Re: Naturepedic
Reply #1 Jun 12, 2013 8:55 AM
I would think that the person who is in the market for this type of mattress is not really price sensitive.   The construction materials look great. Organic latex, wool and other good stuff. Do you really need it?
Reply #2 Aug 22, 2013 11:32 AM
I've had a miserable experience with Naturepedic, also known as BAC Distributing.  Here's a link to my yelp review:

https://www.yelp.com/writeareview/biz/qhEVcKhBJ6r8dMm4znb8QQ?return_url=%2Freview_share%2FqhEVcKhBJ6r8dMm4znb8QQ%2Freview%2Fw0FK43-qhJ9KPsmTG3HVcw%3Ffsid%3DUHHqsyxKf9L4GYb4eGifig&review_id=w0FK43-qhJ9KPsmTG3HVcw

For your convenience, here's the review body:

BAC Distributing, Inc., does business as Naturepedic.  I first came upon Naturepedic at ABC Carpet & Home in New York City, where I saw the Naturepedic Inspire.  The mattress seemed worth considering but unfortunately was made exclusively for ABC and had been discontinued.  The salesperson advised thata newer model, the Symphony, had supplanted the Inspire.

To find a retailer where I might try out the Symphony, I went to Naturepedic's store locator and unfortunately discovered that there were no retailers carrying that mattress--or for that matter, any other Naturepedic mattresses for adults--in the New York City area.

I therefore visited Naturepedic's website, where I unfortunately learned that Naturepedic has decided not to post the specs of the Symphony on the web, even though the ABC Carpet & Home salesperson gave me a flyer containing the specs on the Inspire.  At ABC, they even have a cross section of the Inspire bed, so clearly, like every other mattress supplier, the specs aren't a trade secret of some kind but rather part of the standard information provided to consumers.  Given how much Naturepedic charges for its mattresses, and that I needed a king and queen size at a total combined cost of nearly $10k, I felt I needed at least the detailed specs of the Symphony if I were to be willing to make the purchase online without trying the mattress at a retail location. 

Unable to find a retailer and unable to find the specs on Naturepedic's website, I called Naturepedic.  At various times, I spoke with Jay, Jonathan, Mary, and even non-salesperson Jess.  After the first call, I was told no one knowledgeable about the Symphony was available to speak with me but that such a person would call me back.  A few days later, not having heard from anyone, I called again.  I was told no one was available, and that I should submit an email request for information.

On 8/13/13, I sent an email requesting the specs.  I received no answer.  A few days later, I called back and asked to speak to someone knowledgeable.  I was told someone would call me back.  No one did.  A few days later, I called again, explained that I had tried several times to get information via phone and email, and that I'd like to speak to someone.  I was told no one was available.  Same rigamarole.

On 8/19/13, six days after my initial request, I sent a follow-up email, which read as follows:  "Could someone please reply today to the message below?  I've called in a follow-up several times this past week, all to no avail.  As I just explained to your customer-service representative Jay, I'm relocating on August 30 and need immediately to make a purchase decision so we have beds in our new apartment.  Thank you."  This tone--polite, respectful--typified all of my interactions with the company.

On 8/22/13, four days after my second email, I called again.  I spoke with Mary.  I explained in a calm, respectful, but resolute tone that I had tried several times, by phone and by email, to obtain information about the Symphony.  She kept telling me that no one was available to speak with me, but that I should leave my name and number and someone would call me back.  I told her I had tried that several times to no avail.  When I politely asked why it was always the case that no one was available to speak with me during normal business hours, she refused to answer and accused me of bullying her.

On 8/22/13, shortly after my call with Mary, I researched Naturepedic.  I discovered that Naturepedic is BAC Distributing and called that entity directly at the number above.  I spoke with Jess, who seemed puzzled and concerned that I'd made the connection between Naturepedic and BAC Distributing.  He seemed particularly concerned that I'd obtained the  phone number I entered above.  I explained to Jess my experience with the salespeople, and to my utter shock, he suggested that I buy my mattress from a different company.

All in all, it has been exceptionally unpleasant and disappointing to deal with BAC Distributing d/b/a Naturepedic.  I recommend you stay away and purchase your mattresses elsewhere.
Reply #3 Aug 30, 2013 11:54 AM
I am missing any of your point on the review. Most companies operate under a dba... absolutely nothing fishy there. If there is not retailler in your area that is just a fact and finally rest asure a company with the reputation as Naturepedic I am confident you were belittling just like you are on here which more than likely led to them declining to want to work with you. Move on.... Nothing done wrong here.
Reply #4 Sep 18, 2013 8:51 PM
TOBNC wrote:

I am missing any of your point on the review. Most companies operate under a dba... absolutely nothing fishy there. If there is not retailler in your area that is just a fact and finally rest asure a company with the reputation as Naturepedic I am confident you were belittling just like you are on here which more than likely led to them declining to want to work with you. Move on.... Nothing done wrong here.

