Love our new Talalay latex mattress from The Foam Factory!!
May 15, 2011 11:40 AM
Well we needed to replace our 13 year old Simmons mattress because my lower back was killing me if I slept on my back and if I tried to sleep on my side my shoulder ond hips would be sore. My wife didn't have a problem with it though. She is 95 lbs. and I'm 230 lbs. She also told me she could sleep on anything so all I had to do was find a mattress that I could sleep on that eliminated my lower back pain and the shoulder and hip pain.

I investigated matresses and discovered latex. I spent many hours on the computer learning about latex. Eventually I had latex samples sent to us. We also checked out Tempurpedic and various other mattress options at Denver Mattress co. Many of the latex mattress companys products were very expensive but I decided that a pain free good nights sleep was worth just about any amount of money.

Then one day I read a thread on this site about a person getting there Talalay Latex Mattress from The Foam Factory. Come to find out they are located about 2 hours from our house so I contacted them and we went down there to check their talalay mattresses out. They had all of there latex and memory foam matresses there to lay on including differend thicknesses and firmnesses. I arranged the combination that I liked and had my wife lay in the mattress to see if she liked it and she did! We went home to think about it and in the next couple days ordered the mattress and this is what we ordered:

6" firm Talalay foundation. $581.99

2" medium Talalay topper. $189.99

3" soft Talalay topper.       $262.99

Terry Cloth 10" cover.       $20.00

Target RE sheets.             $24.99

Gas to get to The Foam Factory and back.  $32.00

EZ-Sleep Foundation     $215.00

Total=                             $1,326.96

10" Terry Cloth Cover (soft very thin and stretchy)  which all of the 11" of Talalay latex fits into perfectly. You have to call them to see if they have any of the 10" size in stock.

We have them stacked in this order: 6" on bottom then the 2" medium topper and then the 3" soft topper. Before we bought I tried the medium topper on top of the soft topper to see if it felt firmer and it did so I new I could switch them around if I so desired if it was to soft.

They came in three cardboard boxes and were vacuum packed.

We also ordered this foundation first: http://www.bedinabox.com/product/52.html. We already had a frame,head and footboard and this foundation fits perfectly on the frame. When we put this foundation together I noticed the wooden slats had about a 3" gap between them I decided I wanted the gap to be closer to 2 " so I went to Home Depot and bought two or three  1" X 4" X 8' pine boards and made up some more slats to close the gap to 2 ".

We are in heaven my friends. My back pain is gone. I can sleep on my side without the hip and shoulder pain or on my back with no lower back pain.

I should mention that it is my feeling and experience that anything between me and the Talalay latex mattress will interfere with the conforming and supporting qualities of the latex unless it is a stretchy and very thin material. That is why we only have the thin Terry Cloth cover which stretches plus we found some 100% cotton sheets at Target that are stretchy also. They are called RE (Room Essentials) they cost about $24.99 for the queen size.

I am taking the time and effort to post our latex mattress buying experience to try and help other potential buyers. We were apprehensive about ordering on line but we were lucky to have The Foam Factory close by to try the latex out. Plus there prices are less than all the other latex mattresses that I found. They get ther Talalay from Europe and because of that the Talalay mattresses do not have a seam down the middle.

This message was modified May 15, 2011 by Freedom1955
Re: Love our new Talalay latex matress from The Foam Factory!!
Reply #1 May 15, 2011 12:53 PM
Freedom, it sounds like you have created a bed perfect for you and your wife.  The key is setting up the latex layers to fit your own individual needs since all of us are so different.  Do you know what the ILD's are for each latex core since each company's ILD's seem to differ for what they consider Firm, soft, etc.

I no longer use a mattress pad over my FloBed latex cover and only use a fitted sheet that I change very often since it just feels better this way. 

