Latex beds without coils?
Aug 27, 2011 6:45 AM
Are latex beds without any coils supportive enough?  I'm nervous they are too mushy and unsupportive.  I like them for watching TV but nervous how i will feel after 8 hours or 8 years!  I am so confused and really need to buy something.  I', going back out to more stores today for the 10th day in a row and the sales people are NO help.   
Re: Latex beds without coils?
Reply #1 Aug 27, 2011 9:51 AM
On June 17th, Sears delivered a Stearns and Foster set here, well over $1k.  It had the individual coils, their Variable Response Technology (ooooh) polyurethane foam, silk infused cover and all.  I was so excited when it arrived.  I thought, wow, best bed I've ever bought.  I specifically remember the plushness at the top - you'd cush down, and it would come back up ..... that amount of cush seemed to last for about a few days or so.  Then, the bed formed 'normal body indentations'.  The amount of cush went away and the bed firmed up somewhat.  After 2 or 3 weeks, I thought wow, is this it? Bummer.

I've had my SleepEZ 10000 which is three 2.8" layers of blended talalay latex in a cover with some wool in the top.  This all latex is much more resilient than the cheap top batting and foam in the Stearns and Foster.  Some will say, must have Dunlop or all natural latex.  I just went with SleepEZ's recommendation - they like talalay for their bed and the vast majority of it is a blend of synthetic and natural latex.  I like the bed - it is plenty supportive and I could see it lasting a long time.  I think it sleeps a little bit warmer than the Stearns and Foster, but not much.

This latex bed has also led me to the euro slat bed base which I slept on last night.  It's pretty good!  And adjustable in the hips and shoulders region.  I got the bed base from Ikea for $80 + tax.  Ikea stuff is not junk in my opinion.  It is well engineered and a good value for the price.  One could also get a motorized slatted bed base for only $300 !  That's a smoking bargain ! And that adjusts at head and foot.

Maybe I'm getting off track ........

Yes, all latex can fully support you, for real.  Latex is known as 'the good stuff' in terms of foam.  

Lastly, the only places I know to sample all latex are at alternative stores, 'organic' or natural mattress type of stores.  You may or may not have any in your area.  I just know the first time I tried an 'organic' latex + wool/cotton cover bed, I was blown away.

This message was modified Aug 27, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #2 Aug 27, 2011 10:05 AM
neiman wrote:

Are latex beds without any coils supportive enough?  I'm nervous they are too mushy and unsupportive.  I like them for watching TV but nervous how i will feel after 8 hours or 8 years!  I am so confused and really need to buy something.  I', going back out to more stores today for the 10th day in a row and the sales people are NO help.   

Just keep in mind some 'latex' beds are just maybe a couple or few inch layer of latex.  Example is Serta Vera Wang latex collection.  Some of them are probably alright, but I hated the price they wanted.  Didn't like the Simmons natural care - mattress too high.  I don't like mattresses much over 10" height.

The thing with the layered all latex in a cover is it is somewhat more 'do it yourself'.  You have to place the layers into the cover.  But you can zip open the cover and see exactly what's going on inside.  The somewhat more expensive outfits doing this are - Savvy Rest, Flobeds, few more.  An easier priced outfit is SleepEZ.  They've been around many years. 

I can tell you the owner of SleepEZ is very nice.  Really.  I called last Monday, said the wood foundation wasn't going well, can I return it.  Shawn said, no problem, we'll credit you back, which they did.  And ... said, no need to send the foundation ($190) back, do what you want with it.

I called him yesterday, said, I'm using the foundation again, so I should pay for it.  Shawn says, don't worry, we just want you to be happy and of course we'd like a good review when you are.  Told him about adapting euro slats onto foundation.  He was interested to learn about that and see a couple pics of it.   Bottom line, super nice.  All of them.  Great customer service, Really.

