inexpensive foundation for latex?
Mar 21, 2010 3:36 AM
We need to find a better foundation for our ca king latex mattress - our current frame doesn't have a center support.  Flobeds has a foundation with its own legs that would fit inside our current frame, but we'd like to find something a little less expensive (the mattress itself kind of soaked up the budget). 

Anybody have any suggestions?  Either a slat structure or a flat platform would be fine as long as it supported the weight of the mattress on it's own.  I've looked at those metal frame things ('better than a boxspring', etc) sold by Target and Walmart and I don't think those look like a great idea.

Linda

Re: inexpensive foundation for latex?
Reply #23 Mar 29, 2010 4:39 PM
Leo3 wrote:

What foundation are you using now?  If you said I don't remember.  Add a piece of plywood over the foundation it it is an old one.  At least til you make a decision.

How long have you had the Flobed?

That's what I've got.  But it's unsupported in the middle.

Linda

Reply #24 Mar 31, 2010 6:32 PM
cityskies wrote:

Hi Leo, I'm sorry I made you more anxious with my answers -- I can relate, as I myself have gotten nearly phobic about the bed-buying process, having learned from my recent experience that the wrong bed can not only wreak havoc on one's sleep and all one's waking hours, but can also lead to a ridiculously time-consuming process to work through and resolve. I've already spent untold hours on researching and trying out beds, not wanting to repeat the same bad mistake.

I will say that a firm mostly cotton tufted innerspring (with minimal padding) ended up being great for my back, but I got rid of it for other reasons. I did try it with a latex topper and didn't love it, but it was slightly more comfortable than lying on just the innerspring.

I wouldn't try Talalay again, as it was so disastrous for me last time. To be honest, I am a little worried that the Dunlop might be problematic too, but when I lay on several Savvy rest ones the Dunlop felt more solid with less 'push-back'. I have also been reassured that Dunlop is closer to innerspring than Talalay so I am hoping (praying) this will be the answer.

Have you tried a high-quality innerspring? I wonder if that will help, with a soft topper (e.g., the wool one you have, maybe a little thicker on on top of a thin dunlop topper) for your hips. I think for some back problems, as with mine, a firm mattress can help.

Also, I didn't mean to discourage you re: the Flobeds Euro Slat foundation. I actually thought it was a good product for the price, even if the workmanship could have been a tad better on the details. Overall, it seemed sturdy and functional.

Did the Euro slat foundation creak or make noises when you toss and turned?

I am still undecided on the whole thing.  I have only been searching for over a year for the "perfect" solution.

Reply #25 Apr 26, 2010 10:55 PM
Cityskies,

Did you make a decision on your slat foundation?  Or a mattress?

Inkholder, Did you find a foundation that works with your Flobed?  What setup did you end up with (F, F, XF?) and the Vzone?  

This message was modified Apr 26, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #26 May 21, 2010 2:59 AM
MY husband and I got the NOMAD bed from Amazon for $149 plus shipping. It looks great and works nice. Just read the reviews.
Reply #27 May 21, 2010 11:59 AM
I am making my own foundation for my king sized bed.  About $80 in materials/lumber.

The nomad for king size is $199 on Amazon, and does not look very sturdy to me.  The side rails look thin.

Plus I am building mine in two pieces which will make it much easier to move in the future.

Reply #28 May 21, 2010 5:16 PM
laredo7mm wrote:

I am making my own foundation for my king sized bed.  About $80 in materials/lumber.

The nomad for king size is $199 on Amazon, and does not look very sturdy to me.  The side rails look thin.

Plus I am building mine in two pieces which will make it much easier to move in the future.

Can you provide your DIY list of materials and pictures?  That sounds great to me.

Reply #29 May 21, 2010 11:27 PM
I am just going to use standard "2 by" lumber for the perimeter with 1 x 4 firring strips for the slats.  Since I have a king sized mattress, I am going to build two seperate foundations and bolt them together.  Nothing fancy, nothing pretty, but the bed skirt will cover it so I am not worried about pretty...lol

for legs, I am using what Home Depot calls a Waddell Leg.  Here is a picture:

They come in all different lengths.  I am going to use 6 or 9 inch legs.

To attach the legs to the foundation, i will use the Waddell Plates:

The legs come with the 5/16" screw in the end and that just screws into the above brackets.

With the two foundations bolted togeter, I will have one leg in each corner using the triangle shaped bracket.  And three legs down the center rail using the square bracket.

You could use 2 x 8 lumber, but I want a bit of extra height, so I think I am going to go with the 2 x 10 lumber.

I am going to use 14 slats, so on a king sized foundation, they will have about 2.375 inches between them.

I have the foundation modeled in 3D.  Let me see if I can get a screen shot and I will post the picture.

This message was modified May 22, 2010 by laredo7mm
Reply #30 May 21, 2010 11:45 PM
Here is the model of the finished foundation:

Hope that helps

Reply #31 May 21, 2010 11:59 PM
Using 2 x 8 construction and 6 inch legs, the price (without sales tax) comes to about $81.00

Using 2 x 10 construction and 9 inch legs, the price (without sales tax) comes to about $99.00

My local Home Depot will cut your lumber to size at no extra charge, well they have for me in the past, hopefully it still holds true today.  So all I have to do is nail/screw it together.

My 3D model is coming in at about 117 pounds when made with 2 x 10 construction and about 100 pounds with 2 x 8 construction.

For this design you will need:

4 - 2" x 8" x 10' boards (cut one 38 inch piece and one 77 inch piece from each board)

14 - 1" x 4" x 8' firring strips (cut two 38 inch pieces from each board)

7 - Waddell Legs

4 - Waddell Corner (triangle) Plates

3 - Waddell Square Plates

This message was modified May 22, 2010 by laredo7mm
Reply #32 May 22, 2010 2:33 AM
laredo7mm wrote:

I am just going to use standard "2 by" lumber for the perimeter with 1 x 4 firring strips for the slats.  Since I have a king sized mattress, I am going to build two seperate foundations and bolt them together.  Nothing fancy, nothing pretty, but the bed skirt will cover it so I am not worried about pretty...lol

for legs, I am using what Home Depot calls a Waddell Leg.  Here is a picture:

They come in all different lengths.  I am going to use 6 or 9 inch legs.

To attach the legs to the foundation, i will use the Waddell Plates:

The legs come with the 5/16" screw in the end and that just screws into the above brackets.

With the two foundations bolted togeter, I will have one leg in each corner using the triangle shaped bracket.  And three legs down the center rail using the square bracket.

You could use 2 x 8 lumber, but I want a bit of extra height, so I think I am going to go with the 2 x 10 lumber.

I am going to use 14 slats, so on a king sized foundation, they will have about 2.375 inches between them.

I have the foundation modeled in 3D.  Let me see if I can get a screen shot and I will post the picture.

Wow now that is details smiley  Does HD have the wadell plates?  I guess you drill holes in the bottom of the frame, attach the waddel plant and then just screw in the legs?  Is this a kit or something at HD?  I will have to take a look I remember seeing legs at HD, didn't remember those plates though.  Cynicaljones could do that on her Sleepeze frame then couldn't she...if she decides to keep the mattress set.

That sounds like quite a project, and you really have it planned out, must be some great software you have to draw it out.  Does HD really have good lumber, and how can you tell if it is untreated?  I want safe untreated wood if I ever do this (husband does it I mean wink).

Thanks for the details and pics.  Should be nice and sturdy.

This message was modified May 22, 2010 by Leo3

Recent Posts