I'm going to be getting this latex mattress, with Latex International foam....
Jan 17, 2012 11:18 PM
https://healthychoicemattress.com/organic_collection/rose_mattress.htm

Does it look like good quality? How about the company, how does that look as well? Just looking for your input! Thanks

Re: I'm going to be getting this latex mattress, with Latex International foam....
Reply #15 Jan 19, 2012 7:59 PM
DaveStro wrote:

I really think it sounds like a good deal still, but I am now sure it is a blended latex. Nothing worng with it as it is still an excellent product and the talalay process is the best process for making consistant density latex.

::chuckles:: Call them up and say you are almost ready to make a purchase, but you want to make a deal with them. You will call Latex International and verify it is 100% natural latex and not blended. If it is blended you get it for 1/2 price and you would want that deal in writing. See if they take the deal or not. lol...the sales person may not actually know if it is blened or not though. I like tossing those types of deals at people just to see their response. You will be suprised how many people start back tracking and changing their story when you make them offers like that.

I do believe the mattress in question could be 100% natural Talalay from LI based on the price. I just purchased a similar setup from flobeds using LI 100% natural latex at a comparable price. I still prefer the flobeds mattress due to the cotton/wool cover vs. the bamboo/wool cover used by this company. But if tjstogner is comfortable with this company and can get it in writing that they're using LI 100% Natural Latex, then it should be a nice bed at a fair price. I just don't think the cover is going to last too long.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2012 by megalops
Re: I'm going to be getting this latex mattress, with Latex International foam....
Reply #16 Jan 19, 2012 7:59 PM
megalops wrote:

I'm pretty sure your statement is incorrect if refferring to Latex International. Latex international's Talatech is a 30/70 blend. 30% natural latex and 70% synthetic. Latex International's 100% natural latex is > 90% latex (some reports as high as 98%).

Your statement may hold some merit when referring to some other companies latex (like the 'S' companies), but not LI.

No I am correct with Latex international. I worked with them for years and have spoke indepth with our account rep and others at LI many times. Currently we do not offer any products from Latex international and I havent for about 2 years, but I am still very up to date with them and play golf every few months with some LI emplyoees including my old account rep.

Reply #17 Jan 19, 2012 8:13 PM
DaveStro wrote:

I really think it sounds like a good deal still, but I am now sure it is a blended latex. Nothing worng with it as it is still an excellent product and the talalay process is the best process for making consistant density latex.

::chuckles:: Call them up and say you are almost ready to make a purchase, but you want to make a deal with them. You will call Latex International and verify it is 100% natural latex and not blended. If it is blended you get it for 1/2 price and you would want that deal in writing. See if they take the deal or not. lol...the sales person may not actually know if it is blened or not though. I like tossing those types of deals at people just to see their response. You will be suprised how many people start back tracking and changing their story when you make them offers like that.

Good idea Dave. I have learned - unfortunately - that when it comes to people saying their latex is "100% natural" they sometimes either lie or don't really know. In any case I know that in the past one could call LI and ask and they would tell you if x vendor is indeed selling their latex and which type it is. MIght we worth actually giving them a call.

That said, while I think I do prefer 100% natural latex, the jury is still out on whether it really is any "better" and "better" is of course subjective especially when talking about comfort, not about durability. At least we know LI is a good company making a quality product, it's not like it's "jungle latex" with no consistency. But even that can be very comfortable, depending on the piece one happens to get! The problem with "jungle latex" (I mean latex from, say, Sri Lanka) is that you may find a great piece but then if you try to get another one exactly the same, it may be quite different.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2012 by jimsocal
Reply #18 Jan 19, 2012 8:16 PM
DaveStro wrote:

No I am correct with Latex international. I worked with them for years and have spoke indepth with our account rep and others at LI many times. Currently we do not offer any products from Latex international and I havent for about 2 years, but I am still very up to date with them and play golf every few months with some LI emplyoees including my old account rep.

http://www.greenmountainorganics.com/pdfs/savvy_rest/lilatex.pdf

Latex International (LI) certifies that the compound utilized to manufacture its Talatech® natural latex mattress cores and toppers includes only natural latex rubber harvested from the “Hevea Brasiliensis” rubber tree, as well as soaps and curing agents. We do NOT use any man-made or synthetic latex in our Talatech® natural latex formula.

The majority of 100% natural latex sleep products are produced via the Dunlop process, while our latex is produced via the Talalay process. LI’s proprietary compound mix required by the complex Talalay process includes raw materials such as natural rubber latex, zinc oxide, fatty acid soaps, and sulfur, which are needed for the vulcanization, foaming, and curing process.

You may want to share that with your golfing buddies, because I believe they're filling your head full of BS. Either that or the director of operations, Anthony Mancini is placing his job on the line and exposing LI to a massive class action suit.

This message was modified Jan 20, 2012 by megalops
Reply #19 Jan 22, 2012 12:12 AM
Hey guys- I called the assembly company that healthy choice uses, restopedic, (they put the mattresses together) and they confirmed that it's the 100% natural blend from LI, rather than the natural/synthetic blend. Mattress is being custom made and will arrive in approx 3 weeks! 25 year Warranty covers 3/4 of an inch of an impression.
Reply #20 Jan 22, 2012 10:41 AM
megalops wrote:

http://www.greenmountainorganics.com/pdfs/savvy_rest/lilatex.pdf

Latex International (LI) certifies that the compound utilized to manufacture its Talatech® natural latex mattress cores and toppers includes only natural latex rubber harvested from the “Hevea Brasiliensis” rubber tree, as well as soaps and curing agents. We do NOT use any man-made or synthetic latex in our Talatech® natural latex formula.

