Latex topper for spring mattress?
Mar 4, 2008 4:28 PM
As I am going back to a spring mattress, how will it be if I just use some normal (aka cheaper) latex rather than talay which is like $400 for 3" in Ca King sizing?

I thought I read foam by mail latex was pretty good?
Re: Latex topper for spring mattress?
Reply #1 Mar 5, 2008 5:40 AM
You might actually like it better. Dunlop feels more stable and supportive even when it's soft. I also think it supports your body more evenly.
Reply #2 Mar 7, 2008 12:29 AM
novahelp wrote:
As I am going back to a spring mattress, how will it be if I just use some normal (aka cheaper) latex rather than talay which is like $400 for 3" in Ca King sizing?

I thought I read foam by mail latex was pretty good?

Not sure what you mean by "normal" latex.

There are 3 types that I know of and the other 2 are Dunlop and "jungle" latex.

I don't have great experience with either of these but from what experience I have had, I liked both better than Talalay.

I actually liked the "jungle" latex best of all, but admittedly I never slept on it, only layed on it for a few minutes.

Actually I'd like to find a cheap source of some decent "jungle" latex but everyone seems to be selling Talalay or Dunlop these days.

Reply #3 Mar 7, 2008 5:36 AM
jimsocal wrote:
Not sure what you mean by "normal" latex.

There are 3 types that I know of and the other 2 are Dunlop and "jungle" latex.

I don't have great experience with either of these but from what experience I have had, I liked both better than Talalay.

I actually liked the "jungle" latex best of all, but admittedly I never slept on it, only layed on it for a few minutes.

Actually I'd like to find a cheap source of some decent "jungle" latex but everyone seems to be selling Talalay or Dunlop these days.

Jim, I was under the impression there were only two kinds of latex, Talalay and Dunlop, and that jungle latex was natural latex made by the Dunlop process that was manufactured in Sri Lanka or other Asian countries.

Anyone else have a take on this?

Reply #4 Mar 7, 2008 6:59 AM
Dunlop the older, simpler, cheaper manufacturing process which allows slabs to be manufactured near source (i.e., slang "jungle"), as opposed to the quality controlled, larger manufacturing facility Dunlop made in UK, US, etc.. The jungle dunlop probably all natural, while that made elsewhere not necessarily.
This message was modified Mar 7, 2008 by mccldwll
Reply #5 Mar 7, 2008 8:39 PM
Thanks Mccldwll. You are a wealth of information so I always enjoy reading your posts.
Reply #6 Apr 8, 2008 11:50 AM
It's been a long time for me, but I had a mattress need, so came back here...so, I found this thread and others as I need a new topper for my daughter.  She sleeps on a spring bed, and about a year or two ago I got her the inexpensive 1" Sealy latex topper from Overstock.  She's now complaining again that her mattress is too hard.  After some research here, I went ahead and ordered a 2" 24-ILD talalay latex topper from Sleep Like a Bear (Evelyn was very nice).  I hope this does the trick. I assume this will be a superior product, and it'll also be twice the depth...and I think the right ILD for a kid.  We'll see if I chose right.  Thanks forum members for steering me in the right direction.
Reply #7 Apr 9, 2008 8:35 AM
walkman wrote:
It's been a long time for me, but I had a mattress need, so came back here...so, I found this thread and others as I need a new topper for my daughter.  She sleeps on a spring bed, and about a year or two ago I got her the inexpensive 1" Sealy latex topper from Overstock.  She's now complaining again that her mattress is too hard.  After some research here, I went ahead and ordered a 2" 24-ILD talalay latex topper from Sleep Like a Bear (Evelyn was very nice).  I hope this does the trick. I assume this will be a superior product, and it'll also be twice the depth...and I think the right ILD for a kid.  We'll see if I chose right.  Thanks forum members for steering me in the right direction.

Good luck! I love my latex on a spring bed. So happy!
Reply #8 Apr 10, 2008 9:38 PM
Novahelp, I am glad you are still happy.  Each of us has different needs and it is great to have this site to learn from one another.

Recent Posts