What type of pillows are you using?  Pillows can really change the experience of sleeping I have learned.  All my life I slept on a Talalay Latex Pillow (and only since the year 2007 have slept on a Talalay Latex bed) due to my allergies but when my pillow fell part (I had it since I was a baby and I carried it everywhere including business trips), I was able to replace it with Talalay Latex pillows at Fortunoff. Then about 10 years later on, I noticed the pillows did not feel the same so wne to Fortunoff and they no longer sold Talalay latex pillws so I tried Polyester, Feather, memory foam and other type of pillows without success. I even tried manmade latex pillows without the Talalay processing which seemed to ben too firm for me.  Finally I found my pillows on Overstock.com. I had to buy 6 Talalay Latex Pillows to get 2 that are perfect for me in height and softness. The others are spare pillows for guests and for shams.

I am happy for you both in finding the right set up and being so lucky to live so close to the store to try out what you were to buy before ordering the set-up you now have.  You are also blessed to be handy since I am not and I would have not been able to adjust the bed slats myself. 

How long have you been sleeping on your bed?  Please keep us updated.

Re: Love our new Talalay latex matress from The Foam Factory!!
Reply #2 May 15, 2011 1:46 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:

Freedom, it sounds like you have created a bed perfect for you and your wife.  The key is setting up the latex layers to fit your own individual needs since all of us are so different.  Do you know what the ILD's are for each latex core since each company's ILD's seem to differ for what they consider Firm, soft, etc.

I no longer use a mattress pad over my FloBed latex cover and only use a fitted sheet that I change very often since it just feels better this way. 

What type of pillows are you using?  Pillows can really change the experience of sleeping I have learned.  All my life I slept on a Talalay Latex Pillow (and only since the year 2007 have slept on a Talalay Latex bed) due to my allergies but when my pillow fell part (I had it since I was a baby and I carried it everywhere including business trips), I was able to replace it with Talalay Latex pillows at Fortunoff. Then about 10 years later on, I noticed the pillows did not feel the same so wne to Fortunoff and they no longer sold Talalay latex pillws so I tried Polyester, Feather, memory foam and other type of pillows without success. I even tried manmade latex pillows without the Talalay processing which seemed to ben too firm for me.  Finally I found my pillows on Overstock.com. I had to buy 6 Talalay Latex Pillows to get 2 that are perfect for me in height and softness. The others are spare pillows for guests and for shams.

I am happy for you both in finding the right set up and being so lucky to live so close to the store to try out what you were to buy before ordering the set-up you now have.  You are also blessed to be handy since I am not and I would have not been able to adjust the bed slats myself. 

How long have you been sleeping on your bed?  Please keep us updated.

Hi Lynn,

The ILD's are as follows:  6" mattress Firm 36 IDL with a density of 5.6 LB. Latex toppers are medium 32 IDL and soft 20 IDL same density 5.6 lb. All talalay latex.

Were still using down pillows but sometimes I wake up with a sore neck and I know it's from the pillows or possibly my old age! I am going to check out the pillows at Overstock.com,thanks for the lead.

We've had the bed since 4/25/11. All of my back and pressure point pain was GONE immediately since sleeping on this mattress. My back must be sensitive though because when we first got the mattress I just used the terry cloth stretchy cover and the stretchy fitted RE sheets from Target and no pain. I then tried putting a 1/2" thick padded mattress cover over those and the next day my back was sore. The latex will not conform and support me with the extra padding on it. I also got worried about moisture getting on the latex and I investigated and found a thin somewhat stretchy breathable waterproof terry cloth mattress protector (Premium Protect a Bed). I put that on over the Foam Factory terry cloth cover and then on top of that the RE fitted sheet. This is the setup I have now and I do not have any back or pressure point pain but the mattress is it is not quite as supple with the Protect a bed cover on. Also we only had one set of the RE sheets and we tried a regular fitted sheet (one that does not stretch) and my back was a little sore the next morming. So we don't use unstretchy sheets and ideally I would like to not use the Protect a Bed mattress protector.