Interesting. That letter is dated from 2007; it might be worthwhile to contact LI and find out if their terminology has changed since then (it's hard to tell from their website). My understanding is that Talatech is the trademarked name of their blended-latex product, in which case the phrase "Talatech natural latex" is a contradiction in terms and (obviously) a possible source of much confusion. If they're using "Talatech" to refer to both their blended and all-natural products, that's even more confusing.*

I don't doubt that tjstogner's new mattress is 100% natural latex (should be, for the price); I just think that name "Talatech," used the way it is there, is a bit problematic.

tjstogner -- I hope you love your mattress and sleep great on it. smiley

-----------------------------

* And that might be the case -- see the LI-products comparison page on SLAB's website. "It is great that we offer more options but we also know that we have also made it much harder for someone to decide which topper is fit for them. To make it even more confusing ... the truth is that all these foams are Talatech® foams. The Talatech® that we originally knew is now a Classic Talatech® after the advent of Celsion™ and 100% Natural."  The Classic Talatech is described as "The original Talalay latex foam formula," which is "Blended Talalay latex foam made of botanical rubber and Styrene Butadine Rubber (SBR)."

(Shades of "Coke" and "Classic Coke" there -- not the best marketing strategy by LI, IMO; and I wouldn't use the "tech" suffix in the name of any all-natural product -- but hey, they don't ask me about these things.cheeky)

The best way to differentiate between the LI product lines is probably to go by the ILD designations, rather than by the names. ILDs of 14, 19, 24, 28, 32, 36 = blended. ILDs of N2, N3, N4, N5 = 100% natural. ILDs of 15, 21, 27 = Celsion (the blended stuff + phase-change material).

Thus endeth the Morning Geek-Out.

This message was modified Jan 22, 2012 by Catherine
Reply #21 Jan 22, 2012 11:02 AM
Catherine wrote:

Interesting. That letter is dated from 2007; it might be worthwhile to contact LI and find out if their terminology has changed since then (it's hard to tell from their website). My understanding is that Talatech is the trademarked name of their blended-latex product, in which case the phrase "Talatech natural latex" is a contradiction in terms and (obviously) a possible source of much confusion. If they're using "Talatech" to refer to both their blended and all-natural products, that's even more confusing.*

I don't doubt that tjstogner's new mattress is 100% natural latex (should be, for the price); I just think that name "Talatech," used the way it is there, is a bit problematic.

tjstogner -- I hope you love your mattress and sleep great on it. smiley

-----------------------------

* And that might be the case -- see the LI-products comparison page on SLAB's website. "It is great that we offer more options but we also know that we have also made it much harder for someone to decide which topper is fit for them. To make it even more confusing ... the truth is that all these foams are Talatech® foams. The Talatech® that we originally knew is now a Classic Talatech® after the advent of Celsion™ and 100% Natural."  The Classic Talatech is described as "The original Talalay latex foam formula," which is "Blended Talalay latex foam made of botanical rubber and Styrene Butadine Rubber (SBR)."

(Shades of "Coke" and "Classic Coke" there -- not the best marketing strategy, IMO, but hey, they don't ask me about these things.cheeky)

The best way to differentiate between the LI product lines is probably to go by the ILD designations, rather than by the names. ILDs of 14, 19, 24, 28, 32, 36 = blended. ILDs of N2, N3, N4, N5 = 100% natural. ILDs of 15, 21, 27 = Celsion (the blended stuff + phase-change material).

Thus endeth the Morning Geek-Out.

LI uses the term 'Talatech' for both products. They use Talatech Natural when referring to their 100% latex non blended version. If refering to their 30/70 blended product, they just call it Talatech.

Reply #22 Jan 22, 2012 11:13 AM
Catherine wrote:

I just noticed on that webpage the manufacturer's warranty on their Talatech Natural v.s. the Classic Talatech. They give a 20 year on their blended product, yet only a 10 year on their natural.

This leads me to believe budgy's theory even more about the LI making more money off their blended product vs. the all natural. They try to sway consumers and bedding manufacturers to buy their more profitable product by offering a much longer warranty which will almost certainly never be honored.

Reply #23 Jan 22, 2012 11:58 AM
megalops wrote:

This leads me to believe budgy's theory even more about the LI making more money off their blended product vs. the all natural. They try to sway consumers and bedding manufacturers to buy their more profitable product by offering a much longer warranty which will almost certainly never be honored.

Well, I'm not sure it's fair to speculate on whether they'll honor warranties that long -- 20 years is a long way out, and companies can change a lot in that time.

If I had to guess, I'd say they might, just because of my own recent experience with LI Customer Service. The responsiveness and service from both SLAB and LI were outstanding. Just FYI.

Reply #24 Jan 22, 2012 2:31 PM
Catherine wrote:

Well, I'm not sure it's fair to speculate on whether they'll honor warranties that long -- 20 years is a long way out, and companies can change a lot in that time.

If I had to guess, I'd say they might, just because of my own recent experience with LI Customer Service. The responsiveness and service from both SLAB and LI were outstanding. Just FYI.

I'm specualting that they won't receive products back with enough deterioration to meet the warranty requirements, not that they wouldn't honor it if there were.

Recent Posts