Mattress Topper for short money?
Oct 13, 2013 11:01 AM
I'm a stomach (mostly) and side sleeper.

I have a brand new Simmons Firm 700 coil count, 15.5 gauge mattress. hopefully it will soften up although I am only 130 lbs.

The thing is like sleeping on a cement slab. But at least I can build it up. I need the firmness for the stomach sleeping.

Looking for as low-cost as possible a topper solution so my lungs and ribcage don't hurt when stomach sleeping and so I can do some side sleeping. Want to soften it up somewhat.

i have a 1.5" memory foam topper on it with decent density but it's not enough. I am bottoming out somewhat right back onto the hardness of the new mattress. Also the chemical smell from the topper although aired out outdoors for a week and has off-gassed somewhat - is horrible for me (I have a chemical sensitivity) and I'm not crazy about the heat issue of it either.

My thought was to buy a gel topper (any ideas or recommendations?) Would this make the bed firmer though - or softer?

I could also try a better - but used - memory foam topper on Craigslist (say what you will about used stuff - I have few options here I believe!) and I could air it out as well. I do find that putting a towel iver the topper dimishes the smell somewhat.

This message was modified Oct 13, 2013 by lookingnow

Recent Posts