I'm going to be getting this latex mattress, with Latex International foam....
Jan 17, 2012 11:18 PM
https://healthychoicemattress.com/organic_collection/rose_mattress.htm

Does it look like good quality? How about the company, how does that look as well? Just looking for your input! Thanks

Re: I'm going to be getting this latex mattress, with Latex International foam....
Reply #8 Jan 19, 2012 2:58 PM
Hey guys, I've confirmed with the company that it is 100% natural latex, talalay, the whole way through! Now just trying to choose king or queen!
Re: I'm going to be getting this latex mattress, with Latex International foam....
Reply #9 Jan 19, 2012 6:30 PM
tjstogner wrote:

Hey guys, I've confirmed with the company that it is 100% natural latex, talalay, the whole way through! Now just trying to choose king or queen!

Once again, I'd verify if their warranty covers the bamboo encasement. as long as it does, it should be a very nice bed.

Reply #10 Jan 19, 2012 7:27 PM
jimsocal wrote:

I would ask them which layers are Talalay and which are Dunlop and ask again - maybe get it in writing! - that the core is 100% natural latex and of which process - Talalay or Dunlop.

If the toppers are Talalay then it may be worth the price. But you can also buy 3" layers much cheaper at overnightmattress.com and build your own mattress with 3-4 layers, cheaper that way. Then just get a wool topper somewhere. For $1290 in a Queen you can get a 3" core of 36ILD Talalay + middle core of 3" 32ILD Talalay + 3" of 19ILD Talalay - that's 9" of Talalay in a Q for $1290, an excellent price imho. Check their prices on Toppers/cores: http://overnightmattress.com/itemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=LAT&eq=&MatrixType=1

I don't work for them nor have any interest in promoting them, other than to point out what looks like a great deal when I see one. With 120 day return privilege it looks very good and I had one good experience with them a few years ago. I wanted 2" but I may buy one of their 19ILD layers. I would look very carefully into their written exchange/return policy before buying. Before when I returned something from them it was a strict policy but they did make the refund to me.

Jim,

That is an excellent idea. The Dunlop layer should be the core and the Talalay should be the chusioning layers.

The one thing about overnightmattress.com is the Talalay Latex they use blended latex and not 100% natural latex. Over 90% of the 100% natural latex sold my Latex international is a blened latex. By law they only have to have a very small percentage of 100% natural latex in the mattress to call it 100% natural latex. It is still better then most available, but not really any cheaper then you can get Blended Talalay Latex in many other places. It sounds like you have used them and they do honor their return policy so it sounds like a solid company to do business with and fair pricing. If you go that way you do want to use progressive layering and by that I mean you want to use a highest ILD on the bottom and each level above each layer should be = or lower ILD then the layer under it.
 I always believe you should use a 4 to 6" Dunlop core and then add the Talalay as the cushioning layers above. The cushioning layers above could be whatever ILD you find comfortable.

Latex has gotten to be the most difficult to figure out over the past couple fo years and very misleading. You will see 85/15, 60/40 as examples of blended latex. Most would think it is 85% natural Latex or 60% natural latex, but what it really means is it is 85% Blened Latex and 15% Ploy or 60% Blened Latex and 40% Poly. The 85% or 60% blended could actually only be 5% Natural Latex in either one or it Could 50% natural latex. Even could be less or more than those numbers and the only way for you to find out is to contact latex international and ask them directly.

I dont want to talk the company you are talking about. They sound like a good company and they have treated you well by offering a good product at a fair price and good customer service. That is hard to find in compaines now and when you find one better hold on to them :)

Dave

Reply #11 Jan 19, 2012 7:32 PM
megalops wrote:

Jimsocal, I do not believe the latex at overnight mattress is the 100% natural. I'm thinking it is blended. I do not see anywhere on their site where they mention 100% natural latex, and I'm pretty sure LI does not make the 100% Natural in 14 ILD. Their prices are still very good for blended LI talalay however.

The cheapest place online I've found 100% natural latex is SLAB, and that will cost around $2k for 9" of 100% natural LI Talalay in queen size. A quality encasement using 1.5" or more of wool is at least another $500.

Megalops,

Latex International does produce some 100% Latex mattresses, but it is less than 10% of their sales. They are the largest supplier of latex in North America and most companies that sell latex beds will be buying it from them. It is very hard to find a 100% natural latex mattress and when you do they are very expensive.

