Latex Questions/Troubles
Jan 8, 2008 3:46 AM
I bought a latex foam mattress that was amazing in the store. After I got it home, it started to "break in", in the terms of the Bed Store Owner. It got softer in spots and felt lumpy and uneven. I had not been told the bed would not feel like it did in the store - I thought that was the point of a latex mattress!!! Needless to say, I am disappointed and not sure I can trust the store I bought it from. Did they deliver me a cheaper bed than I had bought thinking I might not notice? Or is the latex they used possibly inferior/defective? Or did they just not tell me the whole story when I bought it and the latex mattress does indeed break in and, according to the store, softens about 25% when being broken in? I spent way more money than I had originally intended, and all I want is the mattress I thought I was buying!! Any thoughts?
Re: Latex Questions/Troubles
Reply #14 Jan 11, 2008 2:41 PM
"As for the rest of your rant - I think people distinguish latex manufactured from stuff that comes from trees as opposed to stuff made from petroleum. Sure, nothing is 100% anything but 97% is a lot different than 20% or 40% from the plant source. Anyone who can read can figure that out. And, of course all latex is man made in the sense that you can't go into a forest and chop down raw slabs of latex to sleep on. People with chemical senitivities might want to go as far from something like memory foam as possible. "100% Natural Latex" might be a marketing term and not absolutely, literally accurate but the term does distinguish it from latex that is blended with petroleum products in a specific ratio and products that have a lot of cheap fillers that affect the quality and texture of the latex. Some sources say that good quality latex has to have a least a little natural latex. Sealy created a latex that contains no natural latex and claims it is superior. It is up to consumer to decide what they want to buy. Different things are important to different people.
Lots of things like maple syrup are certainly more "natural" and taste better than varieties of syrup that have a lot more additives, etc. Of course, all syrup has been processed, bottled, distributed, etc. You can't go in your backyard and tap a maple tree and pour it over your pancakes. But the "natural 100% maple syrup" could be considered more natural relative to other syrup type products that only have a little actual maple syrup or synthetic flavoring. You just have to decide whether or not you care about something being natural. It might be more important to some people and not to others.
Of course, there is no such thing as organic latex. That is a technical and legal definition for some products. Some companies do play fast and loose with the terminology but it isn't rocket science to read between the lines and decide what is important to you.
So latex may not be a "natural" end product, very narrowly and literally speaking but some latex comes from a more natural source. There are lots and lots of reasons to prefer a product with a higher percentage from a plant source over a mostly petroleum product."

There are also reasons not to go with a more "natural" product. While 100% synthetic probably will be an inferior product despite what Sealy says, the last thing I would ever want is an all natural "jungle made" dunlop which has very little quality control (not to mention oders absorbed in shipping). And there are definite advantages to blended Talatech over the 100% Natural Talatech (a product which isn't as durable and mainly exists for the California "all natural" market). Personally, unless you prefer the feel of dunlop, and know/trust its manufacturer, it's very hard to beat blended Talatech.
Reply #15 Jan 11, 2008 2:46 PM
"There is no zipper - the top is sewn on... the tag says it is a 100% latex core. Feeling the top/bottom/sides of the mattress, I'd say there are definitely not springs/coils in there. I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point (really, what are my options?) and see how the bed settles in. They definitely know how to make a bed - the floor model is amazing. I think I will go back to them to renegotiate price, since the bed I have is not the bed/experience I thought I was buying. Or keep having them adjust it until I'm satisfied...
I will address the whole issue of the bed 'breaking in' and softening 25% with Latex International and report back... that's the one thing that still bothers me alot... why would the store say that when everyone here is in agreement that should not happen in a latex bed???"

Do not keep the bed. Do not renegotiate the price. It's obviously junk and they are crooks. JMO

If there's any problem, go back when its quite crowded and make it clear in a not very quiet voice that you are extremely unhappy with what you've discovered, and you want your money back.
Reply #16 Jan 11, 2008 6:37 PM
Hi everybody - thanks for your responses - I owe you a long post, coming when I have a minute to write it... stay tuned!
Reply #17 Jan 12, 2008 1:01 PM
I do prefer the Dunlop and I also agree the blended Talatech is a superior product. The "all natural" talalay seems too fragile. My concern about the Talatech is that it seems like a lot of people here had problems getting the talalay to feel firm enough and that the Talatech mattresses we tried around here felt too :jiggly" (for lack of a better word). My husband's back tightened up on the talalay beds he tried here so we took a chance on Dunlop. So far we are very happy with the Dunlop mattress we purchased. It is the right firmness without "pushing back" like the talalay we tried.

