Leggett and Platt adjustable with latex mattresses
Aug 24, 2011 8:32 PM
Hi,

Has anyone purchased and used a Leggett and Platt (or other vendor -- e.g. Ergonomic) adjustable with a latex mattress? If so, what is your mattress configuration? Which model adjustable? Any advice? How solid is the base they provide?

I'm going to purchase a latex mattress -- probably 6" of natural dunlop, with another 2-3" of natural talalay. That in combination with our weight will bring the total to ~450 lbs. That's at the limit for a majority of the P&L models. I'm not interested in all the bells and whistles that their higher end models offer, but I'll probably end up purchasing the S-cape or Prodigy just for the heavier duty engines (600 lb limit).

Thanks,
al

Re: Leggett and Platt adjustable with latex mattresses
Reply #1 Aug 25, 2011 10:53 AM
I'm actually looking at bed bases as well.  Keep in mind the standard for bed bases in Europe is the 'euro slat' systems which are the convex slats on suspension.  They also sell them in electrically adjustable versions.  I thought I heard latex mattresses are much more common in Europe too.  Not sure.

What I'm going to do to ease in the water is this -

* buy a low cost $80 Sultan Laxeby from Ikea.  Use it straight onto my metal bed frame just for trial period (will add some support at foot of mattress).

* if it goes well, I can adapt the Laxeby onto a wood foundation I have with some modifications.

* if it goes well over time, I would be willing to spend $400 for a high end euro slat system (Flobeds) or over $1k for an electric adjustable euro slat system

---

what I definitely want to do is get this latex mattress off this Serta semi-flex grid foundation (IOW, all 'S' brand foundation with L&G innards).  They are not suitable for latex mattress which are very soft underneath unlike much harder conventional foam mattresses.

This message was modified Aug 25, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #2 Aug 26, 2011 6:46 PM
Hi.

I have a Flobeds latex mattrex with a Leggett and Platt Prodigy Base in a split king config.

I chose the Prodigy base based on the motor as well.  The snore feature and wifi feature are gimicky.  I use the vibrating alarm every day.  It's kind of awesome! :)

The base is very firm and well built.  

Do you have any specific questions?

Reply #3 Aug 26, 2011 6:56 PM
Haven't purchased - but have been wishing for the adjustable with Latex that is sold by Costco.  They have Spring Air and Sleep Science choices. 

FWIW.

This message was modified Aug 30, 2011 by BedSaga
Reply #4 Sep 2, 2011 10:19 PM
Thanks for the replies.

@Groo21: My main concern was with the base. I wanted to ensure it was solid enough to support a thick latex mattress. Your response covered that.

For those who have purchased an L&P adjustable, any recommendations on where to purchase them? Can one expect better prices during a specifc time of the year?

Thanks,

al

Reply #5 Sep 2, 2011 11:13 PM
I used a L & P with an extremely heavy latex mattress.  It powers it up with no problem.  I have the scape lifestyles model.  Don't get the cheap model.  I liked the latex on the adjustable.  I love my tempurpedic even better on the adjustable.  These bases will work fine for heavy mattresses.
Reply #6 Sep 15, 2011 7:33 PM
Due to L&P's terrible customer service, I am leaning towards purchasing an ErgoMotion. Has anyone purchased an EM 400? Opinions?

Thanks,

al

Reply #7 Sep 15, 2011 8:17 PM
I had my all latex mattress on a box spring foundation.  It has a resilient, bouncy feel to it.  A week ago I ordered up an adjustable base foundation which has a solid top except for the gaps where the legs and head portion go up ....

totally changed the feel of the latex mattress in a bad way.  The bouncy, lively feel went away, turned to a much more dead feel.  Being that latex has vertical pincore holes, you put that on a solid base and from what I surmise, it just chokes the mattresses ability to move air.  It still had most of the cush, don't get me wrong, but the feel went south for me.

This message was modified Sep 15, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #8 Oct 12, 2011 11:02 PM
Just purchased the Ergomotion 400 in a split king configuration. The base is very solid and heavy. The mattresses are latex twin XL's from SleepEZ - Select Sleep 10000 in natural dunlop - soft over medium over firm. Love it! Purchased the Ergo from Ortho because they were local, could deliver and setup next day, and beat the best online price I found. Did test drive the L&P Prodigy at Sit & Sleep and it is very nice too...more bells and whistles than the Ergomotion - longer extended warranty, preset favorite positions, alarm, and body wave massage.
Reply #9 Oct 13, 2011 6:21 AM
I have Leggett and Platt S-cape (with dc motor) split king with pure latex bliss Nutrition model mattress(11" talalay latex) for 1 1/2 week. It's working out great.

With split king, each twin XL,can support 450LB, so the total weight will be 900 lb

Leggett and Platt makes their S-cape with either AC motor or DC motor, DC motor can lift up to 450 lb, AC motor can lift up to 600 lb. But AC motor is much noisier!, Sleepy's used to carry AC motor S-cape, but switched to DC motor this spring.  S-cape is called Living Comfort at sleepys.

Haven't had the need to use Leggett and Platt customer service yet since I purchased the bed, but L&P was very helpful before my purchase. I had to call L&P directly when I was trying to sort out  which type of motor sleepys s-cape use, L&Pcustomer service gave me the above info.  (Sleepys sales people and the people answer their help line were no help, they don't know what they are selling).

Later on, sleepys customer service people were able to check and told me the S-cape in all Sleepys PA stores are still AC motor. The last time I checked( a few  weeks ago), it's still the case. You maybe able to test drive ac motor bed at your local sleepys if they haven't changed them.

The massage function doesn't do much for me or my husband, it's just a vibration, but we know this before the purchase. Even with wall hugger feature,I am still away from my night stand when I raise the head portion of the bed, but that may have something to do with the 11" thick mattress.

So far, the S-cape and 11" latex mattress works great. We couldn't be happier!

Reply #10 Oct 17, 2011 11:31 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up purchasing a split queen L&P Pro-motion. The split queen ergomotion was too wide for my existing frame. Plus, L&P customer service redeemed themselves. I am satisfied with my decision.

Recent Posts