Ikea's latex beds
Feb 10, 2008 4:07 PM
Hello. I'm a new member on this site and I was just wondering if you can help me look for a good latex bed to replace my old one. I'm currently looking at the 3 that they offer at Ikea but am willing to look elsewhere. Keep in mind that I live in Canada so I may not have access to the same products as you. =P

Questions:
1. Does anyone know if the quality of these mattresses are good?
2. Do you recommend putting the bed on the slatted base or should I get a flat piece of plywood? Wouldn't the base distribute the weight unevenly and deteriorate the foam?
3. What do you use, and how often do you "clean" this type of bed?
4. It's selling for $1300 right now. Does it ever go on sale?

Thank you!
Re: Ikea's latex beds
Reply #1 Feb 10, 2008 5:28 PM
If you look through the forum, or search, there are a couple of threads where people reported on the Ikea latex beds.
Reply #2 Feb 10, 2008 9:11 PM
IKEA's Latex quality must be pretty good. They guarantee them for 25 years!
I looked in the Atlanta store and they are comfy in the higher end model. They have 3 different models.
Through March ,here in the USA stores anyway, they are giving a Gift Card instantly when you purchase  a mattress in store... The higher the mattress price the higher the Gift Card. I was looking at the $549 (US Dollars) and was going to get $100 instantly in an IKEA Gift card and they give it to you when you pay, so you could go back and anything with your extra, including the base. If you buy the $899 (US $) you would get $150 Gift Card instantly.( These prices were for a Full size for my son)
IKEA Atlanta is about 2 hours drive for me, so we shopped and bought the mattress from Foambymail.com and it will be here on Tuesday.
Probably the best thing about IKEA is that they give 25 years warranty.
If you haven't looked in the IKEA store you should, because the Gift Card rebate deal is not on the website at all. Instore they had signs hanging around.

Hope this helps.
Reply #3 Feb 13, 2008 5:22 AM
Ikea has a slatted base for it's latex mattresses and it's very inexpensive compared to other slatted bases offered by latex merchants. Although it's all right to put a latex mattress on a regular foundation, provided it's sturdy enough to support the extra weight of a latex mattress, I would hesitate to place it on plywood. I'd be concerned with moisture from the wood seeping into the mattress. Also, if you live in a very humid or very damp climate slats might be a better idea since it would allow air to circulate around the mattress.
Reply #4 Feb 13, 2008 8:14 AM
I wouldn't pay much attention to that 25 year warranty, since you would never be able to collect on it. Further, IIRC, Ikea used to have a lifetime warranty on mattresses. Just as worthless, but sounded more bogus. The mattresses may be OK for the $, and quality should be about the same as all Ikea products.
Reply #5 Feb 14, 2008 1:54 AM
Thank you everyone.

I just went to Ikea and they didn't really specify which slatted base was made for latex mattresses. Can anyone tell me which one you're referring to?

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categories/rooms/bedroom/10635/
Reply #6 Feb 15, 2008 5:39 AM
I was looking at the print catalog and there was only one slatted base. I always find it's best to call directly if you have specific questions for a particular vendor. If there is more than one, their salespeople should know exactly which one supports their latex mattresses.

Recent Posts