Mattress Surgery! Have Basic Questions.
Mar 15, 2015 3:13 PM
Hello everybody. I've been reading a bit on the Forum here about performing mattress surgery. I've got no choice and must try it. Can it be done with this (brand new, waaaaay too firm) bed I own?:

Two- sided mattress, from bottom - top:

2" x-firm talalay latex; pocket coil unit (fairly firm); gray thin thingamajiggy piece they put directly on springs; 2" x-firm talalay latex, organic cotton cover.

its a VERY plain mattress. It would've been perfect except the manufacturer made it with the wrong ILD of latex. It's like a rock. At 135lbs and 5'3" (and curvy), the latex pushback is killin me.

im planning to replace top layer of x-firm latex with a nice soft/medium talalay or dunlop (I've got both.)

Questions:

- The cover is very tight on this bed. Since I'm not taking away any height at all, will the cover close again? 

- Without a foam encasement, can the springs splay apart and not be supportive? (I believe none of their pocket coil beds are made with encasements and I think I remember seeing in the showroom that they're wired somehow around the edges - I realize that may determine my answer.)

- If I don't replace the x-firm latex under the coil unit, can I still get lots of pushback from it - straight through the coil unit and up into the top of the bed where I sleep - making my efforts futile? (I'd prefer not to have to do both sides of this mattress.)

I've got a list of sharp objects that can cut this sucker - and I may be back for more help! Also, I will post pictures.

for now I will keep reading about this. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

This message was modified Mar 15, 2015 by LadyGrace

Recent Posts