keeping toppers on mattresses
May 25, 2008 9:08 PM
Do any of you have problems with your toppers sliding off the top of your mattress and having to constantly straighten it out?  How do you keep them on without all the shifting!  Right now I have a 2 inch memory foam topper with no cover on it, on top of my SBR mattress.

I want to get a new bed and a natura topper and wonder if I will continue having this problem.
Re: keeping toppers on mattresses
Reply #20 Jun 7, 2008 8:32 PM
I have about given up on the Brylane toppers, I unfortunately bought 3 twins.  I have tried every combination, 2 layers, and featherbed.  Last night 2 layers and it was the worst painful sleepless nights ever!  I think this polyurethane bed is just hopeless.  I wonder if it would be different on our old flippable spring mattress.  My last attempt to use the toppers will be on that bed.  I already know I have pressure pain (hip) in the spring bed though.
Reply #21 Jun 8, 2008 5:55 AM
Wow, you are having a rough time with those toppers.

On the Brylane topper--It's not that soft because it's a medium. I guestimate about a 28. I folded it over, which gave me 2" of foam and it felt softer to me--or at least it had more cushioning power. Talalay is very resilient and pushes back against you, and you may be reacting to that quality. If you want soft latex you need to go with something like a 20-22 ILD, but if it's Talalay it will still feel pushy. The other thing is you are using it on a mattress with 5" of memory foam! I can't even imagine sleeping on 5" of memory foam. I suspect that when you add the latex to the top you just sink in even deeper. Toppers are really intended to soften up mattresses that are too firm and they work best on innerspring mattresses.

On the mattress pad: Mine is horizontal ribbing. Just so we're on the same page, the bands go across the bed from side to side, not head to foot. I returned two other mattress pads because they made the bed feel hard. This one is nice and soft. You could call a few Mervyns and see if they have any left in a queen. Washing them a few times tends to soften them up a little too. Guess it's too late because you've already taken the stitches out, but I would think doing that will cause the filling to shift around--especially when you wash it.

I think that mattress of yours is hopeless. You obviously aren't getting the kind of support you need. After wasting time and sleep and money on other kinds of mattresses I've come to the conclusion that an old fashioned flippable innerspring mattress is probably the best thing. Nothing really supports your back like springs, and with all the available choices in quality toppers --latex, memory foam-- you can eliminate the pressure point problem innerspring mattresses used to be known for.

Leo, I wouldn't waste any more money on toppers that will make no difference on your current mattress. Spend your money on a new innerspring mattress. Concentrate on a sturdy coil unit. Get it as firm as you can, then try the toppers you already have on top of it. You can layer them on until you find your comfort zone--good support for your back and enough cushiness for your hips. I think you'll be much happier.

Reply #22 Jun 8, 2008 3:52 PM
Thanks Cloud9, do you think this is the same kind of mattress pad you are talking about?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7811145&sourceid=1500000000000003183730&srccode=cii_15720625&cpncode=12-52863241-2
Yes, I ruined the mattress pad after removing the stitching.  I was desperate!

Good advice dumping that bed.  You must have been sending me your thoughts last night, because we moved the spongebed and spring mattress bed til 1 a.m., and I put the 2 latex toppers on, then a sheet on the spring mattress.  I really felt the latex this time.  But my shoulders hurt and it was quite different, but better for my hips.  I slept 3-4 hours at a time.  Before I would sleep 1 hour at a time!  The memory foam on the Sealy was at the bottom (I flipped it over), but the poly foam was too spongy.  I don't know how they sell those things.  Mine was from 2005.  What a waste of money.

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.  Thanks for the info on the latex toppers being medium.  They are a good quality, and hopefully I can use them.
Reply #23 Jun 11, 2008 5:43 AM
Nope, that's not it. Try the link below. This is what it looks like. I'm sure many other places sell similar mattress pads.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=112153&RN=559&

Looks like you may be on the way to a good night's sleep with a little tweaking, now that  you've switched to springs. For a lot of people--myself included-- nothing beats the rigid support of a good innerspring mattress. I know what you're going through.  I returned a SleepEZ mattress I simply couldn't sleep on no matter what I did to make it comfortable. It just didn't agree with my back.  I could never sleep for more than two hours on the thing. After a few days at any given configuration of cores I'd find myself getting up in the middle of the night, tearing off the sheets and rearranging the layers to get some relief. It was horrible and although SleepEZ makes a very nice mattress with high quality LI latex, I wouldn't recommend it for you since I don't think it would give you the proper support you need.

Now that you've switched to springs you can see how different your toppers feel than they did on the MF. If you want to make the bed a little cushier without losing too much support consider ordering the Overstock.com 1" memory foam topper and lay it over the latex. You might even find that one inch of latex with one inch of the MF over it gives you more comfort than the 2" of latex alone. It depends on how firm you mattress is and how much discomfort you have in your shoulders. I believe that with an innerspring mattress and the correct combination of toppers you can make a bed that is extremely comfortable and gives you the best night's sleep it's possible to have. You're probably really down on MF right now, but this stuff is cheap and doesn't sleep hot and if you don't like you can return it.  One foot note, if you do decide to order it go with a king because it runs narrow and short and with a little trimming you can make it fit end to end. Just try it out to see if you like it before you cut, in case you want to return it. It's the same $39 any size. 

