Just bought a new Flobeds
Sep 21, 2009 3:31 PM
I just purchased a new FloBeds. It is the 100% natural Talalay 4 layer mattresses. The top most layer being a soft egg crate 2" piece of Talalay.  

I purchased the following configuration. On the left side of the bed I have a median top layer, firm middle layer, and extra firm bottom layer. On the right side the top layer is firm, the second layer is extra firm, and the bottom layer is extra firm.

I felt that this should give me an opportunity to switch the layers around and come up with the configuration that will work the best for my 6' 2"  210 pound frame. It has been quite a wrestling match, reading all the different descriptions that various people like, when it comes to firmness layers. You also run into this with some of the websites. No two people seem to consider this the same way. So I'm just going to have to experiment.

This is one of the main reasons that I went with FloBeds. They have the most liberal exchange policy coupled with a generous return policy. They definitely get more money than some of the other sites. But when you're purchasing something this expensive from the Internet, and cannot lay on it, feel it, look at it, and even smell it, it's good to have a situation where you can make corrections at a nominal expense. Given the fact that FloBeds has an excellent reputation with the BBB, and Dave and Dewey Turner are excellent people to do business with, it just seemed to make good sense to me to consider the extra cost as an insurance policy.

One last point I would like to make. I just realize that I have been misspelling FloBeds name. I had been misspelling it "FlowBeds." Wrong!    It is spelled FloBeds.com. I hope I have not misdirected anyone.

It will probably take about a week to get this bed in my home, set up, and slept on. When I have had an opportunity to do this I will be sure to post back and let you know what my experiences are, as I know how confusing this kind of a purchase can be.

This message was modified Sep 22, 2009 by eagle2
Re: Just bought a new Flobeds
Reply #1 Sep 22, 2009 1:57 PM
eagle2 wrote:
I just purchased a new FloBeds. It is the 100% natural Talalay 4 layer mattresses. The top most layer being a soft egg crate 2" piece of Talalay.  

I purchased the following configuration. On the left side of the bed I have a median top layer, firm middle layer, and extra firm bottom layer. On the right side the top layer is firm, the second layer is extra firm, and the bottom layer is extra firm.

I felt that this should give me an opportunity to switch the layers around and come up with the configuration that will work the best for my 6' 2"  210 pound frame. It has been quite a wrestling match, reading all the different descriptions that various people like, when it comes to firmness layers. You also run into this with some of the websites. No two people seem to consider this the same way. So I'm just going to have to experiment.

This is one of the main reasons that I went with FloBeds. They have the most liberal exchange policy coupled with a generous return policy. They definitely get more money than some of the other sites. But when you're purchasing something this expensive from the Internet, and cannot lay on it, feel it, look at it, and even smell it, it's good to have a situation where you can make corrections at a nominal expense. Given the fact that FloBeds has an excellent reputation with the BBB, and Dave and Dewey Turner are excellent people to do business with, it just seemed to make good sense to me to consider the extra cost as an insurance policy.

One last point I would like to make. I just realize that I have been misspelling FloBeds name. I had been misspelling it "FlowBeds." Wrong!    It is spelled FloBeds.com. I hope I have not misdirected anyone.

It will probably take about a week to get this bed in my home, set up, and slept on. When I have had an opportunity to do this I will be sure to post back and let you know what my experiences are, as I know how confusing this kind of a purchase can be.

Thanks for the update Eagle, I was wondering what happened to ya RE: your purchase.  I'm wondering how you'll like the latex.  I found that my latex gives me good support but it's not "plush" like memory foam.  It doesn't sleep cool but it doesn't sleep hot either (maybe it's the bamboo sheets I use).  Some have reported it sleeps hot, I'd be interested to hear your opinion on that.  Also if you feel that zoning makes any difference or not vs regular?
Reply #2 Sep 22, 2009 4:41 PM
Vaphils wrote:
Thanks for the update Eagle, I was wondering what happened to ya RE: your purchase.  I'm wondering how you'll like the latex.  I found that my latex gives me good support but it's not "plush" like memory foam.  It doesn't sleep cool but it doesn't sleep hot either (maybe it's the bamboo sheets I use).  Some have reported it sleeps hot, I'd be interested to hear your opinion on that.  Also if you feel that zoning makes any difference or not vs regular?

Vaphils: I plan on keeping a daily diary so that I will be able to recall everything about my experience. I will be sure to post back and let you know what that experience is. I, like you and many others, find this whole process quite confusing. Simply because we are not only built different, but we are psychologically different, one from the other.

One of the principal reasons that I went with the FloBeds is there excellent exchange policy. No other company on the Internet, as far as I know, allows the same flexibility and therefore opportunity to find what works best for you. David Turner has been in the mattress business for 30 years. His whole concept has been to try and find for the individual their best sleep surface.

If memory serves correctly, from what I read on his website, he started out working with waterbeds. In fact he still sells waterbeds. He has also worked with air beds and sells them as well. By he likes latex foam the best because it is the least trouble once you find your proper firmness level. That is why he invented the zone system.

I will keep you apprised of my developments.
Reply #3 Sep 22, 2009 6:05 PM
Hi eagle2,
I've been going through some posts, including yours, and think I read in different posts (if I'm remembering correctly) that you were getting an all-dunlap bed, then that you ordered a combination talalay-dunlap, and now an all talalay flobed? Did you try the others or change your mind? Curious because it'd be great to hear your experience of the various ones.

