Latex Bed Foundations
Mar 26, 2010 3:27 PM
Hello All,

This is my first post. I have been lurking around the forum for several months. I am probably going to purchase a king size mattress from Sleep EZ soon. I am considering an 8500 or 10000 organic model.

I am considering  purchasing the foundation for the mattress locally to save some money on purchase of the foundation. I asked Shaun at Sleep EZ about using a standard foundation and he said it would be fine as long as the slats were no more than 3" apart.

After checking with my local bed retailer I have found that the standard spacing for what they are calling a standard "Tritan" foundation is 12" apart. They claim that no manufacturers are making a foundation with the slats anywhere near 3" apart.  I thought that I have seen several post by people that were indeed using standard foundations from the major manufacturers under their latex mattresses. 

Does anyone have any experience with using a standard foundation under their latex mattress? Is the 12" slat spacing O.K. or will it be a problem under the latex mattress?

Re: Latex Bed Foundations
Reply #1 Mar 26, 2010 4:21 PM
Does he really know all manufacturers?  I am a skeptic on that one.  I have a Sealy Trueform foundation that had a memory foam non-useable product on it.  So I guess I have to tear open the cover to see for sure.  Their online info won't tell you.  Wonder how your sales guy knows all?

If this guy is talking about regular foundations okay then.  But if he is talking about knock off copies or Tempurpedic foundations then that shouldn't or can't be true.  Not sure.

Do you have an old foundation now?

This message was modified Mar 26, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #2 Mar 27, 2010 2:50 AM
I'm in the same dilemma here. Looked at a bunch of bed foundations. Most are spaced way too far apart with flimsy cardboard covering, and could damage the latex mattress. They won't provide proper support.

I'm planning on building my own slat foundation from raw wood, there's DIY'ers that did just that on the forum.  It might not look pretty, but I'll just put a bed skirt on it & its within my budget.

Reply #3 Mar 27, 2010 10:14 AM
Yes I do have a foundation, but is a box spring with springs in it. I am under the impression that box springs with springs are not appropriate for latex mattresses.

My sales person checked with the Sealey, Stearns&Foster, Bassett Rep. He told her that they did not make any foundations with the slats 3" apart. He told her that they were all 12".

I wanted to go with Sealey, Stearns&Foster or Bassett because they use covers on all there mattresses and foundations that contain no fire retardants. They use a blend that contains kevlar and wool on their covers that does not require the use of fire retardants on the mattresses and foundations.   

Reply #4 Mar 27, 2010 9:28 PM
Does anyone have an opinion or experience about a good quality futon frame as a foundation for latex?

Recent Posts