Reply #24 Jun 11, 2008 7:41 PM
Well I had to get a mattress pad ASAP, so I went to every store on this side of town (even 2 Mervyn stores), then we went to the other side of town and looked at all the dept. stores, and discount stores.  I ended up at JC Penneys because of their good return policy and because it was the only mattress pad that resembled a topper, only not as thick.  The one you showed in the link to Bed bath & beyond looks like vertical strips, and close together.  Anyway, I looked at the backing on all of the pads and the only one that was NOT STIFF and had soft backing, and extra padding was at Penneys, it also had large boxes.  It has been 2 nights, and it does change the feel of the bed, but not like a stiff hammocking effect.

I may try the 1" MF if I need too. I still does need something for my hips, but the pain is less than before.  I think  2" of latex may be too much.  I did sink in and then my legs hurt (when I used a sheet only).  But the padding in the mattress pad does soften it a bit, but I am not sinking in as much as I was, due to mattress pad and cotton sheets.

I do love the spring bed again.  No I don't think I could ever do the all latex, I guess I do need the springs.  I did not realize how picky I am and my body is not as forgiving as it once was.  Thanks for all your input, and I learn so much reading this forum.  It is a real challenge to make your mattress work for you.  I also learned from reading past posts about taking the cover off the latex pillow to make it softer, it actually does!  The cover really was tight, I don't have pain in that area now.  Before I removed the cover my ear was actually numb when I woke up every few hours.
This message was modified Jun 11, 2008 by Leo3
Reply #25 Jun 13, 2008 1:52 PM
Now I wake up with red marks covering half of my hip and leg area.  Obviously the sheets and mattress pad make it tight.  I tried to find the stretchy mattress cover and they are no where to be found.  I decided  not to try the cuddlebed because Costco here is just awful (crowded and long lines) and returning it would be too hard (if I had too).  I like to see what it is before I buy.

I certainly am at a loss of what to try now.
Reply #26 Jun 14, 2008 1:18 AM
I would give the CuddleBed a try anyway. If you DID have to return it, couldn't you go when Costco first opens? I still think you would like it.

Leo3 wrote:
Now I wake up with red marks covering half of my hip and leg area.  Obviously the sheets and mattress pad make it tight.  I tried to find the stretchy mattress cover and they are no where to be found.  I decided  not to try the cuddlebed because Costco here is just awful (crowded and long lines) and returning it would be too hard (if I had too).  I like to see what it is before I buy.<BR><BR>I certainly am at a loss of what to try now.<br type="_moz"/>
Reply #27 Jun 14, 2008 12:14 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
I would give the CuddleBed a try anyway. If you DID have to return it, couldn't you go when Costco first opens? I still think you would like it.

Is the bottom of the Cuddlebed regular cotton, or is it a polyester?  The boxes look the same as the Penneys mattress pad  I have to take back.  The reason I think it is so tight is it curls up and you have to pull it tight to get it to fit.  Does the Cuddle bed have to be pulled on?  Do you put regular cotton sheets on top and does it wrinkle up badly?   I noticed it has a wall on the edges, doesn't that make the sheet impossible to lay flat on the top?

I laughed when you said couldn't I go to Costco when it first opens, I sleep so badly that when I finally do sleep I don't get up til 9:30 or 10:00 a.m. anymore!  Good idea though.

I tried sleeping with my cheap jersey sheets over the latex last night and it left marks on me, and didn't feel good at all.  I really need something on top of the latex or try something completely different underneath.  That is two mattress pads that do not work, I am not sure anything will work!  Maybe it is the latex?  I tried to just sleep on the mattress and wow was that awful.
Reply #28 Jun 15, 2008 2:40 AM
The CuddleBed is designed to fit a mattress up to 21" high. It's not tight at all and yet it conforms very nicely...in other words, not too loose, either. It's just perfect. You do NOT have to pull it tight to fit.The bedskirt is of a high quality material that hugs the mattress wonderfully. The CuddleBed then fits right up to the edges and never slips. I know that the top fabric is a luxurious 400 count 100% cotton. Not sure about the bottom. I just know that once I put it on my mattress over my topper, it stays put. The sheets fit perfectly over the CuddleBed. No wrinkles or riding up whatsoever. I use regular cotton sheets of decent thread count.

Oh come on---give it a try! I think you'll be pleased with the feel. How will you know unless you try it? That way you won't need to keep asking me questions about it. :-) I love it so much, I bought TWO! I'm keeping the new one around in case my first one "wears out". But so far, it hasn't shown any sign of wear and tear. I really like the CuddleBed!

Leo3 wrote:
Is the bottom of the Cuddlebed regular cotton, or is it a polyester?  The boxes look the same as the Penneys mattress pad  I have to take back.  The reason I think it is so tight is it curls up and you have to pull it tight to get it to fit.  Does the Cuddle bed have to be pulled on?  Do you put regular cotton sheets on top and does it wrinkle up badly?   I noticed it has a wall on the edges, doesn't that make the sheet impossible to lay flat on the top?<BR><BR>I laughed when you said couldn't I go to Costco when it first opens, I sleep so badly that when I finally do sleep I don't get up til 9:30 or 10:00 a.m. anymore!  Good idea though.<BR><BR>I tried sleeping with my cheap jersey sheets over the latex last night and it left marks on me, and didn't feel good at all.  I really need something on top of the latex or try something completely different underneath.  That is two mattress pads that do not work, I am not sure anything will work!  Maybe it is the latex?  I tried to just sleep on the mattress and wow was that awful.
Reply #29 May 28, 2013 12:43 PM
beddy bye this cuddlebed you are talking about is it from walmart or Costco ..... One you can wash in the washer and the other one says no washing

Recent Posts