natura vs. st. dormeir wool filled mattress pad? A Poll!
Oct 6, 2010 1:43 PM
Hi Folks,

Back to experimenting with surgery mattress... tried my "stack" with and without even a relatively thin 10 year old basic cotton skirted pad (JC Penney)... no more than 3/16 inch thick... and the difference was huge.  Much better without the pad.. which stiffened up and firmed up my top layers of 4 lb mem foam and 19 lb latex so that the comfort supplied by them without the pad was.... almost unnoticeable!  So soft and flexible pad is very important, as many here have commented.

So here is the question:  which of these do you have. like, and recommend.. or would you choose?

1.  Walmart (Sandman's)   Out of stock but $169 delivered?

2.   St. Dormeir    $169 free shipping at cuddledown.com   - Nonreturnable

3.   Natura washable  $169 at Bed & Bath order online only.... + 8% sales tax + $15 shipping o= $198 maybe less 20% coupon... but returnable?

I am inclined to go with returnable Natura, though folks here rave about St. Dormeir. 

Thoughts, anyone?

thanks!  shovel99

This message was modified Oct 6, 2010 by shovel99
Re: natura vs. st. dormeir wool filled mattress pad? A Poll!
Reply #26 Oct 25, 2010 2:05 AM
I ordered the Natura from Walmart yesterday and I'll report on it when it arrives. My original plan was to go with a thinner mattress pad so it wouldn't affect the feel of the mattress but I like sleeping on wool as well. I didn't get wool in the mattress itself and chose the down alternative because it doesn't compress as much and get "hard" when it compresses but in a mattress pad that wouldn't be an issue (it can be "fluffed" and/or replaced). We sometimes have a glass of wine or something in bed as well so I wanted it waterproof/breathable as well just in case. Combine this with the deal they were offering and I just couldn't resist.

If it does turn out to be too thick and/or affect the feel of the mattress in a negative way, I can always return it and get something thinner.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 25, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #27 Oct 25, 2010 4:11 PM
Phoenix, link please for your Natura?

Did you do a review on your mattress on the review section on this forum?  We need all the help we can get here on reviews.  wink

Reply #28 Oct 25, 2010 4:39 PM
The mattress pad was the one I mentioned earlier from Costco.

I'd be happy to do a review on my mattress ... probably in the next few days ... although I've mentioned them a few times in different threads. The mattress itself though was custom built so the review wouldn't refer to an actual mattress or specs that someone else could buy "off the shelf" as much as to a manufacturer ... although anyone could certainly duplicate the specs if they wanted to. I'm assuming that it would still be appropriate for the review section? If it is, I'll wait till I've slept on it for a week and then give the "official review".

Phoenix

Reply #29 Oct 25, 2010 5:58 PM
I searched at Walmart for Natura mattress covers and there was only CSN ones.  What good deal did you get?  I see the link for Costco, thanks, is it the same and is it cheaper?  Let us know what you think of it.

There is a section "Review" next to the forum link on this website.  More people should post their reviews there, they don't seem to as much, guess they expect people to scour the forum.  Not as good for reviewing a mattress.  Yes your review on your particular mattress specs would be helpful. I do see reviews for latex mattress that are custom built, so it is still helpful.

Reply #30 Oct 29, 2010 7:08 PM
I agree with Diane. I have the Dormeir on my FloBed and love it. It's soft and very stretchy. Doesn't change the feel of the bed at all... except it cooled me down this summer, and now that it's cold at night, it's very cozy. I tried the SnugFleece pads, two different ones and found they made the bed much firmer. Yes, the Dormeir is thinner than you'd expect when you open it, but it works... at least for me. And I love that's is washable. smiley

As always, just my opinion,YMMV.

Best to everyone,
Natalie

This message was modified Oct 29, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #31 Oct 29, 2010 8:39 PM
Diane  i dont see her post what did she say for you to agree.
Reply #32 Nov 12, 2010 3:34 AM
Well I received the Natura from Costco. Actually that's not quite accurate since I'm in Canada at the moment and won't be able to give my personal review for some time but I did ask my sweetie a lot of questions about it and here is the second hand review.

It is thinner than the other Natura's that we saw and probably much closer to the Dormier in thickness (my guess would be about 8oz/sq yd). It doesn't seem to change the feel of the mattress one way or another and she says she really likes how it feels on top of the mattress. It is well made (and she looks carefully at stuff like this) and the sides fit easily over the mattress and stay there. There is no "crinkly" feeling from the waterproof/breathable membrane.

The one thing she mentioned is that it had a very strong smell (she is very sensitive to smells) and that she had to air it out for a couple of days before it went away. It is now gone though and she is very happy. She will be sending me pictures of it when she has a chance (top and bottom) and when I get them I will post them here.

All in all a very happy purchase :)

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 12, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #33 Nov 12, 2010 10:41 PM
Phoenix wrote:

Well I received the Natura from Costco. Actually that's not quite accurate since I'm in Canada at the moment and won't be able to give my personal review for some time but I did ask my sweetie a lot of questions about it and here is the second hand review.

It is thinner than the other Natura's that we saw and probably much closer to the Dormier in thickness (my guess would be about 8oz/sq yd). It doesn't seem to change the feel of the mattress one way or another and she says she really likes how it feels on top of the mattress. It is well made (and she looks carefully at stuff like this) and the sides fit easily over the mattress and stay there. There is no "crinkly" feeling from the waterproof/breathable membrane.

The one thing she mentioned is that it had a very strong smell (she is very sensitive to smells) and that she had to air it out for a couple of days before it went away. It is now gone though and she is very happy. She will be sending me pictures of it when she has a chance (top and bottom) and when I get them I will post them here.

All in all a very happy purchase :)

Phoenix

Glad your significant other is happy with the Natura.  Give us a review after you have used it a month.  Pictures would be great too.  I have come to the sad conclusion though no mattress cover will ever work for me.  crying

I thought I loved the Dormeir until the fifth night, I do love it for back sleeping, but side sleeping caused worse hip pain than before.  Yes I do feel the stitching.  Guess I have more weight in the hips than the skinnier folks here, or they don't side sleep.  My latex is 4" of 24ILD.  So not everyone loves the same thing.  I don't have a mattress cover built in the Dormeir is directly over the latex, maybe that is the difference.  I sink in more.

This message was modified Nov 12, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #34 Nov 13, 2010 12:49 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Glad your significant other is happy with the Natura.  Give us a review after you have used it a month.  Pictures would be great too.  I have come to the sad conclusion though no mattress cover will ever work for me.  crying

I thought I loved the Dormeir until the fifth night, I do love it for back sleeping, but side sleeping caused worse hip pain than before.  Yes I do feel the stitching.  Guess I have more weight in the hips than the skinnier folks here, or they don't side sleep.  My latex is 4" of 24ILD.  So not everyone loves the same thing.  I don't have a mattress cover built in the Dormeir is directly over the latex, maybe that is the difference.  I sink in more.

I am astounded that the Dormeir is affecting you that much - it is so thin I never would have thought it could cause problems for you.  So sorry to hear that because as you know I love, love, love mine.

Reply #35 Nov 16, 2010 7:28 PM
Here are the promised pictures of the Natura waterproof/breathable/washable wool mattress pad from Costco as promised. They (like my mattress pictures) were taken in artificial light so the colors aren't quite accurate.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 16, 2010 by Phoenix

Recent Posts