My 1000th post
Jul 29, 2010 5:10 AM
Thought I'd just "throw away" my 1000th post just for the heck of it...

My thoughts on my 1000th post:

"I need to get a life!"

But no, really, I just need to get a mattress that works for me.

I started posting here about 8 or more years ago so that's only about 125 posts a year, though some periods I have posted more and some less.

My current set up is this, bottom to top:

Englander springs 12.5 gauge

1" HR foam medium firm

1" natural Talalay latex

3/4" mystery latex, probably Talalay maybe Talatech

And that's it. It still hurts my back after about 7 hours but that's the best I've had here at home for the past couple years. At one point I was only getting 4-5 hours a night so this is a big improvement. If I had $$, I'd buy some Sealy offset springs or some other type to replace the Englander ones which I think are too stiff for me. I'd still like to buy some super soft Talalay to try but can't do it now. I liked the bed my sister had when I visited her but she's too dang lazy to get the info off the label for me so I can call the co. and see what springs it has in it. I can't buy one like it because they only sell on the East coast/midwest.

This forum has been great for all the years I've posted here and I'll keep posting, it's just that I've been super busy with more pressing issues lately.

Re: My 1000th post
Reply #1 Jul 29, 2010 12:02 PM
And you have 4 silver stars too :p 

What's next? Do you start getting gold stars?

Reply #2 Jul 29, 2010 12:19 PM
Congratulations on #1000!   I guess you are the Lou Gehrig of mattress forums.

Wish we could get you a couple more 1" layers of latex or Sensus to experiment with...

Reply #3 Jul 31, 2010 2:53 AM
Yeah, whatsthebest-mattress, where's my silver lined latex Cloud mattress??

Okay, then how about a 1" 18ILD Talatech layer?

No? Just a silver star?

Guess that'll have to do then...

Reply #4 Jul 31, 2010 9:22 AM
Jimsocal, Thanks for staying here and contributing and congratulations on so many posts!
Reply #5 Jul 31, 2010 9:22 AM
WhatsTheBest-Mattress.com
Hehe, congrats Jim and thanks for your great contributions.
Reply #6 Aug 1, 2010 10:23 PM
Congrats,

It's amazing how the time flies. 

Reply #7 Aug 2, 2010 11:32 AM
Hey, Jim!

I'll have to post a lot more to catch up with you, LOL!  Sorry your back is still a bother, but 7 hours is not all that bad.  I just got a new puppy which has cut back on my sleep considerably, I miss it.

Our daughter has just moved out and took a bed with her.  Oh, boy, now I get to decide what to do about a new bed in the spare room!  She had a queen size mattress which was large for that small room, but I am considering getting a king so I can switch out with ours should I ever need to.  This time I am thinking of going offset coils, with the cotton batting etc from Better Bed and then a zip-open duvet top, flippable, with latex foam.  Still not sure exactly which latex to use, but I'll try what Bill has on the floor and talk to him about it.  I'm really tempted to make up some combo of zoning just for fun, so my shoulders have a bit of softness and my hips are supported without cutting off the circulation. 

I have an idea for you to try, and it should be cheap.  Look through the big S websites(and other manufacturers) for what is inside their mattresses, find the types that have the springs you'd like to try(you are only looking for a twin size, tho, which might be difficult), and check Craigs list, local ads, etc, for giveaway beds that have had the pu foam crap out and might be free or nearly so.  Then use those springs!

Kait

Recent Posts