My New Mem Foam / Latex / PU Mattress
Mar 10, 2008 4:07 PM
So, after months of lurking in these forums I finally pulled the trigger on the following config:

3" Sensus from SleepWarehouse
2" 20 ILD FBM Talalay Latex
2" 32 ILD FBM Talalay Latex
3" 36 ILD FBM HQ PU

.. and a zippered velour cover from eBay.
All Eastern King sized.

This definitely took some getting used to (having never slept on a foam mattress), but it is extremely comfortable and I finally sleep through the night without tossing and turning.
It is highly temperature sensitive though and I sleep much better if the ambient room temperature stays around 70 degrees.

Everything arrived within about a week and didn't take long to setup even though I went at it alone.  I had somewhat underestimated the difficulty of maneuvering the foam due to the combination of its weight and the nature of the material (especially the latex).  Getting the cover on properly, while still keeping the layers lined up has been a huge challenge.

Currently I'm looking for a good inexpensive low-profile platform frame.  If anyone knows any reliable inexpensive sources, please let me know..  ;]

-Jay
Re: My New Mem Foam / Latex / PU Mattress
Reply #1 Mar 10, 2008 5:43 PM
DiG3RATi wrote:
I'm looking for a good inexpensive low-profile platform frame.

Smart Base

Wal-Mart

Reply #2 Mar 10, 2008 6:23 PM
Thanks for the links, Walmart I had checked earlier, but they do not carry King sizes (or are currently out of stock).
The other is a little more than I wanted to spend (at least for the next year or so).  The prices at Walmart are perfect, its just too bad they don't carry King.
Reply #3 Mar 10, 2008 6:48 PM
Good for you! Two questions...where did you find the zippered velour cover on Ebay and the price you paid?

Also, how do you like the Sensus foam and do you put it on top or under a latex layer?

Thanks--Sabra

Reply #4 Mar 10, 2008 6:57 PM
Sabra wrote:
Good for you! Two questions...where did you find the zippered velour cover on Ebay and the price you paid?

Also, how do you like the Sensus foam and do you put it on top or under a latex layer?

Thanks--Sabra

Hey Sabra,

Here's the link for the cover ($32 - 10" King).

I love the Sensus layer, I've read posts regarding it being too soft, but that is why I went with 3" instead of 2".  At this thickness it feels like my firmest layer until it molds perfectly to every curve, this is also precisely why the temperature of the room is important.  Sensus is temperature sensitive and is softest and most conforming at around 70 degrees.  I have it as my top layer simply because I like the way it molds to me, the latex core keeps it just springy / firm enough to be supportive.  Like I said though, it really takes some getting used to.  Especially if you are coming from an inner-spring mattress.  At first I thought I had made a horrible mistake but once my body became accustomed to being supported properly I slept like I never have before...

Recent Posts