natura vs. st. dormeir wool filled mattress pad? A Poll!
Oct 6, 2010 1:43 PM
Hi Folks,

Back to experimenting with surgery mattress... tried my "stack" with and without even a relatively thin 10 year old basic cotton skirted pad (JC Penney)... no more than 3/16 inch thick... and the difference was huge.  Much better without the pad.. which stiffened up and firmed up my top layers of 4 lb mem foam and 19 lb latex so that the comfort supplied by them without the pad was.... almost unnoticeable!  So soft and flexible pad is very important, as many here have commented.

So here is the question:  which of these do you have. like, and recommend.. or would you choose?

1.  Walmart (Sandman's)   Out of stock but $169 delivered?

2.   St. Dormeir    $169 free shipping at cuddledown.com   - Nonreturnable

3.   Natura washable  $169 at Bed & Bath order online only.... + 8% sales tax + $15 shipping o= $198 maybe less 20% coupon... but returnable?

I am inclined to go with returnable Natura, though folks here rave about St. Dormeir. 

Thoughts, anyone?

thanks!  shovel99

This message was modified Oct 6, 2010 by shovel99
Re: natura vs. st. dormeir wool filled mattress pad? A Poll!
Reply #22 Oct 22, 2010 1:08 AM
Phoenix wrote:

It was actually one of the things that impressed me about them. I use colloidal silver often as an antibiotic or when I'm coming down with something, and it's always worked well for me ... just a little slower than antibiotics.

Phoenix

Have you done any research on how it works in this kind of physical format?  I can't find anything on it.  I can't even figure out how or what their lining is that the silver is in, or on, or...

maybe I'm just too tired right now!

Reply #23 Oct 22, 2010 3:40 AM
No nothing formal although I do know that ionic or colloidal silver kills bacteria and viruses on contact so it would make sense that it could have an effect on keeping a mattress "clean". It's an interesting idea in theory but I really don't know how well it would work in practice. Some of the descriptions at some places are kind of misleading because they imply that somehow it's the silver that makes it waterproof rather than the membrane. I have found out in this search that I really really don't like "unclear" advertising or descriptions. It's just so much work to get to the bottom of things sometimes.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 22, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #24 Oct 22, 2010 11:18 AM
Phoenix, 

With all of your internet research you must be aware of Paul Karason and his experiences with colloidal silver. 

You might want to check this out:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria

Philip

Reply #25 Oct 22, 2010 12:17 PM
Yes , very aware of him and others. I think the medical profession as a whole would love it if people believed that anything even resembling normal use could in any way lead to argyria and thats not even taking into account the type of colloidal silver that is used or other nutrients used in combination with it. http://www.clspress.com/tox.html

In the article you cited, the amount considered safe (no risk of argyria or anything else) over the course of a lifetime is "1 liter of 10 ppm colloidal silver per month for a 66 kg person". That's every single month. That's a LOT of colloidal silver taken every single month for the rest of your life.

I could cite you many more references but I'll leave it to you to do your research if you are interested.

It is probably one of the most beneficial "natural medicines" in my view and I am only one of probably dozens of people I know personally that have used it to great effect over a long period of time. Even my 2 kids grew up with it's use.

Now the alternatives ... including the widespread and indiscriminate use of antibiotics and other medicines ... that's another story that I would hope most of us are aware of.

And even if some crazy people took so much colloidal silver (or anything else that can harm you in crazy doses for that matter), that they turned into "greys" the harmful effects would still not approach the "effects" of some of the much more powerful "medicines" that are regularly used and prescribed by the conventional allopathic medical profession http://www.examiner.com/alternative-medicine-in-detroit/deaths-caused-by-conventional-medicine

It's another one of those "topics" that I've done a lot of research into except this research has been over the course of many many years. It's of course outside the scope of a mattress forum though (laughing).

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 22, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #26 Oct 25, 2010 2:05 AM
I ordered the Natura from Walmart yesterday and I'll report on it when it arrives. My original plan was to go with a thinner mattress pad so it wouldn't affect the feel of the mattress but I like sleeping on wool as well. I didn't get wool in the mattress itself and chose the down alternative because it doesn't compress as much and get "hard" when it compresses but in a mattress pad that wouldn't be an issue (it can be "fluffed" and/or replaced). We sometimes have a glass of wine or something in bed as well so I wanted it waterproof/breathable as well just in case. Combine this with the deal they were offering and I just couldn't resist.

If it does turn out to be too thick and/or affect the feel of the mattress in a negative way, I can always return it and get something thinner.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 25, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #27 Oct 25, 2010 4:11 PM
Phoenix, link please for your Natura?

Did you do a review on your mattress on the review section on this forum?  We need all the help we can get here on reviews.  wink

Reply #28 Oct 25, 2010 4:39 PM
The mattress pad was the one I mentioned earlier from Costco.

I'd be happy to do a review on my mattress ... probably in the next few days ... although I've mentioned them a few times in different threads. The mattress itself though was custom built so the review wouldn't refer to an actual mattress or specs that someone else could buy "off the shelf" as much as to a manufacturer ... although anyone could certainly duplicate the specs if they wanted to. I'm assuming that it would still be appropriate for the review section? If it is, I'll wait till I've slept on it for a week and then give the "official review".

Phoenix

Reply #29 Oct 25, 2010 5:58 PM
I searched at Walmart for Natura mattress covers and there was only CSN ones.  What good deal did you get?  I see the link for Costco, thanks, is it the same and is it cheaper?  Let us know what you think of it.

There is a section "Review" next to the forum link on this website.  More people should post their reviews there, they don't seem to as much, guess they expect people to scour the forum.  Not as good for reviewing a mattress.  Yes your review on your particular mattress specs would be helpful. I do see reviews for latex mattress that are custom built, so it is still helpful.

Reply #30 Oct 29, 2010 7:08 PM
I agree with Diane. I have the Dormeir on my FloBed and love it. It's soft and very stretchy. Doesn't change the feel of the bed at all... except it cooled me down this summer, and now that it's cold at night, it's very cozy. I tried the SnugFleece pads, two different ones and found they made the bed much firmer. Yes, the Dormeir is thinner than you'd expect when you open it, but it works... at least for me. And I love that's is washable. smiley

As always, just my opinion,YMMV.

Best to everyone,
Natalie

This message was modified Oct 29, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #31 Oct 29, 2010 8:39 PM
Diane  i dont see her post what did she say for you to agree.

Recent Posts