Just "made my bed" - literally...
Feb 4, 2008 11:41 PM
So we went to our local form source here in S. Calif. today and bought a whole bunch of foam.

I bought 2 twin bottom layers of firm HR foam. They didn't know the ILD's but I did get to go feel the 3 ILD's they had on stock and I'd guess they were 40-something, 30-something and late-20-something. Maybe 45, 34 and 28.

So, for my wife's and my 2 twin beds, (Sealys which we are building up over their springs), we bought:
4 x 1/2" very firm 75" x 37 and 1/2" - (2 each for bottom layers over the springs)
4 x 1" firm 25" x 37 and 1/2"  for hip sections and/or other sections
4 x 1" medium firm 25" x 37 and 1/2" for various sections
4 x 1" medium 25" x 37 and 1/2" for various sections

So basically, on top of the very firm bottom layers over the springs, we have 6 x 1" pieces to play with for each twin mattress.
Cost:  $167.00 for everything.

We didn't buy any soft layers because we already have a whole bunch of soft PU, soft latex x 1" and soft memory foam x 3/4 and soft memory foam x 2".

To start we just put the firm x 2" in the middle, medium x 2" at the top and 2" x medium firm at the bottom.

Our backs are killing us from all the moving the beds around (my wife still had the mattress on the bottom and memory foam on the top, so we had to move her mattress to the top and cut it open, get rid of all the crap Sealy cheap PU foam and put in the new stuff, then we had to re-do the innards of mine as well, then we had to put away all the old memory foam into bags and suck the air out with a vaccum and store it in the closet.

So tonight may not be a good night to judge the new mattresses - our backs are sore from all the lifting and moving and etc.. But I can tell you that it is much firmer and I'm wondering if it might not be too firm for my liking. I might have to put some of the memory foam on top and get rid of one of the layers of 1" HR foam.

Note: although the size of a twin mattress is really 76" long, I just divided all the foam into 25" pieces so that we can easily interchange them. Also, since they fit inside the "box" Sealy made for us, the actual foam inside is a little smaller than the mattress. 3 x 25" zones seems to work out about right and buying the foam this way gives us the most interchange-ability of zoned pieces.

The only think I might buy , still, is a couple of 25" zoned 2" pieces of Dunlop latex - one medium and one firm - to experiment with as "hip" zones. The guy where I bought the foam today is supposed to call me in the next day or two with prices. He says Dunlop has been going up every month or so, so he could not give me a price until he calls them. Sorry, they don't ship and have no web site. If you live in the L.A. area I can give you their phone number and address.

Recent Posts