memory foam help please
Mar 3, 2012 12:09 PM
My husband and I have four wonderful children.   We both work full time and take care of our kids.  Our sleep is very important to us.   The past few months we have been very over tired and decided maybe our 10 year old mattress needed to be replaced.  Honestly the bed is horrendous and we haven't been sleeping well.  Our search began online with going to all different local furniture companies websites.  Then we spent a great deal of time at the furniture stores testing out all sorts of beds.  We weren't sure if we were going to go springs, memory foam, or latex after all the initial research. One of the sales people at a local furniture suggested we take a look online to research more as we were asking so many questions, I don't think he could answer.  In looking online my husband kept asking me about the Tempur-pedic and I just couldn't see spending that kind of money. 

After looking online and clicking on almost forty different websites we said, we have laid on everything out there.  We are tired of shopping and need to get a new mattress.  Over the last few days we have made probably over ten phone calls to different online companies that sell memory foam mattress.  I think we are really in-between the following ones in our last stage of trying to figure out which mattresses is right for us.  My husband is 5'  11" and weights 210 pounds and he sleeps on his side mostly.  I am 5' 2" and weight 140 pounds and mostly sleep on my back.

I have heard every salesman pitch and every ones idea about latex, gel memory foam, springs, ect.  I don't want to break the bank on something that might not be worth it.  I do want 100% American made if possible.   However, my husband and I decided that our best friends bought a mattress online and they love it.  So if it works for someone we know, maybe it can work for us too. 

Any and all help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated as we have made up our mind on memory foam.

http://www.lastingimpressionsfoam.com/products/King-Size%3A-12-Inch-Memory-Foam-Mattress.html

The lady I spoke with seemed knowledgeable and the price is great.  A little concerned that the price is really inexpensive.  Am I wrong for worrying about the cheapest one?   They guarantee 100% made in the USA! 

http://www.overnightmattress.com/itemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=CMX&eq=&MatrixType=1&size=KING

We spoke to them on speaker phone and love the woman we spoke to.  I am a little worried about how they seem to always have products on sale all the time and the prices never change when the sale changes.  She got a little nervous when we started talking about 100% made in the USA.  So not sure if they are.

http://www.driftawaymattress.com/product_p/mattress-king-chestnut.htm

Local company to where we live and where our friends bought their mattress from.  I spoke to the owner, he seemed knowledgeable and answered our questions.  Not sold completely on the website, but really like him over the phone.  He stated that his mattresses were made 100% in the USA. 

Thank you for opinions and advise in advance.

Re: memory foam help please
Reply #1 Mar 7, 2012 5:35 PM
After going to our friends house and laying down on the mattress they purchased from driftawaymattress.com we purchased today.  (At least I got to lay down on it yesterday.)   Very excited to get our bed and will give an update once we get it.  The owner claims it will ship tomorrow, so we should have it by Saturday or Monday.
Reply #2 Mar 7, 2012 7:23 PM
I always worry about price.  I've learned you get what you pay for.  What I worry about more is a lack of return policy.  I don't see any.  Good news is, it was pretty cheap if it doesn't work out.  Did you look into Costco.  It's also a cheap memory foam which can be easily returned.  

The problem with 'Made in America', is that a lot of the cheap memory foam companies import their memory foam; or they buy it from someone who imports it and re-sells it.  I belive this is what Serta icomfort does.  Same with Costco. They then assemble it here and 'voila' it is now made in America.  Made in America with chinese foam.  It is really difficult to find out where the foam actually comes from.  I don't expect the really nice guy who sells the beds to be forthright about this fact.  Thoughroughly examine the law label.  Sometimes that gives you a clue.  But manufacturers probably can and will go to great lengths to deceive.  You pay more for a 100% american product.  That's the way it is.

Good luck. 

Reply #3 Mar 8, 2012 5:05 PM
Thanks goodsleep for your insight.  Already recieved a tracking number from them.  The Fedex website says it will deliver on Saturday the 10th.  We will see how it all goes.  I know one thing, the mattress at my friends house seems to be very nice. 
Reply #4 Mar 10, 2012 2:50 PM
Our mattress just showed up a couple hours ago.  Our kids thought it was the coolest thing watching it expand.  Will post back once we figure out if we like it or not. 
Reply #5 Mar 14, 2012 12:15 AM

My favorite statement is " Ask the right question, Get The Right Answer! The history of Memory foam mattresses, as I heard it, was with NASA and the space program. I guess it didn't matter in space if the thing outguessed,weighed a Ton, or made you Sweat like a PIG!  But down here in the Atmosphere, Look out, stinky, Heavy, and Hot! 

Reply #6 Mar 14, 2012 10:25 AM
We had our mattress delivered on Saturday.  We have now slept on the bed for 4 nights and seem to like it so far.  I have noticed that my husband does not toss and turn anymore waking me up in the middle of the night.  I will say that it does have a little bit of an odor but last night when I went to bed I noticed it was gone.  I would like to sleep on it more before I pass complete judgment but I feel it is comfortable.  I will say that it seems to be decent quality compared to some of the other ones I laid down on in stores.  I will update more once I sleep on the bed a little longer.
Reply #7 Mar 20, 2012 3:19 PM
So I said I would update when I slept on the bed more that we purchased.  We have had the bed for a little over a week now.  All in all, I like it.  I think it's comfortable and I don't think my husband has slept better since we purchased it.  I do believe the foam is of decent to good quality.   I do not know anything about this, but it just seems to be the case. 

I also live local to where I purchased from and the owner emailed to see if the bed was satisfactory and if we had any questions.  I was very surprised someone would email me to see if I liked the bed.  The last thing I did notice is the actual foam is of a light blue color on the bottom.  It does show through the cover when the sheets are not on. 

Overall I would say I do really like the bed and that for us memory foam was the right choice.

Reply #8 Mar 21, 2012 10:49 PM
Go and lay on some mattresses at your local stores to make sure your husband spine is aligned from neck to hip and you feel comfortable on your back. You have to look for support that will make you feel weightlessness for you and your husband. Then you can purchase your mattress. Once you purchase it, walk on it to break it in and to help it off gas. Have your husband since he weights more.
Reply #9 Mar 23, 2012 10:00 AM
duane224, we purchased the bed already from a company called driftawaymattress.com.  I am actually enjoying the bed more and more.  I used to wake up every morning and my left arm would be asleep.  That doesn't happen at all any more.  I want to get more time in the bed to write a full review of it, but I think so far we have made a good choice overall.  Time will tell i guess.

Recent Posts