This message was modified Aug 27, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #3 Aug 27, 2011 2:43 PM
Neiman, I have been reading your posts and you do truly seem confused and frustrated.  I do feel for you.  As to this particular question, yes latex is incredibly supportive by itself, without the need for coils.  In Europe in is not unusual for latex mattresses to be only 4 or 6 inches in depth.  And they will last for 20+ years.  However not all latex mattresses are the same.  Also it will depend on your body proportion as to which firmness often mentioned in terms of ILD would support you best. This does not account for comfort and that is a huge ingredient to a great nights sleep.  So you might need a firmer support core and a 2-3 inch softer layer on top.  Hope this helps.
Reply #4 Aug 27, 2011 3:34 PM
Two months ago, I purchased a queen size all Dunlop latex mattress that is 9" of latex in three 3" layers.  I have it on a platform bed.  This mattress is very solid and the support is great.  It's just me using the bed, but I feel pretty confident that if it were being used by two people, one person could get in and out of the bed and the other person would not feel any motion from the mattress.  I am sleeping much better; I am sleep through the night and not waking up and tossing and turning.  One of the reaasons I went for latex is that S mattresses seem to lose their firmness after a short time because of the PU foam used in them.  I don't want a mattress with valleys after a year or two.  I am hoping that a quality latex bed will retain it's form for 10 or more years.  I am willing to pay more up front for a mattress that will be usable for many more years.  I am extremely happy with my all latex mattress!  
Reply #5 Aug 28, 2011 8:41 AM
Thanks everyone for their info.  I am going back to the Comfort Custom Mattress store today where they make all their own products and don't work on commission.  This is where i saw and liked the 100% latex mattress and 92% latex pillow top (with 8% poly foam).  No coils.  Gonna try it again before making any decisions.  I am leaning towards the Aireloom and just hoping that their poly foam is a high quality so it doesn't flatten out in a year.  So many people i see have had bad experiences with poly foam but i wonder if they were Aireloom beds or if there is a wide range of quality poly foams which could explain why some people have bad experiences and some ok?   18 years ago i paid 2000.00 for my current bed which was a lot of $$ at the time and i have LOVED it all these years and when i looked at the lable yesterday i was surprised to see that it is all cotton or poly.  So in this case the poly stood up great...but again, maybe things were made better 20 years ago or maybe it was a better quality foam.???        

I also went to Bloomingdales and tried all the Kluft mattresses (10k-30k) and luckily I didn't like any of them at all.  Way too firm and of course the sales people were really snotty.  

Reply #6 Aug 28, 2011 10:59 PM
Tried the Latex beds today and they are just not for me.  I love soft but they are just too 'mushy' for me.  The ONLY other bed i liked is the Aireloom Hybrid with 54% latex and 39% poly.  I am SOOOO afraid the poly is going to prematurly sag based on all the posts i've read BUT none of the posts have indicated which bed they are referring too so i just have my fingers crossed that they were inexpensive beds with low quality poly foam.  AND i have to hope my bed has the high quality poly......i can't believe how horrible this industry is.         
Reply #7 Aug 29, 2011 4:10 AM
neiman wrote:

Tried the Latex beds today and they are just not for me.  I love soft but they are just too 'mushy' for me.  The ONLY other bed i liked is the Aireloom Hybrid with 54% latex and 39% poly.  I am SOOOO afraid the poly is going to prematurly sag based on all the posts i've read BUT none of the posts have indicated which bed they are referring too so i just have my fingers crossed that they were inexpensive beds with low quality poly foam.  AND i have to hope my bed has the high quality poly......i can't believe how horrible this industry is.         

