naturabeds.com 8" Milan Latex mattress
Sep 6, 2008 11:24 PM
Hi,<BR><BR>I just ordered a platform bed with a slat foundation and am planning to replace my current innerspring mattress with a latex mattress. I have about $1,000 to work with. <BR><BR>I've tested the IKEA ERFJORD latex mattress at the store a few times and like it, but wanted to see if anyone was familiar with the Milan 8&quot; Latex Mattress from naturabeds.com. http://www.naturabeds.com/Latex-Mattress-Milan-8--Trevira_p_0-831.html<BR>I can't find any reviews for it anywhere except for some very short comments on eBay from people who have purchased the mattress there (the same company appears to sell their products under the seller EuroSleep4Less). The manufacturer appears to be Somycol. Anyway, if anyone has any experience with the product, I'd appreciate your feedback.<BR><BR>Thanks.
This message was modified Sep 6, 2008 by jstaggie
Re: naturabeds.com 8" Milan Latex mattress
Reply #1 Sep 7, 2008 1:01 PM
Hi,

Funny ... I have been looking at the IKEA ERFJORD latex mattress as well. My only concern with it was the fact it was only 85% natural ... 15% Synthetic. For this reason, I have been looking at the 100% latex mattresses. Neither of us currently have allergies, I just thought it would be best if the mattress I spend 8 hours on a day was free of chemicals. I used to be allergic to all kinds of food.

However, after reading all of the threads on the Spring Air Nature's Rest and the Sealy Spring Free (from this site and others) ... alot of people complain of the following: after a short period of time people complain of a "canoe" feeling; impressions of 1.5" or more after brief use ... like 90 days to 2 years; tearing of the mattress under the material which creates a soft spot and ultimately no support; retailers discontinuing selling them because they have so many returns. All of this was quite disappointing, as I thought FINALLY I had found something I could sleep on with comfort. Now I am positive, I won't be buying those. But is this symptomatic of 100% latex mattresses? I wonder if adding the synthetic latex would making is firmer and ultimately last longer.

As I live near Toronto, ON Canada I wondered if www.naturabeds.com would ship here and they will for $250.

Currently, we sleep on a Simmonds Beauty Rest Pocket Coil and it is about 10 years old. I have been flipping it and flipping it. Well, it is done (my wife and I sleep in two canoes and when she leaves I move over to the hump to get a good sleep for a few minutes) and I am not sleeping well on it at all ... hence, looking for a new option.

We did buy the IKEA Tolg latex mattress pad and it was heavenly to sleep on ... best sleep for three nights. BUT, their manufacturer sent them a shipment of mattress pads that were 5" too short and 4" not wide enough for the eastern King. I had to take it back and was REALLY pissed, as I had such a great sleep on it but being 6'5" I reach from the top of the king mattress to the bottom of it.

My only conflict is whether I should really care if 15% of the ERFJORD mattress is petroleum based synthetic chemicals. Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks.
Reply #2 Sep 11, 2008 2:06 AM
Do a search on latex. Most people that I have read felt that it was no big deal.
Reply #3 Sep 11, 2008 10:05 AM
Thanks Jankdc,

I didn't realize that a lot of the people's posts on this forum for products from Flobeds and Sleepez contained PU or synthetic latex ... with lower levels of natural latex than the IKEA bed.

Also, I have recently been back and like the feel, the quality and the price when compared to other options in the Toronto, ON.

I think I need to find a bed frame now that we are happy with and I will be ready to make a move.

Thanks.
Reply #4 Sep 11, 2008 1:06 PM
Jazzsinger77, I am very allergic to Polyurethane so I can't handle that material in my mattress. I also could not handle a synthetic latex pillow but somehow I was able to handle two out of 6 latex cores of Talalay blended latex. I have very bad allergies so this surprised me. 

Your mattress sounds like it is made well and if you are comfortable then it sounds like a good deal. What is the return policy on it if it is not comfortable after a week? 

Other than that, I feel everyone should go for what is comfortable for their backs and bodies since we are all made different with different requirements. I just needed a mattress where I could tweak it to be the best for my back as it could.  After my car accident last year, I seemed to need my bed even firmer and I was blessed with being able to move the latex cores to get the bed firmer and asking Dave if he would exchange one of my latex cores for a firmer latex core.  I also did not want to be stuck with a mattress for way over 10 years ago if i found it not comfortable so I went with the company with no restocking fee if latex was not for me.  But that is me and everyone has to do what is best for them.

I am having a stressful day and just checking this forum as I eat lunch as quickly as I can so I can get back to my deadlines. 

Reply #5 Sep 11, 2008 3:27 PM
Hi Lynn,

We are quite different ... I am 6'5" and from your posts ... I think you are almost 5". You had a car accident about a year ago and are quite allergic to PU ... I have neither issues. So you are VERY right about your comment each person needs to find a solution that works for their comfort level.

IKEA's return policy is actually very good. Up to 45 days and exchange or refund and up to 90 days for an exchange.

I keep thinking of a spring mattress as they are on sale right now, but the comfort level for me just isn't there. So I will keep looking into it.

Personally, I would like to follow the solution that you have found but I am quite interested in IKEA"s options.

Cheers,

Jazzsinger
Reply #6 Sep 16, 2008 5:24 PM
Thanks for the advice, but I really don't care if latex isn't the current "fashion". I've decided it's what I want. My question was requesting feedback about this specific mattress--if you have information on it, please let me know.
This message was modified Sep 16, 2008 by jstaggie

Recent Posts