Is it true that the S Co's are all going to mostly pocket coils now?
Apr 9, 2011 4:03 PM
First time I have been in a mattress store for years. I walked in and there was no one there and I was able to talk to the mattress salesman for 15 min. or so while I laid on a few mattresses. Mostly I just went in to see what was selling these days because frankly, for me, laying on mattresses in a store does me no good. I can tell if they're too soft (most are) but other than that it's a waste of time. I have to spend several nights on a mattress before I can get a sense of how it supports or does not support my body.

What I found most interesting is that the sales man told me (not sure if it's true... maybe Budgy or another mattress insider can tell me) that almost all the Big S companies are switching over to pocket coils. He told me that Stearns and Foster now make almost all their mattresses with pocket coils. I found this incredible.

I mentioned that years ago I had a Simmons pocket coil and that it lasted only 6 months or so before either the springs wore out or they migrated, not sure which. He said migration was not a problem, as far as he knows (either that has changed or he just doesn't know, becuase years ago if you did a search on the net you'd find many complaints of the pocket coils having shifted).

I also found that a few mattresses were using latex but just synthetic latex and only in small amounts, just so they could advertise it as "latex". I did find one Stearns and Foster which the mattress guy said was all latex (synthetic; I believe Sealy makes their own, right?)... but honestly I doubt it was all latex, I'd be willing to bet it has some Pee Yew foam in it too.

The one thing about mattress salesmen that I have found (and of course there are exceptions like some who have identified themselves as such on this forum, who are very helpful and knowledgeable) is that they will tell you with an honest and sincere face that such and such is true, and then I find out later it was pure B.S.. I always wonder if they really believed it to be true or if they just love lying so much that they have gotten very good at it. So I wonder if it is true that the majority of S beds are now pocket coils or if it was just b.s..

My other question is, to anyone who might know the inside scoop on this: Has the pocket coil technology changed over the past 15 years? Are they better now than they were? I always thought it was a good design except that a) they could migrate too easily; and b) since they are made from thin gauge wire, they would wear out quickly. If they have made some advancement that would allow them to last longer without wearing out or migrating then I would actually consider buying one.

This message was modified Apr 9, 2011 by jimsocal
Re: Is it true that the S Co's are all going to mostly pocket coils now?
Reply #12 May 2, 2011 4:56 PM
budgy wrote:

Hey Jim,

I think that it would be better from a looks standpoint to have the top cover sewn on a little more tightly...this will firm up the mattress though..so I suppose it is a matter of preference.  

I did sell Simmons for about 8 years...we never really carried the coil-on-coil mattresses, as even though the springs sounded interesting, the upholstery was essentially the same as the lower priced Beautyrest models.  Seemed very expensive to me for what it was.

I definitely agree with you that  the dual coil Simmons are overpriced. However, it seems I am not as concerned about the upholstery and materials as you are. Would I rather have things like wool, cotton, silk, cashmere, etc in my mattress as opposed to mass-produced polyester materials etc.? Yes. But mostly what I care about is the springs and foams. And getting a mattress I can sleep on through the night.

Speaking theoretically, since I have not slept on them, the Simmons coil on coil design seems like it could be a real winner in terms of support. I'd like to hear from people who have tried them. OR people who have tried S&F Intellicoils. It seems to me the Simmons coil-over-coil design is better than the S&F coil within a coil design but I am curious to see how people think about both of them, particularly people who have had issues with finding a mattress that supports a bad back or shoulders or other pressure-point/ support issues.

Meanwhile I am basically happy with my current low-budget system, but I have my doubts as to how long the frame will hold up since it is just bowed wood. Seems to me the wood will give out at some point, quicker than tempered springs should. On the other hand, I may also just keep the latex layers as I have them, and just try a different wood frame, maybe an adustable wood frame. Do you have any ideas on a frame I could try to replace my current bowed wood one, above? One that would last and that is also adjustable? I'm going to start a thread with this question...

Recent Posts