Reply #12 Jan 19, 2012 7:33 PM
megalops wrote:

Once again, I'd verify if their warranty covers the bamboo encasement. as long as it does, it should be a very nice bed.

I dont believe the warranty will cover the encasement. I dont know of any manufacture that covers fabic or stitching in their warranty.

Reply #13 Jan 19, 2012 7:41 PM
tjstogner wrote:

I really think it sounds like a good deal still, but I am now sure it is a blended latex. Nothing worng with it as it is still an excellent product and the talalay process is the best process for making consistant density latex.

::chuckles:: Call them up and say you are almost ready to make a purchase, but you want to make a deal with them. You will call Latex International and verify it is 100% natural latex and not blended. If it is blended you get it for 1/2 price and you would want that deal in writing. See if they take the deal or not. lol...the sales person may not actually know if it is blened or not though. I like tossing those types of deals at people just to see their response. You will be suprised how many people start back tracking and changing their story when you make them offers like that.

Reply #14 Jan 19, 2012 7:54 PM
DaveStro wrote:

Latex has gotten to be the most difficult to figure out over the past couple fo years and very misleading. You will see 85/15, 60/40 as examples of blended latex. Most would think it is 85% natural Latex or 60% natural latex, but what it really means is it is 85% Blened Latex and 15% Ploy or 60% Blened Latex and 40% Poly. The 85% or 60% blended could actually only be 5% Natural Latex in either one or it Could 50% natural latex. Even could be less or more than those numbers and the only way for you to find out is to contact latex international and ask them directly.

I'm pretty sure your statement is incorrect if refferring to Latex International. Latex international's Talatech is a 30/70 blend. 30% natural latex and 70% synthetic. Latex International's 100% natural latex is > 90% latex (some reports as high as 98%).

Your statement may hold some merit when referring to some other companies latex (like the 'S' companies), but not LI.

Reply #15 Jan 19, 2012 7:59 PM
DaveStro wrote:

I really think it sounds like a good deal still, but I am now sure it is a blended latex. Nothing worng with it as it is still an excellent product and the talalay process is the best process for making consistant density latex.

::chuckles:: Call them up and say you are almost ready to make a purchase, but you want to make a deal with them. You will call Latex International and verify it is 100% natural latex and not blended. If it is blended you get it for 1/2 price and you would want that deal in writing. See if they take the deal or not. lol...the sales person may not actually know if it is blened or not though. I like tossing those types of deals at people just to see their response. You will be suprised how many people start back tracking and changing their story when you make them offers like that.

I do believe the mattress in question could be 100% natural Talalay from LI based on the price. I just purchased a similar setup from flobeds using LI 100% natural latex at a comparable price. I still prefer the flobeds mattress due to the cotton/wool cover vs. the bamboo/wool cover used by this company. But if tjstogner is comfortable with this company and can get it in writing that they're using LI 100% Natural Latex, then it should be a nice bed at a fair price. I just don't think the cover is going to last too long.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2012 by megalops
Reply #16 Jan 19, 2012 7:59 PM
megalops wrote:

I'm pretty sure your statement is incorrect if refferring to Latex International. Latex international's Talatech is a 30/70 blend. 30% natural latex and 70% synthetic. Latex International's 100% natural latex is > 90% latex (some reports as high as 98%).

Your statement may hold some merit when referring to some other companies latex (like the 'S' companies), but not LI.

No I am correct with Latex international. I worked with them for years and have spoke indepth with our account rep and others at LI many times. Currently we do not offer any products from Latex international and I havent for about 2 years, but I am still very up to date with them and play golf every few months with some LI emplyoees including my old account rep.

Reply #17 Jan 19, 2012 8:13 PM
DaveStro wrote:

Good idea Dave. I have learned - unfortunately - that when it comes to people saying their latex is "100% natural" they sometimes either lie or don't really know. In any case I know that in the past one could call LI and ask and they would tell you if x vendor is indeed selling their latex and which type it is. MIght we worth actually giving them a call.

That said, while I think I do prefer 100% natural latex, the jury is still out on whether it really is any "better" and "better" is of course subjective especially when talking about comfort, not about durability. At least we know LI is a good company making a quality product, it's not like it's "jungle latex" with no consistency. But even that can be very comfortable, depending on the piece one happens to get! The problem with "jungle latex" (I mean latex from, say, Sri Lanka) is that you may find a great piece but then if you try to get another one exactly the same, it may be quite different.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2012 by jimsocal

Recent Posts