Latex mattresses sleeping too hot..... or whatever!
Feb 7, 2010 3:31 PM
I will try to keep this short, as I have not finished my experimentation.

I have been experimenting with mattress topper's. I have a FloBeds all natural latex mattress. It sleeps wonderfully for me. I originally put on as a topper, or cover if you prefer, my old left over from my waterbed days very thin cotton protective cover. I had no problems with it sleeping hot. But I decided since it was wearing out to try out a new thicker all cotton cover. I made the mistake of not washing this new cotton cover and then stretching it too tightly over the mattress. This was uncomfortable. It firmed up the sleeping experience to a much greater degree than I thought possible.

So I decided to try sleeping right on top of the mattress with only a sheet between me and the mattress cover. This felt great at first as it was a softer experience. Then one night when it was quite cold I turned up the heat on our furnace. I normally sleep in a bedroom that is 69 to 71°F. This night the temperature got up to 74°. I woke up in the middle of the night with the bed feeling quite hot. I turned the temperature back down and this corrected the problem. But I decided to put back on the old mattress cover, or protective topper if you prefer to call it that. This put everything back the way it was originally.... quite comfortable. I was going to wait and make this report after I once again tried the new mattress topper that is 100% cotton, since I have washed it and we'll put it back on without stretching it tightly over the mattress. I'm hoping this will work. But if not I will go shopping to replace my old wore out cover with something as similar as I can find.

The point to all this rhetoric is the fact that a lot of folks are having some kind of difficulty finding a comfortable configuration vis-à-vis beds sleeping too hot or being too soft,or being too hard. What I'm finding is that the cover we sleep on, what it's made out of, how thick it is, and how tightly it is stretch over the mattress can make a great deal of difference in the way the bed feels to us. It's a very interesting conundrum.

The beat goes on!
This message was modified Feb 7, 2010 by eagle2

Recent Posts