my bed-in-a-box is too firm- need help!
Jan 10, 2012 7:31 AM
We have a "Pacdown 9" memory foam mattress" with a white goose down cover.  We bought it a little over a year ago.  It's too firm.  We can't take it any more.  My shoulder is constantly sore and my husband's back is just getting worse.  I'm a side, back, or stomach-sleeper (I'm flexible) and my husband prefers his side or back.  We're considering getting an innerspring mattress or getting a topper for the memory foam mattress.  Any suggestions, please?
This message was modified Jan 10, 2012 by vickie
Re: my bed-in-a-box is too firm- need help!
Reply #1 Jan 11, 2012 5:56 PM
vickie wrote:

We're considering getting an innerspring mattress or getting a topper for the memory foam mattress.

I'd think it would be simpler and cheaper to try a topper before replacing your whole mattress, if the mattress is otherwise satisfactory.

You could try an inexpensive eggcrate topper (poly foam), some low-density memory foam (there's a fair amount on Overstock.com), some sort of fiberbed, or some low-ILD latex (say, 19 ILD latex from SleepLikeaBear.com).

Reply #2 Jan 12, 2012 8:07 AM
Catherine, thanks for your help. Judging from your posts, you're most qualified to answer!

We've tried both the egg crate and memory foam toppers; not much help- not the "springy" effect we're looking for.  I've almost convinced myself that a flippable innerspring mattress (if I can find one) with good quality "innards" (coil count, guage, etc.) topped with a latex topper (you suggest 19 ILD from SLAB, right?) is the way to go.  I'm trying to stay from the fancy pillow top, plush, etc. mattresses; I'm aftraid they'll form indentations within a couple of months.

We need to do something soon. 

Reply #3 Jan 12, 2012 8:27 AM
Hi Vickie,

I work at bedinabox. You should give us a call and we will be glad to help you out!

This message was modified Jan 12, 2012 by a moderator
Reply #4 Jan 12, 2012 8:52 AM
vickie wrote:

Catherine, thanks for your help. Judging from your posts, you're most qualified to answer!

You're welcome. I might actually be the least qualified to answer, though, considering that I still can't get my own bed comfortable.

We've tried both the egg crate and memory foam toppers; not much help- not the "springy" effect we're looking for.  I've almost convinced myself that a flippable innerspring mattress (if I can find one) with good quality "innards" (coil count, guage, etc.) topped with a latex topper (you suggest 19 ILD from SLAB, right?) is the way to go.  I'm trying to stay from the fancy pillow top, plush, etc. mattresses; I'm aftraid they'll form indentations within a couple of months.

What part of the country are you in? (And are you in the US or Canada or...?) I've heard good things about Original Mattress Factory; they make flippable mattresses and real box springs. They have locations in Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Minnesota, NC, SC, Ohio, PA, and Virginia. If you're elsewhere, you might want to look for local independent manufacturers and see what they make.

If you go with a latex topper, my recommendation is that you not go any lower than 19 ILD. Depending on what kind of builds you & your husband have, you might be fine with that or you might want 24 ILD or even a little higher. Mattresses.net has 22 ILD toppers; SleepEZ has 22-24 ILD toppers (and 30-32 ILD, but that might be too firm); and SleepLikeaBear (AKA "SLAB") has a wide range of toppers available. SLAB's toppers are returnable within 30 days; I don't know about the other vendors. (There are more vendors, too; these are the ones that came to mind.)

We need to do something soon. 

I know the feeling!

This message was modified Jan 12, 2012 by Catherine
Reply #5 Jan 13, 2012 7:38 AM
Thank you, Catherine, for your advice.  The information that you and others have posted is so helpful; it certainly makes my search easier by being more informed.

The Original Mattress Factory site looks interesting.  I would love to try out their mattresses, but their locations are too far from our home.  I'm 5'6", 130 lbs, husband is 5'9", 200 lbs with spinal disc problems.  His doctor told him yesterday to stay away from memory foam.  He said to buy a comfortable, cheap mattress with the mindset of replacing it in 3-5 years.  I prefer your mattress-surgery technique instead.  So, the search is on.  I tried one store yesterday, got the stats on one mattress that felt good.  It was an Englander "Sleep Edge E F" with pocketed coils, 884 coil count, 13.00 guage, 1" PU foam pad above coils, quilted bamboo top.  I like the pocketed coil feel, and I like the simple design (no pillowtop or plushness).  We'll try more stores next week.

Reply #6 Jan 13, 2012 8:39 AM
vickie wrote:

I tried one store yesterday, got the stats on one mattress that felt good.  It was an Englander "Sleep Edge E F" with pocketed coils, 884 coil count, 13.00 guage, 1" PU foam pad above coils, quilted bamboo top.  I like the pocketed coil feel, and I like the simple design (no pillowtop or plushness).  We'll try more stores next week.

I'll be interested to hear about what you find. I'm about the same size as you, and might be interested in trying low-gauge pocket coils.

My mattress surgery has been a failure in that I found that the springs don't support me enough to be worth using as a base. I don't know if that means that the gauge is too high (wire too thin), there just aren't enough coils, or this is the wrong type of coil for me (open offset coils). So I'm back to square one.

Good luck with your search, and please keep us updated.

Reply #7 Jan 19, 2012 8:12 PM
Well, we ended up buying the Englander Sleep Edge E F.  In the store it felt springy.  It arrived today and it feels like a slab of cement.  I called the store and was told it would soften up in 4-5 days.  I don't see how that will happen.  Is it possible?  The store manager said we may be allowed to upgrade to a plush top, but I don't want something that will only compress and leave indentations.  

I've thought of getting a Cuddle Bed topper plus a PU or latex topper to add softness.   Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Recent Posts