My parents have had a Dunlop mattress from a small town in Wisconsin since 1973. Jungle Dunlop has been used by a broader market than California for a long time.
This message was modified Jan 12, 2008 by mattressmom
Reply #18 Jan 13, 2008 6:01 AM
I'm with Mattressmom on the subject of Dunlop vrs Talalay. I slept on blended Dunlop for 20 years until the mattress started to dry up and disintegrate. At that time latex was impossible to find here in California and I bought a conventional innerspring mattress, but I really missed my old latex mattress. When it came time to replace the innerspring mattress I was thrilled at the prospect of once again sleeping on latex. Unfortunately Talalay just didn't live up to my expectations--or my memories. 

I experienced the same tensing of the back Mattressmom's husband did. Either it was too soft to be supportive or too firm and pushy to be comfortable but never just right. And yes, it was jiggly! Like sleeping on jello. With Talalay -- if you can sleep on it at all -- you really have to build up the mattress from a firmer support layer to a softer comfort layer, and even then it's tricky getting it just right. Dulop has a more solid feel. It's denser and more supportive at softer ILD's so that it's actually possible to find comfort and support in a single core. And no jiggling or sinking into the mattress at the hips.

My only concern in getting a Dunlop mattress today is the jungle factor. Blended latex  is a more consistent and stable product whether Talalay or Dunlop, but I don't know if it's even possible to find blended Dunlop latex any longer.

This message was modified Jan 13, 2008 by cloud9
Reply #19 Jan 13, 2008 10:43 AM
cloud9 wrote:
I don't know if it's even possible to find blended Dunlop latex any longer.

Check out Latexco

I don't know which products they are manufacturing in the US, nor do I know which blends they are importing to the US.

Reply #20 Jan 13, 2008 11:45 AM
It looks like Latex International makes some Dunlop. There is a zoned Dunlop core made of "Unilatex" at the bottom of this page. Looks interesting but I have no idea where you'd buy it. Or is this Sapsa - the all synthetic latex? I'm so confused....

http://www.latexfoam.com/mattress/mattress_component.htm

From LI's FAQ

"Why do you sell Unilatex™, which is manufactured by Sapsa?
In 1997, Latex International entered into an agreement with Sapsa Bedding to be the exclusive distributor of continuous process (Unilatex™) latex cores in North America. This ensured a comprehensive latex product portfolio.

Today, Latex International remains the only Talalay latex foam manufacturer in the Americas. Sapsa’s Unilatex™, made to our specifications and high standards, is the highest quality, most consistent Dunlop process product in the world. The product is a firmer, denser latex and is ideally used as a base core. We recommend 2 to 4” of LI’s Talatech latex on top of the Sapsa material to optimize comfort, support, and pressure relief."
This message was modified Jan 13, 2008 by mattressmom
Reply #21 Jan 13, 2008 1:07 PM
FoamSource.com carries a 3 zoned 2 inch topper that is Dunlop latex. I think all of their latex comes from Latex International. I'm wondering if this would be a good top layer for a firm innerspring mattress even though I read that Dunlop makes for a better core or base underneath Talalay. Any thoughts on that?
Reply #22 Jan 14, 2008 8:54 AM
mattressmom wrote:
My parents have had a Dunlop mattress from a small town in Wisconsin since 1973. Jungle Dunlop has been used by a broader market than California for a long time.

Reread my post. "Jungle latex" refers to dunlop made in Asia with very little quality control, not to dunlop in general, and especially not to that manufactured by major players. The 100% natural for the California market refers only to Latex International's Talatech. It used to be very difficult to find outside California, even after LI introduced it, since that was the intended market. It is not a better product than the blended Talatech, but many wanted a mattress which was "more natural" so LI offered it.
Reply #23 Jan 20, 2008 6:37 AM
kimmcgov wrote:
FoamSource.com carries a 3 zoned 2 inch topper that is Dunlop latex. I think all of their latex comes from Latex International. I'm wondering if this would be a good top layer for a firm innerspring mattress even though I read that Dunlop makes for a better core or base underneath Talalay. Any thoughts on that?

I slept on what I would describe as a "medium" Dunlop latex core. It was soft and supportive at the same time. I personally would not want to add a Talalay layer to a similar Dunlop core because I don't like the jiggly character of Talalay latex or the way you tend to sink into Talalay at the hips. The Dunlop was super comfy as is.

Recent Posts