Motion transfer with latex mattress
Sep 26, 2007 8:50 PM
I know that latex mattresses are SUPPOSED to dampen the motion of the other person in bed, but that is not the experience we are having. I had no idea how much my partner tossed and turned until we got this mattress. I can feel his every movement and it's not like he's a large person (155 lbs). It's almost like being in a water bed. We bought an Englander basic laytex mattress (according to the sales person it is about 35 ILD). It's 8 or 9 inches thick. No point in mentioning which model, as I know the game mattress stores play by making up their own names... Anyway, has anyone else had this problem? There seem to be a lot of latex fans on this forum. Could it be our (slat) bed? They have a 90 day "comfort exchange" so that we could trade it in for something else. It is otherwise a very comfortable set-up with a 2 inch memory foam topper. Thanks for any feedback.
Re: Motion transfer with latex mattress
Reply #1 Sep 27, 2007 9:23 AM
Foam Nerd
The tighter the left and right halves are mechanically coupled together, the more motion transfer you will feel.

A split foundation would result in less motion transfer.

Split cores would result in less motion transfer.
Reply #2 Sep 27, 2007 11:57 AM
Hey thanks haysdb, but this mattress is one single slab of latex on a wooden slat bed (no box spring). I thought about the Flobeds option, but it was way too much hassle. We live in a small apartment and had to get rid of the old mattress when we got the new one, and to have to be sending pieces back if they didn't work would mean we had nothing to sleep on.... Maybe we need to go with the pocketed coil idea.
Reply #3 Sep 27, 2007 12:22 PM
kimmcgov - Is there any flex in the slat foundation?  You can test to determine if the foundation is the source of the problem by putting your mattress directly on the floor.  I realize that this is not likely an easy test.  If you have not already you may want to check out the reviews on epinions.com for this mattress.  Thatmattressplace.com indicates that Englander latex mattresses range from 32% to 67% latex.  I'm not sure what the other components are but they may contribute to the poor reviews on epinions.
This message was modified Sep 27, 2007 by kbell
Reply #4 Sep 28, 2007 7:02 PM
Yes, trying the mattress on the floor is a good idea. It's probably the only way to eliminate whether it's the bed or not... The mattress we bought is 85% latex and 15% other foam - a little on the sides I think and also in the quilted top. I did see that the mattress from That Mattress Place had a lot less latex in them, which could explain some of the poor reviews. I don't quite see how this one could be inferior to other natural latex mattresses though.
Reply #5 Sep 29, 2007 4:53 AM
kimmcgov wrote:
I don't quite see how this one could be inferior to other natural latex mattresses though.

I wouldn't say inferior is the right word, but rather just different. A Flobed for example is just latex. Your mattrex is latex plus ... so the other components could be contributing to the motion transfer plus the fact that it's a single slab rather than split, as mentioned above.

We've got a Flobed w/ the split cores and at the moment 36ILD all natural on a slat platform bed. My wife moves around considerably in her sleep and I barely feel it at all, unlike our old S&F innerspring. 

Recent Posts