Latex Pillows
Apr 20, 2010 10:09 PM
I sleep either on my side or my stomach. When I sleep on my stomach, I hug my pillow, so I'd like one that will compress when I hug it, but not be completely flat. On the other hand, I can't stand really "fat" pillows that don't compress much. I am looking at the Flobeds medium latex pillows. I have no experience with latex pillows, so I don't know what to expect. I did get a memory foam pillow one time and I couldn't stand it. Too heavy and it didn't compress enough. Those of you that use latex pillows, can you give me some idea of what it is like? Thank you!
Re: Latex Pillows
Reply #1 Apr 20, 2010 11:24 PM
I have always slept on a latex pillow my whole life except for a period of 1.5 years when I could not find a latex pillow replacement in my area so I tried so many other pillows. I could not sleep on a memory foam pillow and I could not sleep on a dunlap latex pillow. I also tried a 100% manmade latex pillow and it was too hard. 

I feel the latex pillow will give you the cushion you need and will push in but not go flat.  My tall large friend folds my latex pillow in half so he is not allowed to use my latex pillows anymore.  But they have not broken even with that type of abuse.

Reply #2 Apr 20, 2010 11:53 PM
I have  the natural Talalay pillow from JC Penney. It's nice and squishy and great for hugging. I have the king size and if you position it just right, you can hug it and use it for your head. I notice that the king seems softer in the middle than the standard size did.

Penney's has them on sale right now.

Reply #3 Apr 21, 2010 9:49 AM
Thanks! I am going to JCP today to check them out. 
Reply #4 Apr 21, 2010 10:53 AM
I think the natural Talalay Pillow from JCPenney is the pillows that I have from Overstock. I bought 6 to find 2 the right size for me and use the others as Shams and guest pillows.  I know you will love a Latex Pillow.  Dave at FloBeds  sent me a Queen Size Latex pillow but it was too thick for me since I am petite.
Reply #5 Apr 21, 2010 11:01 AM
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Premium-Natural-Latex-Foam-Pillow/83870/product.html

The above link has the pillow that I bought from Overstock. I did not like the 100% cotton cover that is only 200 thread count so I bought covers that were 400 thread count online. I will have to find the name of the place.  I always put a pillow case on it and wash the pillow case often and once in awhile wash the cotton cover.  $29.95 is a great price but if JCPenney has this same pillow for slightly more, at least you can try them out in the store laying on top of the plastic wrap to figure out which one has the height that you want.

I better get back to work. I am burned out and wish I could take the day off since I have been working 7 days in a row and the two days that I took off after my busy season were for doing chores and the little relaxing I did was not enough. I have other deadlines I must get back to but since I am on the computer all day, it is easy to log on to see if I an be of help and to escape the stress of my job.

Reply #6 Apr 21, 2010 11:50 AM
Ive used a Latex pillow from Overstock for the last 4 years and I love it. I was at JC Penny on Friday and they had a buy one get one for 88 cents pillow sale and I picked up 2 of the King size latex pillows they had (same as linked above) for $80.87 which was a pretty good deal. They feel very similar to the one queen I got from overstock but their cover seems nicer.
Reply #7 Apr 21, 2010 12:07 PM
The cover on my JCP pillow is a 75% cotton/25% poly blend which has like a plush terrycloth-ish feel. It's nice.
Reply #8 Apr 21, 2010 1:12 PM
The cover is worth spending a little more money for so if the cover is nicer and the pillows are very similar, I would go for the JCPenney pillow.  I found that even with the pillow case over the cover that came with the overstock pillow, I could feel that the cover was not soft enough. I love my 400 count Pima Covers that are so soft and allow me the total feel of the latex inside and still feel that way with a pillow case over them. I am sure I would have been happy enough with the JCPenney cover that I would not have had to go out to buy a new zippered cover for the latex pillow I got from Overstock.
Reply #9 Apr 21, 2010 2:56 PM
cynicaljones wrote:

I have  the natural Talalay pillow from JC Penney. It's nice and squishy and great for hugging. I have the king size and if you position it just right, you can hug it and use it for your head. I notice that the king seems softer in the middle than the standard size did.

Penney's has them on sale right now.

Do you think these are really natural and not blended latex?  I have several of these I do love them.  I wish I could get a mattress topper exactly like them.  I wish they gave details of the ILD and if it is all natural.  I love them. 

Reply #10 Apr 21, 2010 7:41 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Do you think these are really natural and not blended latex?  I have several of these I do love them.  I wish I could get a mattress topper exactly like them.  I wish they gave details of the ILD and if it is all natural.  I love them. 

I really couldn't say, Leo. The tags on the pillow read "100% Latex Foam Rubber" and "Talalay Latex Foam" while the bag the pillow came in reads "made from the latex of the tropical rubber tree" and "traditional latex" . Finally, the JCP price tag label reads "King Natural Bed Pillow". So, hard to say without knowing by sight and feel all the differences between all the latex available.  

This latex seems very airy, with bubbles of varying size. Looking into a small tear in mine, it looks very "webby".                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Recent Posts