Mattress Shipping Prices ?
Feb 22, 2008 9:25 AM
I'm a stickler for these things when a vendor charges $$ for shipping. I ship alot so I have a pretty good enough on average what shipping should be.
However, I don't ship *freight trucking* that much

But for shipping a king mattress and true *boxspring*, the shipping price was $875 which seems like ALOT of money.
I've had cars shipped in enclosed trailers from CA back to the East Coast for the same price if not slightly more.

Granted, it would cover inside delivery and removal of the old mattress but is it just me, but is the shipping way too high?
I'm a stickler when over inflate shipping costs.
Re: Mattress Shipping Prices ?
Reply #1 Feb 24, 2008 6:00 AM
$875 to SHIP a mattress???? You'd have to want that mattress REALLY bad!

I ordered three very heavy pieces of furniture from N. Carolina and the cost to ship it to California was $500, and that included carrying it into the house up a flight of stairs. Sounds like someone is getting rich on the shipping alone. If I were you I'd find another vendor to buy a mattress from.

Reply #2 Feb 24, 2008 9:34 AM
I guess I'm not smoking @#$%^& when I thought $875 seemed liked ALOT of money for inside delivery.
I got requoted for just curbside dropoff + no removal of old mattress for $200 less which I still feel is high for a mattress set....
This may be a deal breaker and I"ll be back to the drawing board.
Reply #3 Feb 25, 2008 5:57 AM
I don't know where you live, but most local mattress stores deliver, set up AND remove your old mattress for free. Even online vendors who sell latex mattress kits either ship for free or for under $100. What's in this mattress that's so special it's worth $675 just to deliver to the CURB????  Plus, have you thought about what it's going to cost you if you don't like it and have to ship it back? That is, IF this vendor accepts returns. I think you're taking a big chance and wasting a lot of money.
Reply #4 Feb 25, 2008 8:12 AM
I hear ya cloud. I must have slept through all of NYC ;-)
Did not like the Temperpudics at all.
The only foam one I liked was made by S&F. It was a ~plus~ firmness model .

On the springs, I tried the Shifman's, Hasten, and the Klufts.
2 of the Klufts I tried I like and the Shifmans, I did not get a full long test on them.

The *other* one in this OP was a mattress made in San Fran....don't want to start a flame war on them.
And crazy as it sounds, I was thinking about buying it sight unseen due to favorable reviews across the board.
I do agree there should be a shipping fee of some sort and more than $100 as shipping aint' free and I can
understand transit from CA all the way back to East Coast, and then the handoff to the *local trucking* company
is freight costs incurred, but yes, even with their revised shipping quote, it seemed awfully expensive.

I basically asked to be requoted from a more competative shipping carrier.

I've tried to read this board in thorough....and while I may want the *perfect mattress*, in this big ole city of mine,
I've yet to find ~the~ mattress yet.

Recent Posts