My new Foam by Mail mattress
Dec 30, 2007 4:41 PM
We received our new mattress last week.  There's a 6" firm core, a 1" medium layer, and a 1" soft layer.  We have the mattress right on the floor because that's what we've done ever since we had our baby cosleep with us (she's now 4).  We got the terry cover for $20 extra, and it's actually a velour fabric, not a towel-like terry, so it's very soft.  I like the mattress so far, but I wonder if it would feel better on an Ikea bed with slats.  It seems maybe too soft, so another possibility is to remove the top soft layer and leave it at that, or replace the top soft layer with a medium layer.  It doesn't bother me, really, but I think I'd like it better if it were a bit firmer.  Right now I'm very pregnant with twins,  so maybe I shouldn't make any decisions at my current weight.  Normally I'm about 140 pounds, 5'5" and a side sleeper.  My husband really doesn't like the mattress, though.  He's 5'10", 165 pounds, and thinks it's too soft.  I'm hypothesizing that a big contributer to the back pain he experienced the one night he slept on it is the old reflux wedge that he lays on his side of the bed.  It's made of a cheap-o foam that is super soft, and when we slept on our normal spring mattress it was fine, but on top of this softer mattress I think it makes his sleep surface way too soft.  So I've ordered a new wedge that is described as firm to see if it will help, but if not, will putting the bed on a frame make it firmer? 

Oh, here is a strange thing to watch for from FBM.  Before they shipped my mattress they called to ask if I wanted the layers glued together.  I said no because I didn't know what kind of fumes might result from the glue,  but I wonder if their motive was to make it impossible to return the bed?

Janine

Recent Posts