Hey Neiman,

I had an Aireloom latex bed and it was horrible. Felt great in the store and then within 6 months in sank like a ship where my hips were. Serious horrible lower back pain. Bad customer service from them directly. I got lucky when I complained alot to my cc company and got a full refund. These are low quality beds imo - do not buy no matter how much you like them in the store. They don't make them like they did 20 years ago. I had a Spring Air I bought in 1989 that was made with coconut fibers in it and it was the most amazing bed. The times have changed and all the S brands are just pure crap like you hear on this forum. It's true and it includes the Aireloom's too. I like springs with my latex too and here's some great options for you:

You mentioned custom comfort - perhaps you are in the oc. If so go to the Ergo bed store in Irvine off Jamborree and look around http://www.ergocomfort.com/. They carry some great beds. Custom Comfort is okay but I find their beds too hard and they are not an open bed system and for what they are charging I believe there are better options. 

Also European Sleep Works http://www.sleepworks.com/ is up in the bay area and they have an assortment of nice beds too that Ergo carries a few under their Silhouette name. ESW has a great return policy if you don't like it you can return it. Ergo does not have a good return policy even though it is ESW's bed. Go figure. The same bed sytem at ESW is about $500 cheaper than at Ergo. I guess they need to make a profit somehow. ESW's beds are made in Ontario by Berkely Ergonomics - that's the parent co. You can google them and get more info. These are what I call an open bed where you can change out the latex and springs if it is too firm or too soft. You can also get a topper mattress with latex with these beds. Both the mattress and the topper have zippers to change out the components.

The Natural Mattress Store http://thenaturalmattressstore.com/ is also in the bay area and has good quality beds too. These are also open beds that let you customize the feel with different spring gauges and soft, medium, or firm latex. Steve owns the stores and is great to work with.

One more to consider is McRoskey http://www.mcroskey.com/ in San Francisco - they have a new all latex and wool bed that looks interesting.

Take a trip up to the bay area and sample some of these beds if you realy want to get a great bed. Or just go over to Ergo and get seduced by the Carpe Diem beds they have. I think the ESW beds and the natural mattress store beds can be very similar to the CD beds in the right combination and you will save $10 - 15,000 from what you will spend on the CD beds.

Best wishes, and I hope this is helpful!

This message was modified Aug 29, 2011 by Scott1258
Reply #8 Aug 29, 2011 10:55 AM
We have been sleeping on a "Pure Latex Bliss" mattress for 5 weeks now.  It is pure talalay latex and cost $3600 at SleepWorld.  I would give it back if I could!  Unfortunately there is no "comfort" warranty.  This has to be the worst mattress ever.  I can barely move when I first get up.  I finally gave up and went back to the guest room where we put our previous mattress.  So much better.  If you spend this much money on any mattress, make sure they will give you a few months trial to see if it is as good as what they say it is. 
Reply #9 Aug 29, 2011 11:10 AM
Scot1258-

You wrote "I got lucky when I complained alot to my cc company and got a full refund".   That is great...your right, you did get it lucky.  With all the disclosures about no refunds its amazing you were able to get a refund.  Did you send the bed back to the company and then your CC company gave you a refund?  How did it happen? 

Yes i live in Orange County.  

Reply #10 Aug 29, 2011 12:22 PM
neiman wrote:

I think you are mistaken in assuming an all latex mattress will be too mushy.  It will depend on the type of latex you get.  Believe me if you got 9" of firm to extra firm dunlop latex, I doubt you would say it is too mushy.

What you may want to consider is buying a latex you can customize and exchange layers and/or return if you don't like(sleepez, flobeds, etc.) .  Sleepez would definitely be cheaper than your Aireloom option and I am pretty sure it will last longer since it will be all latex.  For most people this is a good option, because it is very tough to get the right feel without sleeping on it.

Some people just don't like the feel off all latex for whatever reason, so it is possible it won't work.  Maybe you are one of those or maybe you just have not tried a latex one that is firm enough.

Another option is the Costco which also sells a poly / latex combo.   That will be much cheaper and they have a 100% return policy.   The disadvantage is that you cannot try it out first, so  a bit of a hassle if you end up not liking it.    I returned one that they delivered and picked up and it did not cost me one cent.

Recent Posts