TOBNC, and you're right:  you have completely missed my point. I suggest you re-read my post.  The point is that Naturepedic wasn't responsive to my pre-sale enquiries even after saying repeatedly that they would respond.  It's now a month after I made my initial inquiries and I still haven't heard from Naturepedic.

Your claim that "most companies operate under a d/b/a" is just fabricated.  I'm not sure why you'd make that claim.  I'm also not sure why you say my post was belittling.  Anyone can read my post.  It's a chronology of events, with dates and a pasting of all of my emails to Naturepedic.  So contrary to what you say, Naturepedic did do something wrong here.  I must say it's curious that you would make such statements defending Naturepedic.  It makes me wonder whether your post is biased because of some relationship you have with that company.

Reply #5 Sep 19, 2013 9:47 AM
I am a retailler of Organic Mattresses, we do not carry Naturepedic. We did but the relationship just did not work out. my point is you posted a lot of stuff on here and some would actually read and by default think it was all fact when in reality Naturepedic did not and I am sure will not defend the other side. Although not a retailler on Naturepedic and in all disclosure not a huge fan of their adult products I felt inclined to point out that the jibberish you posted was not consistant with what I have seen. I do think most people see that some that post a lot of compaints on the internet probably complain in general, perhaps not the case with you I don't know. Perhaps it was an absolutely terrible experiance that you had and you felt inclined to warn others however I felt the need to post that my experiance... if this was the case it was definately not the norm. By the way the DBA you speak of is the founders initials.
Reply #6 Oct 27, 2013 8:02 AM
TOBNC wrote:

I am a retailler of Organic Mattresses, we do not carry Naturepedic. We did but the relationship just did not work out. my point is you posted a lot of stuff on here and some would actually read and by default think it was all fact when in reality Naturepedic did not and I am sure will not defend the other side. Although not a retailler on Naturepedic and in all disclosure not a huge fan of their adult products I felt inclined to point out that the jibberish you posted was not consistant with what I have seen. I do think most people see that some that post a lot of compaints on the internet probably complain in general, perhaps not the case with you I don't know. Perhaps it was an absolutely terrible experiance that you had and you felt inclined to warn others however I felt the need to post that my experiance... if this was the case it was definately not the norm. By the way the DBA you speak of is the founders initials.

I posted my experience with copious details, including names, dates, and phone numbers.  As the post is written in plain, grammatical English, you have no basis for calling it "jibberish."  Furthermore, you claim in your post that you wanted simply to share your "own experience," even though (a) your experience has nothing to do with mine, since by your own admission you're not a customer or even a potential customer, and (b) you repeatedly attack me personally.  Your personal attacks suggests that you're biased in favor of Naturepedic and in consequence, that you and your posts are untrustworthy.  Best, my friend.

This message was modified Oct 27, 2013 by Peter1234
Reply #7 Oct 27, 2013 10:11 PM
Peter1234 wrote:

I posted my experience with copious details, including names, dates, and phone numbers.  As the post is written in plain, grammatical English, you have no basis for calling it "jibberish."  Furthermore, you claim in your post that you wanted simply to share your "own experience," even though (a) your experience has nothing to do with mine, since by your own admission you're not a customer or even a potential customer, and (b) you repeatedly attack me personally.  Your personal attacks suggests that you're biased in favor of Naturepedic and in consequence, that you and your posts are untrustworthy.  Best, my friend.

I am pretty sure most of the others can see you are a fairly difficult person to deal with based upon your posts. Nothing but the best Pete.

Reply #8 Oct 28, 2013 1:41 PM
TOBNC wrote:

I am pretty sure most of the others can see you are a fairly difficult person to deal with based upon your posts. Nothing but the best Pete.

Yes, let's let people judge for themselves whether it's reasonable for me, a consumer, to request pre-purchase information about a $6,000+ mattress and then, after repeatedly being told the information would be provided, and yet never receiving the information promised information after many weeks of waiting, to then proceed to post his experience here.  Sunlight is the best disinfectant, friend.

This message was modified Oct 28, 2013 by Peter1234
Reply #9 Apr 28, 2015 6:00 PM
And here is Naturpedics phone numbers in Ohio.
Phone: 216-297-9666
Fax: 206-666-6613
This message was modified Apr 28, 2015 by Molly
Reply #10 Apr 28, 2015 6:04 PM
Umm, pretty aggressive posts from someone who clearly works with Naturepedic. Slightly scary. Think I'll stay away from that one. :/

Recent Posts