This message was modified May 15, 2011 by Freedom1955
Re: Love our new Talalay latex mattress from The Foam Factory!!
Reply #3 May 15, 2011 3:07 PM
Freedome1955, your 36 ILD Firmness is what FloBeds,com would called Extra Firm and SleepEZ would call Firm.  The 32 ILD would be called Firm on the FloBeds.com site if I remember.

It is amazing how pressure points is relieved and a good night's sleeps happens when a bed has layers of latex set up just the way your body prefers it!  That is how I feel and I wish I had bought a Talalay Latex bed many more years ago than I did. I used to sleep on beds way too firm with no cushion on top and not toppers.  I am finding out that I prefer a little bit of cushion from a topper to relieve pressure points and prevent the body from moving around too much at night to get off a pressure point.

Good luck on finding the right pillow for yourself and your wife.

Reply #4 May 15, 2011 4:44 PM
I'm very happy to hear that you are happy with your purchase from foam factory; I'm awaiting my base (HQ foam) and talalay 2" topper from there as well. I may need to get a 2" medium topper as my medium firm foam is sagging. We'll see.
Reply #5 May 16, 2011 9:37 AM
I bought a Sleep Options 11" Latex bed, supposedly plush, but it's firm. My lower back has been killing me, but my husband finds it comfortable. I won't deny the bed is comfy, if your a back sleeper. Except I sleep on both sides and my back. Hence major lower back pain from my hip being jutted upwards.

I just ordered a twin 3" soft topper from Foam Factory this morning. I only got the twin to cover my side of the bed. Not too happy that my bed is going to look awkward, but it's cheaper than paying the $400 plus the difference in a better latex mattress, all to make up a comfort exchange. I hope I love how it feels! 

Surprisingly, Foam Factory (which also seems to be Foam By Mail) has the cheapest prices for toppers, layers and beds. 

Reply #6 May 16, 2011 3:46 PM
Serehya, Sorry about your discomfort. That is why I believe in split latex cores so each partner can set up the latex bed to meet their individual needs.
Reply #7 May 16, 2011 5:19 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:

Serehya, Sorry about your discomfort. That is why I believe in split latex cores so each partner can set up the latex bed to meet their individual needs.

Makes a lot of sense.  @serehya: what are the ild's of your different layers?

Reply #8 May 16, 2011 7:45 PM
need2sleep636 wrote:

Makes a lot of sense.  @serehya: what are the ild's of your different layers?

These are the specs per the Sleepys website;

• Ribbon Knit All Around
  • Quilted top with Zipper Cover
  • 1" Quilting Foam
  • 3" 4lb. 20 ILD Dunlop Latex
  • 2" 2lb 15ILD Comfort Foam
  • 5" 2lb.  30ILD Base Foam

That 20 ILD Dunlop layer is very firm. I know dunlop settles when it's being made, and the bottom becomes firmer than the top. I'm wondering if the dunlop was put in upside down!?The previous Sleep Options latex I slept on for 2 nights, before the mattress crew returned and snagged/ripped it when setting up the proper box springs, was actually a much softer mattress than the replacement mattress. 

I wish I could have bought a full latex mattress. But, we were locked in with Sleepy's. We had bought a Sleep to Live set a year prior. After 3 mattress replacements in less than 12 months, they finally granted a full refund, but we could only use it in the store. I loved the Pure Latex Bliss, except my husband wasn't willing to give up another $1300. To be honest, I don't blame him. I think/hope this mattress is going to last and not sag. I just need to get my side padded to suite my needs, since the hubby is already nice and comfy! 

Reply #9 Jun 17, 2011 8:19 PM
Freedom,

Does the foundation you chose come pre-upholstered or does it have a drawstring-type cover? What quality is the wood framework?

Reply #10 Jun 22, 2011 12:01 AM
proof1st wrote:

Freedom,

Does the foundation you chose come pre-upholstered or does it have a drawstring-type cover? What quality is the wood framework?

It comes pre-upholstered. Hi quality.

Make sure you ask them for the EZ-Sleep foundation with the nicer cover.

Recent Posts