I'm still working on my flo-beds set-up, which I hope I can make work (all natural talaly). Flobeds has been great to work with, excellent customer service.
Linda
Reply #4 Sep 22, 2009 7:15 PM
linda wrote:
Hi eagle2,
I've been going through some posts, including yours, and think I read in different posts (if I'm remembering correctly) that you were getting an all-dunlap bed, then that you ordered a combination talalay-dunlap, and now an all talalay flobed? Did you try the others or change your mind? Curious because it'd be great to hear your experience of the various ones.

I'm still working on my flo-beds set-up, which I hope I can make work (all natural talaly). Flobeds has been great to work with, excellent customer service.
Linda

Linda: Yes it has been a very convoluted experience. I will spare you the details as they are not pertinent to the questions you're asking, but rather have to do with business dealings, and not beds. But needless to say it has not been a fun trip getting from where I started to finally winding up with FloBeds. It is true I thought I wanted,(and still wonder about) some Dunlop latex in my bed. This was the reason that I did not go with FloBeds to begin with, as they are principally and primarily a Talalay company.

So I really cannot give you any experience between Dunlop and Talalay at this point in time. The mattress that I have ordered is all Talalay. I will be sure to report back here and give you my experiences as I plan on keeping a daily diary.

Yes, Dave Turner of Flobeds is excellent to work with. In fact, although it has been a rather protracted and exasperating experience, I'm actually glad that everything happen as it did now, and I wound up with FloBeds.
This message was modified Sep 22, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #5 Sep 22, 2009 9:16 PM
I look forward to hearing your review of your new mattress eagle.
Thank you for keeping us all in the loop.

Jay
Reply #6 Sep 23, 2009 4:15 AM
Thanks for your reply eagle2. I'm wondering if you had a bad experience with SavvyRest; isn't that where you were going to go initially?
Linda
Reply #7 Sep 23, 2009 4:15 AM
Thanks for your reply eagle2. I'm wondering if you had a bad experience with SavvyRest; isn't that where you were going to go initially?
Linda
Reply #8 Sep 23, 2009 4:04 PM
linda wrote:
Linda

Linda: Yes Savvy Rest  was the company I went with initially. It wasn't that there was anything wrong with the company or their product, as far as I know they are both good. The problem centered around a business arrangement that did not work out. So I say to anyone who has their product, or is thinking about purchasing from them, that they should have no qualms about doing business with them directly. At least that was my impression with the limited business dealings I had dealing directly with Savvy Rest.
Reply #9 Sep 23, 2009 7:04 PM
Welcome to AWESOME comfort and sleep. You have made a wise decision. I would fight tooth and nail if someone tried to take MY Flobed  I have had mine for over a year now and I STILL look forward to going to bed every night!  I realize that everyone is different. I would not insult anyone by suggesting that a Flobed latex mattress is for everyone.  Having tried every type of bed under the sun, including other brands of latex, nothing, and I mean NOTHING, comes close to the comfort and support of my Flobed! I sincerely hope that you have the same experience.

Gizmodo
Reply #10 Sep 29, 2009 2:13 PM
First nights sleep report.

The FloBeds mattress arrived yesterday the 28th in good shape.

Getting the mattress in place was a lot more difficult than I had been led to believe. First of all Pat and I had one hard time removing the old waterbed. I did not rent a pump, which I should have, and so it was a long time draining. Then unfortunately I stop the draining because I thought it had become partially plugged up with the old flotation material. This ended any future draining, which was too bad because there was about 10 or 15 gallons of water left in the waterbed. This amounts to something like 150 pounds of sloshing mush of waterbed for two old people to try and handle. So we worked ourselves to death just getting the old waterbed out of the bedroom. So we were wore out before we even started installing the new bed. Latex, all-natural rubber, is quite heavy.  We didn’t get done until about 10 o’clock at night and we started at four in the afternoon. The process actualy went on much longer due to removing the waterbed. We started this process about 1 PM.

As you will recall the Flobeds is a natural 100% botanically grown latex 4 layer mattress. It is all Talalay process latex.

In any event this is the way the bed was constructed. Looking at the headboard from the footboard, on the left side the bottom layer is extra firm, the middle layer is firm, and the top layer is medium. On the right side the bottom layer is extra firm, the middle layer is extra firm, and the top layer is firm. Overlaying the entire Cal King bed is a 2-inch piece of convoluted very soft Talalay foam.

I found this bed to be much firmer than I had been led to believe by many posters at “what’s the best mattress.com.” I don’t know how anybody could feel like they are “falling through” a configuration like this. Naturally the left side of the bed is less firm than the right side of the bed. But I found sleeping on the mattress that both sides were very comfortable. But I did prefer the less firm left side of the bed.

I awoke this morning feeling refreshed and without any back pain (and I have a bad back)or anything from all the strain of the previous day’s work getting rid of the waterbed and installing the new latex bed. This in itself is quite a tribute to the bed because both Pat and I were really beat when we finally quit work last night. One other point I want to make. I normally have to take some kind of nasal spray at night because my nose usually gets all stuffed up. I did not take any nasal sprayer, and I only had a very partial blockage of my nasal passages.  In any event I believe I have an excellent bed and I will be reporting on a daily bases for the next few days so that you will have a more clear picture of this process.
This message was modified Sep 29, 2009 by eagle2

Recent Posts